mtbr member
    May 2007

Ti spokes on the new wheel, or just the good ol' stainless steel?

My LBS also showed me some Ti spokes that would save about 100+ grams off the wheel for a mere $60 more on a custom rear wheel with a king hub and mavic 819 rim.

I was alway unsure about Ti on the spokes because of flex. The LBS said that since custom wheel spokes are tensioned rather high, its not really an issue.

So what are Ti spokes like in the real world? Do they make the wheel flex more? I would rather have a stifffer wheel and let the suspension to the work on bumps.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 09-17-2007 at 11:32 AM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Direct quote from Sheldon Brown.

"Titanium is also used for spokes, but, in my opinion it is a waste of money. Titanium spokes should only be used with brass nipples, which makes a combination that is not significantly lighter than stainless spokes with aluminum nipples."

Read more here: http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrm
    Direct quote from Sheldon Brown.

"Titanium is also used for spokes, but, in my opinion it is a waste of money. Titanium spokes should only be used with brass nipples, which makes a combination that is not significantly lighter than stainless spokes with aluminum nipples."

Read more here: http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
    Thanks for the help. I could see spending that money some where else.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Of course then, you could go with SS spokes that are almost as light as Ti. Also stated as the strongest spoke made. Sipin. Does cost though. I don't think they make for a stiff wheel like a Mavic crossmax SL, is only what I can compare it to.

the catalan connection
    Why you shouldn´t use al nipples on ti spokes?
    I´m looking for ti spokes for a friend. Someone has them online?
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

Ancient Winged Rider
    My LBS wheel builder said that Aluminum nipples can be used. Look a Alfred E. Bikes For Marwi Tye Spokes. I had a set of wheels made in the late 90's and I loved them. I am having another set made for my new ride. Yes, They are more expensive but they roll so much better if tuned right.

mtbr member
    I opted for the Ti spokes (King/XM819 wheelset) on the recommendation of my LBS and don't regret it at all. Yes, it's more expensive but there are few places where money is better spent than on a wheelset. Significantly lighter than a similar wheelset w/ SS spokes. Stiffness hasn't been a problem and they're still as true as the day I picked them up.
    2007 Ibis Carbon Mojo