mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Thinking of new wheels...what to expect

Currently I have a 2011 Trek Fuel EX8. It has the stock bontrager duster wheels with shimano 525 hubs. I am concidering either upgrading my wheels or picking up a 29er HT like a Trek Superfly elite or Cannondale F29-2 to up my speed/efficiency. The wheels I am looking at are Stans either crest or arch ex. I weigh about 165lbs with gear. I ride single track mostly XC nothing too technical or drop offs. What can I expect for a difference over my duster wheels. The shimano 525 hubs dont seem to freely spin as well as i would think also. I have yet to damage my duster wheels.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Currently I have a 2011 Trek Fuel EX8. It has the stock bontrager duster wheels with shimano 525 hubs. I am concidering either upgrading my wheels or picking up a 29er HT like a Trek Superfly elite or Cannondale F29-2 to up my speed/efficiency. The wheels I am looking at are Stans either crest or arch ex. I weigh about 165lbs with gear. I ride single track mostly XC nothing too technical or drop offs. What can I expect for a difference over my duster wheels. The shimano 525 hubs dont seem to freely spin as well as i would think also. I have yet to damage my duster wheels.
    The first thing to try is servicing the hubs of your current wheels. Shimano hubs need regular maintenance to keep spinning smoothly.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The hubs have been that way since day one. What is all involved with servicing the hubs? Could they have been over tightened from the factory? They do not make any noises. If you pick up the front and spin the wheel it will slow and stop after about 5 or so revolutions.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The hubs have been that way since day one. What is all involved with servicing the hubs? Could they have been over tightened from the factory? They do not make any noises. If you pick up the front and spin the wheel it will slow and stop after about 5 or so revolutions.
    Your LBS should have done it before the bike always sold. Shimano hubs should spin freely.

If you have not serviced cup and cone bearing hubs before you should get help to do it right.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Shimano hubs are easy to service and should spin as well as any hub on the market. The M525's biggest weakness is weight...they are kind of tanks. Some have issues with the freehub body but that's usually heavier riders than you.

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Hub Overhaul and Adjustment
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I will will take in for service this week. The bike only has 400 miles on it. Maybe they were not right from the get go.

So how about the stans wheels? Will I see a noticable difference? Or should just run what I have?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    I will will take in for service this week. The bike only has 400 miles on it. Maybe they were not right from the get go.

So how about the stans wheels? Will I see a noticable difference? Or should just run what I have?
    The Stans ZTR hubs and the Arch EX rims are pretty light so you will feel a weight difference. The Stans hub uses a pretty soft aluminum freehub body so you'll need to also buy a higher end cassette that has the larger cogs on an aluminum carrier. This will also save some weight, but increase your expenditures.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog