mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Thoughts on using a DT 240s rear 135 hub on a 142+ rear frame.

I've just purchased a 2012 Specialized Epic Carbon Expert 29er with the 142+ rear end. I'm having a set of Enve wheels built for my new bike and my LBS is suggesting I use my set of DT240s hubs from my almost new wheel build last summer with a set of arch rims on my 26" SWorks FSR Stumpy. However, if I take apart these wheels I'll need to get another set of wheels or hubs for the arches. But this will now be a back up bike and I don't need anything high end. So, I'm considering a closeout set of E5 Roval's for $300 (same wheels that came on the bike stock).

So how well with my DT240s rear hub work with an adapter on my new 142+ rear? Or should I buy a new set of hubs for the Enve build? A 142 rear DT240s hub and front hub will be about $500...$200-300 more than using my current DT240s hubs and getting a new wheelset for my 26".

So my choices are:
    Keep my Stans Arch/DT240s wheelset intact and buy new hubs for Enve build = $500 extra

or...

Use current set of DT240s hubs on Enve build with 142 adapter, sell used arch rims w/nipples and spokes (-$100), buy new Roval set for $300, = net of $200

My current Stans Arch wheelset was purchased new in September so hubs are still newish.

mtbr member
    I'd go for a hub with wider-spaced flanges that can take advantage of the 142mm spacing, rather than a longer axle spacer with a 135mm hub. The wider hubs can build into a much stronger wheel.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I could swap you a brand new 142 axle and end caps fror your 135.