mtbr member
    Jul 2011

is there a notable difference in these wheelsets?

i'm trying to compare the 2013 Norco Charger 6.3 versus 2013 Spec Hardrock Disc and the differentiating aspect seems to be biggest in the wheelset according to some. so i'm looking for any truth to it. specifically, the Norco is $240 more in price, but comes with WTB sx19 rims + Shimano RM35 centerlock disc hubs while the Spec comes with proprietary alloy double-wall 25mm rims + proprietary alloy disc hubs double sealed loose bearing. both are 32 holes with stainless steel spokes. i'm looking for the best bike for my 12 year old son for the next 3 years at least without having to worry about upgrades or poor reliability on the trail. any feedback is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Im a big shimano fan, but the non series stuff (the RM35) usually isnt very well sealed and sometimes just isnt quite the quality you'd expect from shimano. I havent seen any non-shimano loose ball hubs that I thought were very good either.

However, 240 bucks can very easily get you some great, durable, high quality wheels. Even if you dont build them yourself. Chances are both of those stock wheels arent well built as well, thats going to be the biggest durability concern.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    One Pivot -- thank you for the info. to be clear, are you saying that the $240 higher price of the Norco doesn't necessarily get me a much better wheelset? so, i'd be better off either staying lower end with lower end price point anyway (ie, Spec Hardrock) and or using the extra money to either upgrade the wheels after-market or just buy a better overall bike in a couple of years after he's beaten up this bike with its stock compenents/wheelset? i'm not sure if the Spec Hardrock is worth putting upgrade money into it. thanks again.

mtbr member
    If all else is equal, the extra $240 bucks in no way justifies the wheels. They're not really better or significantly different.

The norco has a little more travel and its 9 speed. It might be worth the extra cost otherwise.

Im seeing $660 MSRP for the spec, so $900 for the norco. I think you can do waaay better for $900 bucks. From a bike shop, you should be able to get a 9 speed hardtail with deore or better level components. But as is, I dont think the $240 extra makes sense.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    that helps. to frame it with more detail as just fyi, not to expect the answer to differ, i can get the Spec for $560 all-in while the Norco would be about $800 all-in, but your price proxies were close enough. unless there's a lay-up reason to pay more i'd prefer not to and so far it's not looking like the norco is a better deal than the spec for my son. thx.