mtbr member
    May 2004

thru axle confusion

I just installed a Reba RLT 15mm thru axle on my Karate Monkey, so I needed a front wheel to work with the fork. I bought a wheel off eBay advertised as: "Roval Control Trail 29 Front Wheel 29er, 15mm QR, From Specialized Epic"

The problem when I got the wheel is that the 15mm thru axle from my fork is too large to work. I checked a 9mm thru axle and it's too small. The end caps come off, but that doesn't do any good. What's going on here?

9mm axle:

15mm axle:

End cap off:

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Your first photo sure looks like a typical 5 mm skewer. Methinks you have your axle designations screwed up. My guess is that it is actually set-up for a 9 mm through axle (lots of specs are this way), but you are mistakenly calling a 5 mm QR a 9mm through axle....and your seller is an idiot.

FYI, the hole size for a typical QR is 9mm, as in this is the size of the of the dropouts, but it is only the very ends, or nubs of the axle in the hub itself that are 9mm, the skewer is actually 5 mm and fits through a hole in the 9 mm hub. I hope that made sense.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the reply. Then this is definitely a 9mm setup like I assumed. I was just confused by the extra space for the smaller skewer. The seller is taking back the wheel and giving me a refund, so all is well aside from lost riding time.

mtbr member
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's good that the seller is willing to take it back.

Just as an FYI, if you had a regular QR fork, this setup is actually pretty good. According to Specialized, with the 9mm through bolt, and the large OS28 endcaps (note how large of a surface area thost endcaps have that interface with the fork), it is actually stiffer and lighter than a 15 QR.