mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Thoughts on Bontrager Jones ACX tires?

I just bought a wheelset on ebay and the wheels come with the Jones ACX tires (26 x 2.2, with tubes). I was wondering if many people here have run these tires and what the strengths/weaknesses are. They seem really light for the 2.2 width, but the tread pattern doesn't look too aggressive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Not bad actually...

They came with my wheelset as well and so far they have been okay. Seems to be a good tire for about anything I have thrown at it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

ACX 2.0s but not 2.2s

I've used the 2.0s or 2.1 (the smaller one). LIght as poop.
    Hooked up great. Little puncture prone due to the high TPI and lightness.
    Great race tire. But wore pretty fast too. Heard the 2.2s were a tougher though.
    Dirt Rag had a review last year. dirtragmag.com should have in archived somewhere.
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Pretty Good over-all tire.
    Weights vary bigtime for both sizes, I've got 2.2's that are lighter than the 2.1's by a fair margine so check em' before you buy em' if you can.

The only area I don't really care for them is in extremely loose over hardpack conditions.
    And Yes, they do wear fairly quick in dry conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the comments. I got the tires yesterday. They came installed on some Race Lite wheels that I bought on ebay - brand new and taken off a Trek Liquid 55 I believe. The front wheel with tire seemed noticeably lighter than what I currently have on the bike (Bontrager Superstock + IRC Trail Bears). I guess the numbers don't lie. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

cyk
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Good if not great.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeldog
    I just bought a wheelset on ebay and the wheels come with the Jones ACX tires (26 x 2.2, with tubes). I was wondering if many people here have run these tires and what the strengths/weaknesses are. They seem really light for the 2.2 width, but the tread pattern doesn't look too aggressive.

Just picked up a set and my initial impressions are that they hook up really well, but they seem optimistic about the 2.2 measurement. I haven't had them long enough to get a handle on wear, but so far, I'm pleased with the grip and weight. No flats yet.....knock on wood. In relation to WTB Mutanoraptor, I'd rate the Bontys as having less grip and aren't as supple, but that may be due to the 2.4 size I was running on the WTB. That being said, the Bonty's are way better than the cheapie IRC Mythos that are selling for about $15 these days............talk about disposable tires.........those things last me about 15 rides before shredding........plus very prone to flatting.

Whatever the case, Bonty ACX are ok in my book.
    Earn the descent.