mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Are these spokes counterfeit, bulk, both?

Hi all, Hope you can help me figure this one out...I'm new to wheelbuilding, and have a box of suspicious spokes.

I recently purchased a box of black DT revolutions @291 mm from a dealer on ebay. The spokes arrived yesterday and there were 75 spokes in the box rather than 72. Fine with me. Maybe he buys them in bulk and repackages them in DT boxes. I don't care.

However, when measured with a spoke ruler they turned out to be 290mm rather than 291.. Ok so he sent the wrong length, I might make them work..

But most strange- When I weighed them with a calibrated scale, they turned out to be 153 g for a bundle of 32. DT rev's are supposed to weigh 137 g for 32. So what's going on? It couldn't possibly be that the black coating is adding 16 g of weight.. thats almost the weight of four spokes...

Are they fake or am I missing something? I don't know what else would explain the weight difference. The DT logo is stamped on the heads of the spokes and I searched around for evidence of counterfeit spokes, but didn't see much. What do you all think? Thanks...

Sorry don't know why the image is rotated by the uploader
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are these spokes counterfeit, bulk, both?-photo.jpg  

Old school BMXer
    When DT Swiss quotes spoke weight, they usually include a length, such as typically about 260 to 264 mm (the actual spec seems to vary depending on where you look, so take that with a grain of salt). Of course the longer spokes will weigh more.

Oddly, different spoke companies measure their spokes differently. Some go to the inside of the bend, others to the center of the spoke after the bend. Unfortunately, I don't remember what method DT uses.

Regarding the 75 box count (vs the typical 72), I don't know.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbpete
    If the spoke measures a little over 290 it's probably a 291. On my spoke length gauges the spokes rarely if ever line up with their actual length - they're always a little under.

beer is good
    That's about right...like blaster says they give a length for their weight
    check it:

DT Swiss - DT revolution
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks all! To followup..
    @changingleaf good point... they were dead on at 290mm, but maybe the spoke ruler is off by a mm.. or there is measurement error...

@blaster and nels... great info..thanks
    spoke weight @260 mm is supposed to be 137 g
    and @264 mm it is supposed to be 143 g (according to DT)

These spokes are 153 g @260 or 261 mm

A difference of 16 g seems pretty extreme. I checked the scale using pennies, and it seems dead on.

Does anyone have 32 black revs to weigh? I'd be curious if 32 revs at any length weighed 153 g...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by jrat2010 View Post
    Thanks all! To followup..
    @changingleaf good point... they were dead on at 290mm, but maybe the spoke ruler is off by a mm.. or there is measurement error...

@blaster and nels... great info..thanks
    spoke weight @260 mm is supposed to be 137 g
    and @264 mm it is supposed to be 143 g (according to DT)

These spokes are 153 g @260 or 261 mm

A difference of 16 g seems pretty extreme. I checked the scale using pennies, and it seems dead on.

Does anyone have 32 black revs to weigh? I'd be curious if 32 revs at any length weighed 153 g...
    The length of the thicker butted (threaded) section also varies with spoke length.

IME DT's claimed weights have always been with a few grams for the stated length.

16g is only 0.5g/spoke. Half a gram is nothing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    DT lists them at 141.5g for 32, at 264mm. You have 290mm spokes, so 26mm extra per spoke, or 832mm extra spoke length. Thats like having 3 extra 264 spokes in the bundle, and at 5 grams each spoke their numbers pretty much exactly line up with what you got.

Thats pretty dead on!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wow. thanks. This thread should have never happened. Sorry. I had a brain fart, and thought for a a second that i had 260, rather than 290 mm spokes. The extra 3 cm makes up for all the weight difference.

mtbr member

That's what she said.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29