mtbr member
    May 2007

Is there a "best" rim tape for tubeless?

I have been spoiled by Mavic UST for some 6 yrs now. The 819 I have is finally going.

I'm replacing it with a WTB I23. So, I need rim tape.

I know WTB has theirs, which looks to be made by Stan's. It's probably the same stuff, just rebranded.

Is there anything that is better? Or does it not really matter?
    (I know i need 28 mm according to WTB)
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

transmitter~receiver
    Been impressed by this stuff.
    Seems to be the same as Stan's, only blue. Took me a while to find it cheap... someone on mtbr hooked it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    I just used Stans tape for my i23s. 25mm too. It is working brilliantly, and was a hell of a lot easier to tape up and mount a tire too!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Seems to be the same as Stan's, only blue. Took me a while to find it cheap... someone on mtbr hooked it up.
    That's a hell of a lot cheaper than Stans of WTB for sure. As I research this, it appears anything that can get a good seal on anodized Al and does not stretch, will work. (as long as it's wide enough)
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    That would be the "Specialized" tape...

Gorilla tape is the most fool proof since it doesn't require much for rim prep. But the 3M 8898 works great too as long as you prep the rim well by cleaning the surface thoroughly with rubbing alchohol first.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

transmitter~receiver

Is there a "best" rim tape for tubeless?

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    That would be the "Specialized" tape...

Gorilla tape is the most fool proof since it doesn't require much for rim prep. But the 3M 8898 works great too as long as you prep the rim well by cleaning the surface thoroughly with rubbing alchohol first.
    I used it on some pretty heinous looking carbon (nancy wides) and it seems to work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    I used it on some pretty heinous looking carbon (nancy wides) and it seems to work fine.
    I had issues with the painted Stans rims...needed to sand the rim bed and clean with rubbing alcohol. Maybe the surface was too smooth and slick.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

R.I.P. DogFriend
    NOPI 4092 The Packaging Group

A friend turned me onto a few rolls of this stuff, and it blows stans tape into the weeds. It is so thin, you can see through it, but it is strong enough to be stretched like stans. Since it is only 1/2" wide, I put three or four wraps around to cover everything. It resists sealant better than anything I have seen and works with tubes as well as tubeless.

With the rolls I have, it will take some time before I need more, but when that time comes, I don't know who will sell single rolls. But, I will surely find out since this stuff works so well.

mtbr member
    Gorilla Tape. It has worked very well for me on a few sets on i23s.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    NOPI 4092 The Packaging Group

A friend turned me onto a few rolls of this stuff, and it blows stans tape into the weeds. It is so thin, you can see through it, but it is strong enough to be stretched like stans. Since it is only 1/2" wide, I put three or four wraps around to cover everything. It resists sealant better than anything I have seen and works with tubes as well as tubeless.

With the rolls I have, it will take some time before I need more, but when that time comes, I don't know who will sell single rolls. But, I will surely find out since this stuff works so well.
    Because of Jeff's post above I tried Nopi tape and I really like it. It is much thinner and lighter than Gorilla tape. It sticks well and the adhesive layer is much thinner than Gorilla tape. I used three layers of it stretched very tight. The tape is strong and you can pull hard on it as you are laying it down. It is also elastic. Occasionally I got bubbles. I used my thumbnail to squeeqee them away or I would just pop them with a pin prick and then squeegee the air out the hole.

In the USA I couldn't find the Nopi 4092 that Jeff recommends. I could only find this version which is a little thinner. I got it at Find Tape.

JVCC TPS-01 Light Duty Tensilized Polypropylene Strapping Tape
    Size: 1 in. x 60 yds. (24mm x 55m), Color: Black
    Quantity: 1 roll $2.48 ($2.48 per roll)

That is about a tenth the price of Gorilla tape but I would pay more for it. I recommend it unless you want a thicker tape to build up the layers for a tighter fit between the tire and the tape.

I used Stan's Valves and they sealed well with the tape.

The only other tape I have tried for tubeless is Gorilla tape.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by dugt View Post
    Because of Jeff's post above I tried Nopi tape and I really like it. It is much thinner and lighter than Gorilla tape. It sticks well and the adhesive layer is much thinner than Gorilla tape. I used three layers of it stretched very tight. The tape is strong and you can pull hard on it as you are laying it down. It is also elastic. Occasionally I got bubbles. I used my thumbnail to squeeqee them away or I would just pop them with a pin prick and then squeegee the air out the hole.

In the USA I couldn't find the Nopi 4092 that Jeff recommends. I could only find this version which is a little thinner. I got it at Find Tape.

JVCC TPS-01 Light Duty Tensilized Polypropylene Strapping Tape
    Size: 1 in. x 60 yds. (24mm x 55m), Color: Black
    Quantity: 1 roll $2.48 ($2.48 per roll)

That is about a tenth the price of Gorilla tape but I would pay more for it. I recommend it unless you want a thicker tape to build up the layers for a tighter fit between the tire and the tape.

I used Stan's Valves and they sealed well with the tape.

