mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Time to replace my Slant 6.....schwalbe or Bontrager?

I am about to replace my Slant 6 26x2.1 for either a Schwalbe Nobby nic, racing ralph or Bontrager XR3 (new version). From what I read my Slant 6 comes in at a claimed 700 grams. I did not realize they are that heavy. They are really not a very aggressive tire. Anyway looking at schwalbe's NN or RARA. On the specs I should be loosing around 300 grams for the pair in rotating weight. Will the be noticable? Would the more aggressive NN cancel out the weight savings over my slant 6? So far I have about 700 miles on the rear slant 6 and it is worn. How is the durability of the NN or RARA? Also concidering bontrager XR3 but I think I can get the Schwalbe for less vs the LBS. The best I have found for Schwalbe pricing is a chain reaction. About $61 for a nobby nic with SS and free shipping. I did demo a bike with the new XR3 and they seemed pretty good.
    2014 Niner RIP 9 (Roval Carbon wheels, Pike)

Sold:
    Trek Fuel EX8 29er (Rhythm Pro wheels, 2x conversion)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If your looking to lose tire weight, beware that many have Nobby Nic tires that are substantially heavier than the list weight. Check this thread:

Nobby Nic weights WAY off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yea I saw that thread. It seems to be the nobby nics and not so much the other schwalbe models

Sold:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, for mostly dry/packed conditions, the RaRa is a good rear tire. I can't recall mine's exact weight, but it was close to claimed.
    Even better prices here:
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo PaceStar 2,25" TL-Ready folding
    If you buy several tires, the shipping cost is pretty decent. I got 4 tires shipped for $28.

I wonder why?
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I am about to replace my Slant 6 26x2.1 for either a Schwalbe Nobby nic, racing ralph or Bontrager XR3 (new version). From what I read my Slant 6 comes in at a claimed 700 grams. I did not realize they are that heavy. They are really not a very aggressive tire. Anyway looking at schwalbe's NN or RARA. On the specs I should be loosing around 300 grams for the pair in rotating weight. Will the be noticable? Would the more aggressive NN cancel out the weight savings over my slant 6? So far I have about 700 miles on the rear slant 6 and it is worn. How is the durability of the NN or RARA? Also concidering bontrager XR3 but I think I can get the Schwalbe for less vs the LBS. The best I have found for Schwalbe pricing is a chain reaction. About $61 for a nobby nic with SS and free shipping. I did demo a bike with the new XR3 and they seemed pretty good.
    What type of terrain are you riding? What rims are you running?

i1dry?
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My rims are bontrager duster. My terrain is packed to loose over packed. Not alot of rocks but rooted. I have not yet torn a tire. I run tubeless

Sold:

I wonder why?
    My rims are bontrager duster. My terrain is packed to loose over packed. Not alot of rocks but rooted. I have not yet torn a tire. I run tubeless
    I run the same rims and have used both the RaRa and NN (Evolution Line). I ride in mostly forested areas with lots of roots and a small amount of rock. The trails can be hard pack, sandy, fine loose hard pack or really loose in some sections.

I'm assuming that you are using the Bontrager TLR strips to run tubeless. This is my set up. My preferred tire is the Rocket Ron 2.4 Snake Skin (Evolutiont Line) (front and rear, if possible) or 2.25 (rear, if the 2.4 won't fit). The newer models come in 2.35 (snake skin) and have replaced the 2.4's. My RaRa's and NN's are the same sizes (2.4 and 2.25). I highly recommend the larger (largest possible) tires with the Dusters. All of these Schwable tires perform better at a lower PSI. I'm about 180 lbs with gear and I rum them at about 20 psi front and 22 psi rear. The Rocket Rons are the most versatile of the group and simply rail corners at these pressures. They also work the best of the group when wet. I've never burped or had other issues with any of these tires.

The RaRa's roll the best but don't transition into the corners as well as the NN or Rocket Ron's. At speeds the RaRa's feel a bit skittish. The Ron's roll nearly as fast and transition exceptionally well into the corners, however, in really loose situations they are not quite a stable as the NN's (with the deeper and more open tread design). The NN's roll the slowest of the group, weigh the most and are best suited more looser more rugged terrain.

Two of the most raised concerns about the Rocket Ron's are wear and durability. I ride year round and use the Ron's most of the time except when riding a lot of rock or on ice. After two years the tread wear has been good and I've had no durability issues (torn sidewalls or otherwise). Many of my friends have switched from the RaRa's and NN's to Ron's with similar results. For most of us, the Ron's are our favourite all round tire.

Regardless of which tire you choose, I recommend the Evolution Line over the Performance tires.

Good luck.

i1dry?

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by i1dry View Post
    I run the same rims and have used both the RaRa and NN (Evolution Line). I ride in mostly forested areas with lots of roots and a small amount of rock. The trails can be hard pack, sandy, fine loose hard pack or really loose in some sections.

