Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    214

    Syntace W35 MX wheelset

    hello there.

    I ride S-Works 2011 Enduro frame I got new, along with all the components from used 2010 Enduro Comp.
    I'm chainging parts to suit my preferences and the only thing I'm not sure about is the wheelset.

    I'm really this close to seal the deal for Syntace W35 MX wheelset.
    was looking around the Internet and was talking to fellow riders and was given a big number of options. I ended up convincing myself W35 is what I want.

    it is a wallet destroying price tag here, I know, but was exchanging e-mails with the Syntace people and they confirmed it to me they really do give 10 years warranty (first three years free new wheelset if I was ever to break them, and following 7 years 50% discount on the wheels if destroyed) - which convinced me those guys really believe in their products, and usually that means high quality.

    all the Syntace product reviews I read all over the Internet sound like paid ads - people seem to really have a big appreciation for all thing Syntace.

    anyway - just want to see if anyone here is using them and I want to know how they feel like. they're a bit unique as they're really wide (35 mm outside and 28,4 mm inside width), which is superior to narrower designs on so many levels.

    so, if anyone rides them, please share your experiencies with them.
    thanx!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hikers Only's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    422
    I don't own them but pinkbike had a good write up on them. Personally I love wider rims.

    Syntace W35 MX Wheels - Tested - Pinkbike

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    214
    thanx man, I read that review a while ago.
    wanted this forum users to give me their real life review of things.

    not that I don't believe Pinkbike, just wanted some unprofessional look on things, you know...

    thanx anyway

    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    I don't own them but pinkbike had a good write up on them. Personally I love wider rims.

    Syntace W35 MX Wheels - Tested - Pinkbike

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,122
    I cant find the rims for sale.. are they really selling these only as sets?

  5. #5
    IllumaDucati
    Reputation: Roadsters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I can't find the rims for sale. Are they really selling these only as sets?
    I've searched too, and that's what it looks like. Too bad, although I'm sure the wheels are very good.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    214
    you can get each wheel separately, not only as a pair - and I think you can not get rim only.

    they have ALL the options imaginable for the wheels
    http://www.syntace.de/download/pdf/w...Uebersicht.pdf

    here you can see the buy option for a single wheel
    Syntace

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    26

    Syntace Wheels

    Hi ashas,

    Kenny Roberts here from Syntace USA. We've only sold wheels in Europe at this point so not too many people in the US that have ridden the wheels except a few of us here at Syntace USA and some media guys. We were expecting wheels to be available by end of Dec but now we're lookingb closer to the end of Feb. I've been ridng the 26" and 650b's for a while now and am pretty impressed - YES, I know I work for Syntace BUT I spent 6 yrs with DT Swiss and I've been rading and racing for close to 30 yrs! Besides the Pinkbike test we've just gotten some reviews by BIKE and Bicycling comung out soon. If you really want them you can pre-order them from us direct and you will be one of the first in the US to get them. You can contact me directly at kenny@syntace-us.com

    Thanks - Kenny
    Radsport USA - Home

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    214
    hey Kenny!
    thanx for the info.

    I'm not american, I'm european and am already in contact with my local distributor and they're giving me a very good deal on W35 (am even thinking about W40, but I'll see about that) - just wanted to get as much info as possible before purchase and the killing of my wallet

    I also talked to Nathaniel Goiny for the Syntace central and he gave me heads up regarding some info I was interested in. cool guy.

    it's good to see you guys follow the community and respond when you see your brands being discussed. good thinking.
    regards,
    Sasha



    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperBike View Post
    Hi ashas,

    Kenny Roberts here from Syntace USA. We've only sold wheels in Europe at this point so not too many people in the US that have ridden the wheels except a few of us here at Syntace USA and some media guys. We were expecting wheels to be available by end of Dec but now we're lookingb closer to the end of Feb. I've been ridng the 26" and 650b's for a while now and am pretty impressed - YES, I know I work for Syntace BUT I spent 6 yrs with DT Swiss and I've been rading and racing for close to 30 yrs! Besides the Pinkbike test we've just gotten some reviews by BIKE and Bicycling comung out soon. If you really want them you can pre-order them from us direct and you will be one of the first in the US to get them. You can contact me directly at kenny@syntace-us.com

    Thanks - Kenny
    Radsport USA - Home

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    26
    Hi Sasha,

    You're welcome! Glad to hear that you got some info from Nathaniel. Yeah, he's a cool guy and good rider too! We try to stay on top of the forums since it's very important these days. Was out riding the wheels today on the 301 - 26" after several days on the 650b - I think I prefer the 650b! Have a nice New Years!