The only other tape I have tried for tubeless is Gorilla tape.
    Very cool that you like it. If you are getting bubbles under it, in my experience, it is because you are not stretching it enough. You can really pull VERY hard on it and it tends to conform better to the spoke bed. And, once you get the first layer down, this becomes even more critical as you can't push the bubbles onto the spoke holes to get rid of them once the first layer is down.

Thanks for posting the source too! With 60 feet per roll, you should be able to wrap at least 7 29er wheels with a $2.48 roll. That's about $0.35 per wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    How important is it not to get bubbles under the tape? Got quite a few when applying my WTB 30mm tape to my new LB rims...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hanger View Post
    How important is it not to get bubbles under the tape? Got quite a few when applying my WTB 30mm tape to my new LB rims...
    Good question. If a bubble bursts while you are riding, Stan's might get inside the bubble and destroy the adhesive on that part of the tape. If it is just one layer and it is over a spoke hole and the bubble brakes, you will be walking unless you have a tube with you.

How likely is the bubble to break? I would think it would be unlikely but **** happens.

If you just have one layer of tape I think any bubbles are unacceptable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I wish there was a universal equivalent of the Bontrager plastic strips. Those are AMAZING compared to tape. I miss my Bontrager wheel set due to this.

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I wish there was a universal equivalent of the Bontrager plastic strips. Those are AMAZING compared to tape. I miss my Bontrager wheel set due to this.
    Not exactly the same, but it works
    http://www.eclipse.ch/new/Tubelesskits.html

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by dugt View Post
    Good question. If a bubble bursts while you are riding, Stan's might get inside the bubble and destroy the adhesive on that part of the tape. If it is just one layer and it is over a spoke hole and the bubble brakes, you will be walking unless you have a tube with you.

How likely is the bubble to break? I would think it would be unlikely but **** happens.

If you just have one layer of tape I think any bubbles are unacceptable.
    You can get by with a single layer of Stans tape, but if I was putting on Stans tape, I would put two layers as long as I have enough tape.

As for the bubbles, I don't think I have ever had a failure due to having the odd small bubble, and sometimes you can stop and use a fingernail to push the bubble to a spoke hole or to the outside of the tape to get rid of it. I mostly just like to have a clean installation. Maybe others have had 'bubble-trouble' ;~)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    25mm is a little bit on the narrow side for i23 but works ok.
    I use 29mm tape from superstar components and the fit is better, the tape goes up to the sidewalls which allow a better sealing (otherwise the tape end just after the UST lip).
    Bubbles are a non issue, as they have no way to break. One tip is to use a tube to press perfectly the tape before going tubeless.
    And don't forget that tape must be strong enough to survive spoke failure, which can nails through tape easily.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac_Aravan View Post
    25mm is a little bit on the narrow side for i23 but works ok.
    I use 29mm tape from superstar components and the fit is better, the tape goes up to the sidewalls which allow a better sealing (otherwise the tape end just after the UST lip).
    I have been using 19mm tape on Stans Flow rims. I use three layers. The first goes down the middle, the next to one side, and the last to the other side. I have not tried letting it go up the inside of the rim wall. I would use wider tape if I had it, but I don't and I haven't really needed it either. BUT, it would seem to be a better choice if available.

Bubbles are a non issue, as they have no way to break. One tip is to use a tube to press perfectly the tape before going tubeless.
    When I stretch the tape hard enough, I can generally get a bubble free installation. The key for me is to really pull the tape HARD when laying it down.

And don't forget that tape must be strong enough to survive spoke failure, which can nails through tape easily.
    I have had two spoke failures (actually nipple failures) in the two and a half years I have been using this particular tape, with no damage to the tape. Small sample size, but so far, no reason for concern. . . . so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    When you use Gorilla tape once around is fine or do you go around twice.

mtbr member
    Technically you only need to cover just the spoke holes for tubeless ready rims right ?
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yup!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by caRpetbomBer View Post
    When you use Gorilla tape once around is fine or do you go around twice.
    I go once, but I pass the other end by aprox 4". I use the smaller roll of G-Tape = 25mm or 1" roll for $2.69 at Home DePOT.

I thought about buying the "real" tape but I found it is less painfull on the wallet when you have to rip off the tape or if you mess up a tape job, you are only out a few pennys instead of a few bucks. Plus the left over tape can be used elsewere....
    I good tape job should work fine with once around the rim..anything more is just insurance...
    .02c
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but gorilla tape only lasts 2-3 tire swaps for me before the tire bead sticks to the tape and moves it around and it's no longer air tight.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm not taking my tires off for "swaps". I ride until an issue or new rubber.
    If I was to put on a new different tire I personnaly would rip off the tape and start over and because I use cheap ghetto tape so it's no worries. If I don't have enough, it's Sunday and the LBS is closed....I can still get my tape at HD and seal up my wheels... < .025c
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm just surprised bontrager is the only common hard plastic kind...

That stuff is bulletproof. I wonder if it would fit my rovals...