I'm assuming that you are using the Bontrager TLR strips to run tubeless. This is my set up. My preferred tire is the Rocket Ron 2.4 Snake Skin (Evolutiont Line) (front and rear, if possible) or 2.25 (rear, if the 2.4 won't fit). The newer models come in 2.35 (snake skin) and have replaced the 2.4's. My RaRa's and NN's are the same sizes (2.4 and 2.25). I highly recommend the larger (largest possible) tires with the Dusters. All of these Schwable tires perform better at a lower PSI. I'm about 180 lbs with gear and I rum them at about 20 psi front and 22 psi rear. The Rocket Rons are the most versatile of the group and simply rail corners at these pressures. They also work the best of the group when wet. I've never burped or had other issues with any of these tires.

The RaRa's roll the best but don't transition into the corners as well as the NN or Rocket Ron's. At speeds the RaRa's feel a bit skittish. The Ron's roll nearly as fast and transition exceptionally well into the corners, however, in really loose situations they are not quite a stable as the NN's (with the deeper and more open tread design). The NN's roll the slowest of the group, weigh the most and are best suited more looser more rugged terrain.

Two of the most raised concerns about the Rocket Ron's are wear and durability. I ride year round and use the Ron's most of the time except when riding a lot of rock or on ice. After two years the tread wear has been good and I've had no durability issues (torn sidewalls or otherwise). Many of my friends have switched from the RaRa's and NN's to Ron's with similar results. For most of us, the Ron's are our favourite all round tire.

Regardless of which tire you choose, I recommend the Evolution Line over the Performance tires.

Good luck.

i1dry?
    Gospel.

I've tried the NN, RoRo and RaRa. Ron's rock! Great lightweight grippy tire. My favorite for anything but muddy or rocky conditions.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yep I have the bontrager rim strips and also running 20/22 psi. I weigh about 170 w/ gear. I should be able to fit a 2.35 but that seems pretty wide. Are you running 2.35 front and rear? It sounds like you have the same riding conditions as me. Even the 2.35 is still lighter than my 2.1 slant 6. What bike do you ride? I am going to give the Rockets some serious thought.

Sold:

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Is this a legit deal? I dont even see a 2.25x26 RoRo SS Evo available on the schwalbe website. Is it because it is in Germany and Schwalbe is a german tire? This would be only about $85 for a set delivered.

Schwalbe Rocket Ron Evo SnakeSkin PaceStar 2,25" TL-Ready Faltreifen

Sold:

I wonder why?
    Yep I have the bontrager rim strips and also running 20/22 psi. I weigh about 170 w/ gear. I should be able to fit a 2.35 but that seems pretty wide. Are you running 2.35 front and rear? It sounds like you have the same riding conditions as me. Even the 2.35 is still lighter than my 2.1 slant 6. What bike do you ride? I am going to give the Rockets some serious thought.
    The wider the better!! I both my wife and I run Rons 2.4 front and 2.25 rear on our Motolites and I also run them 2.4 front and rear on my el Guapo. My wife's only 5'5" and about 120 lbs and she loves the larger tires.

We only run the 2.25's in the rear due to clearance issues. You should have no problem with the 2.35's up front.

i1dry?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    Yes, for mostly dry/packed conditions, the RaRa is a good rear tire. I can't recall mine's exact weight, but it was close to claimed.
    Even better prices here:
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo PaceStar 2,25" TL-Ready folding
    If you buy several tires, the shipping cost is pretty decent. I got 4 tires shipped for $28.
    How long did shipping take from Deutchland anyway?

Sold:

I wonder why?
    Is this a legit deal? I dont even see a 2.25x26 RoRo SS Evo available on the schwalbe website. Is it because it is in Germany and Schwalbe is a german tire? This would be only about $85 for a set delivered.

Schwalbe Rocket Ron Evo SnakeSkin PaceStar 2,25" TL-Ready Faltreifen
    The Bike-Discount offer is a good one. Schwalbe USA only carries a limited number of the full range of Schwalbe tires and most often they are out of stock.

On the Bike-Discount site, in the top right hand corner, you can choose you language and currency to make shopping easier. It looks like they have both the 2.25 and 2.35 TL-Ready EVO Snake Skin versions. You'd pay at least $90 per tire + shipping if you bought them from Schwalbe USA.

You can also get good deals on Schwalbe tires here: r2-bike.de Just click on the British flag for English translations and type "Scwhalbe Rocket Ron" in the "Produkt suchen" box. Note the R2 prices include VAT tax which I think will be removed when you check out.

i1dry?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the deals and imput. I used to live in DE so I have had to use the translate/english thing before.

Rep given to fsrxc and i1dry

Sold:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can't recall exactly - between 2 and 3 weeks (to Canada)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Time to replace my Slant 6.....schwalbe or Bontrager?

I received my order in a week. Placed order on a Thursday night and received them the following Thursday.