    Best regards - Kenny

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    214
    would love to try all the standards and then decide. but until then. good 'ol 26 incher it is...

    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperBike View Post
    Hi Sasha,

    You're welcome! Glad to hear that you got some info from Nathaniel. Yeah, he's a cool guy and good rider too! We try to stay on top of the forums since it's very important these days. Was out riding the wheels today on the 301 - 26" after several days on the 650b - I think I prefer the 650b! Have a nice New Years!

    Best regards - Kenny

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,122
    Come on syntace, offer up the rims! You'd probably sell 100 rims for every set of wheels that sell.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    214
    that's 'almost' obvious

    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Come on syntace, offer up the rims! You'd probably sell 100 rims for every set of wheels that sell.

  13. #13
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,935
    I'm in on rims only since Salsa stopped selling Gordos.
    I like turtles

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5

    Syntace W35 26" Ride Review

    Wider "is" Better... :-)


    I recently demo’d the Syntace W35 Wheelset and was really impressed with their performance, enough so that I bought a set and wanted to share my impressions.

    I'm 200lbs and ride aggressively. I put them on my 2013 Ibis Mojo HD running Specialized Grid casing tires.

    I had a chance to ride with Kenny Roberts the USA Syntace rep (good guy and great rider) on his local Oakland Hills trails which were really fun (I didn't know they had trails there either, I thought we'd be dodging bullets, and bunnyhopping pitbulls in the 'hood ;-). Immediately I noticed I didn't have any of the problems I previously had with the light tires on the narrower Stans rims, namely the tire buckling and flexing which would really mess up my take off's on jump faces and bunnyhops.

    The wheels felt solid and I was able to run lower pressures so they hooked up better in the corners, soaked up rocks, and jump landings felt much softer whereas before I felt like I was bottoming hard.

    Obviously the main difference of these wheels over any of the high end carbon or alloy hoops is the width of the rim itself. The much wider rim makes my 2.2 lightweight Specialized tires look and feel like downhill tires. It really broadens the tread footprint so they more closely resemble a 2.35-2.5 tire.

    This wider contact patch offers a noticeable increase in traction but doesn’t seem to make them feel slow when pedaling. If anything, my bike rolls/pedals faster and definitely carries more speed on the downhills. It could be a combination of the tire’s improved sidewall profile absorbing trail bumps more efficiently and the high quality Enduro bearings in the hubs, either way, they are Faaast!

    On my first ride on my own trails, I rode Corral Trail in Demo forest. There is one section on this trail in particular where there is a slight rise after a downhill section and I usually have to pedal about 10 pedal strokes to crest the hill. On these wheels, I found myself effortlessly cresting the same hill without any additional pedaling; the wheels just seemed to carry a ton of momentum.

    Cornering was improved due to having more tread on the ground but more impressive was how much better the tires absorbed bumps. It felt like the whole trail was covered in 3 inches of foam rubber. Small rocks and roots just disappeared. Larger rocks/roots were felt but were so muted they were not a problem. Without even meaning to, I blasted through one of the more technical rocky sections like it was paved. Very impressive!

    The more vertical sidewall profile the wider rim creates (vs bulging sidewalls with a narrow rim) gives the tire more support allowing lower pressures for more traction. The improved sidewall profile really made even my lightweight tires feel like they had downhill casings. I also appreciated the distinct lack of tire flex or buckling that I was experiencing with narrower rims and these lightweight tires.

    Since these wheels weigh less than my fairly lightweight Stans Flow wheels there is no weight penalty for the gains in control, impact absorption and traction you receive.

