We get titles?

Tioga Blue Dragon 2.3 at Cambria for $14

The sidewall finally blew out on one of my beloved WTB Weirwolf Race 2.5's, and I just don't have the budget for a new pair of those beauties. So, in trolling the discount sites, I found the Blue Dragon's at CBO for $14. That's about as cheap as you'll find a mtb tire, so I was pretty much sold right away.
    In reading the reviews on this site, I found a ridiculous range of opinions. They roll fast, they don't roll fast, they're great in the mud, they're awful in the mud, they're light, they're heavy - it's almost laughable. But since they weren't universally hated, and since I love a nice wide high volume tire, and since the price was right, I ordered a pair.
    I'm curious if anybody has any recent opinions on these tires. I searched this forum and didn't find anything less than two years old. And most of the older comments I did find were from Sideknob, who clearly hates these tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by upNdown
    The sidewall finally blew out on one of my beloved WTB Weirwolf Race 2.5's, and I just don't have the budget for a new pair of those beauties. So, in trolling the discount sites, I found the Blue Dragon's at CBO for $14. That's about as cheap as you'll find a mtb tire, so I was pretty much sold right away.
    In reading the reviews on this site, I found a ridiculous range of opinions. They roll fast, they don't roll fast, they're great in the mud, they're awful in the mud, they're light, they're heavy - it's almost laughable. But since they weren't universally hated, and since I love a nice wide high volume tire, and since the price was right, I ordered a pair.
    I'm curious if anybody has any recent opinions on these tires. I searched this forum and didn't find anything less than two years old. And most of the older comments I did find were from Sideknob, who clearly hates these tires.
    It is a basic square block tire, which generally work fine in a wide range of conditions. I would have no concerns about using it.

Tioga has pretty much stopped distributing mtb tires, which is sad.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I love it when Cambria is clearing stuff. You can try stuff and if you dont like it, you arent out full price
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Something screwy on the compound of these, all is fine, all is fine ohhhh crash as they slip out with no warning randomly.

The older Tiogra DH Factory 2.3's which came front and rear specific where cracking tyres and can normally be found cheap, huge volume to.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by upNdown
    And most of the older comments I did find were from Sideknob, who clearly hates these tires.
    Yeah, I like a few Tioga tyres, but not these!

A friend of mine sells GT's, and these came out on the GT range one or two years, paired with a 2.3 Yellow Kirin up front. Neither tyre was very popular or did very well hereabouts. Rapid wear on the rear Blue Dragon and so-so traction and washing out of the Yellow Kirin up front. They were also rather a heavy combo on the more XC oriented GT's.

One aspect of the Blue Dragon that sucked, was that Tioga sat the square traction knobs atop rounded rubber mounds. Wear on the square knobs seemed to be quite rapid, and you were left with these rounded mounds which didn't have a lot of traction for climbing etc. And overall wear was fast. I never found the 2.1 to be a good roller, though at least volume is good on these. Mud - fairly shallow, closely spaced tread. You work it out... Might make a better front tyre than a rear - though again some people hate the square profile and "on/off" cornering feel.

Tyres are very subjective and so dependent on terrain, bike setup and personal taste it's not funny. So you might like these - the 2.3's do have good volume. At least if you don't like them, I think you can rest assured that they probably won't last all that long....

Shiggy - we don't really see Tioga rubber Down Under anymore either, which I agree is sad as they did market some good ones.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

We get titles?
    Thanks for the comments. I'm excited to get these mounted. I haven't ridden a new set of tires in a while; I've gone through a couple of sets of weirwolf's and honestly would have bought another set, if I had the money. But the truth is, back in the days of disposable income, I used to be something of a tire geek. Sadly that tire pile has gone to dry rot and mold. Still, trying out new tires always gave me a thrill, so I'm looking forward to it, even though these aren't new in the sense of latest and greatest. I'll try to post some sort of review next week.
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

No good in rock gardens..
    It's nice to try new things, if you don't you might never know what you are missing.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

We get titles?
    I received the blue dragons today and mounted them, but I didn't have time to give them a good ride. BTW, kudos to cambria for processing the order so quickly, and I love that CBO takes paypal now. All I can say now is that I'd consider them a true 2.3. I'd read a lot of reviews about their size and volume and I expected these tires to be huge. They don't seem particularly huge or high volume to me, but I don't feel cheated because they're exactly what I'd expect from a 2.3. I look forward to shedding them this weekend and seeing what they can do.

We get titles?
    Well, based on one ride in fairly mixed conditions, I like them. They felt like they rolled pretty fast, at least the felt faster than the weirwolfs. Of course, how something feels is totally subjective, but they didn't feel slow. And nobody was coasting past me.
    They hooked up great on climbs, both hardpack and rocky, rooty. Very few spinouts.
    They did slip a couple of times on turns and totally washed out once, but I was pushing them until they'd slip and wash out, so I'm not sure that it is really a concern; I'll have to get a few more rides on them.

But if anybody's looking for a 2.3+ sized tire that's fairly lightweight and totally cheap, try these out; like I said, I like them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey upNdown, how about a post-seasn review? I'm especially interested in front application... Thanks.