R.I.P. DogFriend

Is the Tioga Blue Dragon directional?

The knobs in the center of the tread have more of a ramp on one side than the other, but I can't find any directional arrows or other indication of the result of mounting them one way or the other.

Just wondering what, if any, difference this would make?

No good in rock gardens..

Blue Dragon

You are right about those little ramps, I think it's up to you which way you run them. Doesn't seem to matter - these tyres are hopeless either way IMHO.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

No good

Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    You are right about those little ramps, I think it's up to you which way you run them. Doesn't seem to matter - these tyres are hopeless either way IMHO.
    Didn't like them either.

Actually, it was a didn't-like-it-hand-me-down from a racer to my bike industry friend, who then didn't-like-it-hand-me-downed it to me. In a nutshell, I found that there were better tires with less drag and more grip (Nevegals). I even liked the Kenda Kinetics (non-Stick-E) better than the Blue Dragons.

I didn't-like-it-hand-me-downed it to a riding buddy with whom we used to ride somewhat competitive. At that time I was faster both up and down the mountain. He had been running on IRC Trailbears (2.5"!), and with the Blue Dragons he finally managed to turn the tide to beat me up the mountain with an end sprint. (FYI, the leap in size is not as dramatic as it appears, since the 2.1" nominal Blue Dragons actually measure 2.24") But coming down, he ate it big, fell off the trail at an segment with a bit of exposure. He missed major injury, but managed to scrape himself up, sprain his thumb, and cover himself in poison oak. He's one of those people that's extra-sensitive to poison oak, and it kept him off the bike for two weeks. His girlfriend now holds the opinion that my riding influence is an affront to responsible maturity, and I believe coupled with a belief that I am a hazard to their health.

The moral of this story must be either 1) to consider things carefully when you donate parts to other people, since blame may come back to you in some way when an accident occurs, regardless of actual fault; or 2) there's more than one way to beat competition.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    So, I'm gathering that the best way to mount these is to nail them to the garage wall...

Thanks for the responses.

Regards

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    So, I'm gathering that the best way to mount these is to nail them to the garage wall...
    Well, no. They were not terribly bad, not by any means. Just mediocre. That's why I said "regardless of actual fault". My friend ate it because he pushed them too hard, probably expecting the same degree of grip his 2.5" Trailbears provided, but at a reduced rolling resistance/weight.

No good in rock gardens..

Blue Dragons

Either way, they won't last long. Use 'em for bedding in new disc brakes / skidding competitions etc. I gave mine to a friend who had worn his back one out after about 6 weeks of XC trail riding. I reckon he'll get about a month out of it. The new Tiogas I've been involved with were all a little odd. Blue Dragon 2.1 - slow, heavy and not very grippy, wears quick. Red Phoenix 1.9 (rear use only) - super light, rolls fast, grips well considering the sparing tread, wears quick. Yellow Kirin 2.3 - big, heavy with lots of shallow tread blocks and not fond of gravelly stuff. For myself I love the Extreme XC for a trail tyre - light, good volume, rolls well, seems to work for me in most conditions. Once again, doesn't seem to last long.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....