There's always next year.

Thinking about a Wheelset Upgrade; Am I Crazy?

Looking for people smarter than I to help me out here... Please be gentle!

I currently have a Specialized Epic Carbon Comp with the stock wheels. Looking towards in future at a wheelset upgrade. Looking to get some carbon rims ideally, but with 6 month babies at home my teacher's salary won't let me go down the Enve road. I was looking to find a way to build up a new wheelset similar to the Roval Control SLs, but cheaper:

Front Hub-- reuse the stock Spec hub. I didn't think I'd get won over by OS28 'standard' Spec uses, but its been great for my riding style. I've been shocked, honestly. I also can't find anybody who makes OS28 hubs.

Rear Hub-- Hope EVO or DT Swiss 240s. No experience with DTs, but always wanted 'em. Have experience with a Hope SS hub that just won't die; and love the Hope buzz. DT worth the extra $? I want something light, bulletproof, and easy to work on.

Rims-- Light Bicycle AM 29ers. AM because I'm a bigger guy around 210 pounds. Seems like there are lots of strong opinions on both sides here, and posters on both sides that I respect (and know far more than I) I'm not worried about busting/breaking them, but some of the posts I've seen on QC issues concern me somewhat.

Spokes/Nipples: This is where I have no idea. DT Revolutions?

I'd like to have a local shop/wheel-builder put it all together for me. While I haven't run exact figures, I think I'd come out ahead of the Control SLs on price. I don't race much, but like to go as fast as I can when I'm out. Don't spend much time in the air, so very much of an XC guy, whatever that means anymore! Am I totally off my rocker here? This way I could pick away at things when extra cash shows up or I find a deal or two. Or would I just be better off saving up and picking up one of the more expensive, pre-built options.

Thanks for your time/advice!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I personally run CK hubs, but was torn between the DT 240s or the CK.

If weight is your concern, then DT 240 over something like the Hope EVO.

The DT 240s is a very good hub. And is very easily serviceable.

Terms of spokes and nipples it all depends on riding style etc. But since you said XC, I would probably go with some alloy nipples over brass. DT spokes are good as well.

The Light Bicycle are probably your best bet in terms of carbon if you are on a budget. ENVE's are awesome, but obviously very pricey. The builder I spoke with said that the Chinese carbons were difficult to get true, but I'm sure by now the QC issues have been wrinkled out. Have you decided on how many holes? 28? 32? 3x 2x?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    210 lbs and Revos? Not a good idea IMO. I would stick with 15/14/15 DB spokes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'd do a mix of Revolution and Competition spokes, Revs. everywhere except the rear drive-side. Those rims are STIFF, you can get away with lighter spokes.

Hope rear hub is much less expensive than the DT, and IMO, if you're willing to spend DT 240 money, there are better options, like the new I9 Torch hub. Only a tiny bit heavier, less expensive, and waaaaaaay faster engagement. And they come in pretty colors.

I've built about a dozen of those Light-Bicycle rims, reviews thus far are all positive. They can be troublesome to set up tubeless, not as easy as a Stan's rim, not with some tires at least. Next time I build some I'm planning to do 2 layers of the Stan's yellow tape intead of just 1, hopefully that'll make set up easier.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    I'd do a mix of Revolution and Competition spokes, Revs. everywhere except the rear drive-side. Those rims are STIFF, you can get away with lighter spokes.

Hope rear hub is much less expensive than the DT, and IMO, if you're willing to spend DT 240 money, there are better options, like the new I9 Torch hub. Only a tiny bit heavier, less expensive, and waaaaaaay faster engagement. And they come in pretty colors.

I've built about a dozen of those Light-Bicycle rims, reviews thus far are all positive. They can be troublesome to set up tubeless, not as easy as a Stan's rim, not with some tires at least. Next time I build some I'm planning to do 2 layers of the Stan's yellow tape intead of just 1, hopefully that'll make set up easier.
    Thanks for the advice all!

I figured I could get away with Revs because its what Spec claims the Roval Control SLs are built with, but also because from what I've read it seems that you can get away with lighter spokes because carbon rims are stiffer.

I figured I'd go 32 holes on the rims. I don't do anything crazy on the bike, like I said. Just looking for a stiff, light weight wheel set with some 'get up and go.' I did some pricing out just online shops and with MSRP, and I've still got a aways to go before I've got the money to go ahead.

dgaddis1-- I snooped around your webpage and facebook... I might hit you up latter when the time comes!