    Other than the pricetag, (which is still less than most carbon wheels) there is no downside to these wide wheels, only big gains in control. I can't wait to ride them again!!!

    WIDER IS BETTER... Pontiac Grand Prix - Wider is Better - Ice Boats (1999) - 0:30 (USA) - YouTube

    For more info checkout their website: Syntace or you can call Kenny Roberts, their local rep, he is very helpful.

    I'm glad I got a chance to ride these before I made the mistake of going carbon because I'm pretty sure I'd still have the same problems due to the lack of support the narrower rims and thinner sidewalls most of today's tires have. If you have any questions feel free to contact me though I'm not on this site much, unless it pings me on my email.

    You can email me on my yahoo address if you have any specific questions, I know I wanted to speak with someone before pulling the trigger, luckily I live close enough to the rep that I could go ride them first. My Yahoo is trav102@yahoo.com.

    Happy Trails!

    --Travis
    -Keep the Rubber Side Down... Unless you are doing a backflip!

    Travis Bertelsen

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    214
    hey Travis!
    although I really wanted this wheelset I went for the Stan's Flow EX/Hope/Sapim build as I got it for a third of the price of the W35.

    there is +200g on the Stan's compared, ok - but I ride a carbon bike and with that wheelset I'm around 12,5kg/27,6 lbs which is super light (with the air Lyrik on).

    would love to get W35 or I9's new Enduro offering as my next wheelset, but I can't really say anything against Stan's - contrary! they're 29,1 mm wide (26 mm inside if I'm not mistaken), so they're almost on par with those mentioned. really not that big of a difference. tubeless worked from the get go and there are no issues whatsoever.

    from what I read, some people use Flow Ex as DH rims, so I'm pretty sure these will last for my aggro AM / lite FR usage of Enduro bike for seasons.

    glad to see you enjoy your wheelset and would love to have one, for sure - I really believe the control is enhanced with the rims that wide, it's logical.

    ride on brother!

    edit
    as suggested in above posts - Syntace should really reconsider offering rims only.
    that would be a very good business move on their part.

  16. #16
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,238
    Great review, thanks for taking the time Trav102. These wheels looked so promising to me when they came out, they were a definite future purchase, but now with the release of Derby's 35mm wide carbon rims you can easily build a set up with some Hope hubs for the price of these wheels or less, think that that's what I'll be dreaming about for my future wheels. 29 x 35mm carbon fiber DERBY RIMS Grand Opening
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Great review, thanks for taking the time Trav102. These wheels looked so promising to me when they came out, they were a definite future purchase, but now with the release of Derby's 35mm wide carbon rims you can easily build a set up with some Hope hubs for the price of these wheels or less, think that that's what I'll be dreaming about for my future wheels. 29 x 35mm carbon fiber DERBY RIMS Grand Opening
    nice, but no 26 wheels. too bad.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,373
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Come on syntace, offer up the rims! You'd probably sell 100 rims for every set of wheels that sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I'm in on rims only since Salsa stopped selling Gordos.
    I realize it's a yr later but i just had an email exchange with Kenny AKA(juniperBike) regarding the availability of rims only as my interest and i received an instant reply with the following excerpt.

    "At this point we don’t really offer / sell the rims separately although we may start this Spring. They will not be available through dealers though – only consumer direct."

  19. #19
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,935
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    I realize it's a yr later but i just had an email exchange with Kenny AKA(juniperBike) regarding the availability of rims only as my interest and i received an instant reply with the following excerpt.

    "At this point we don’t really offer / sell the rims separately although we may start this Spring. They will not be available through dealers though – only consumer direct."
    Cool. I'm still in.
    I like turtles

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    214
    nice.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,373
    Kenny was willing to take my order for rims only but i'm not ready just yet however when the time comes me thinks i'll try the W40 with DW 2.75's spooned onto them. Could be a sweet combo.

  22. #22
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,238
    When/If you get a price on the rims, I'm sure there are loads who would be interested to find that out. Personally I was lusting after these, especially with that big warranty, but just got some WTB i25 ST rims to build onto my Nukeproof hubs for my rigid Monkey and am damned impressed by them, both width wise and stiffness. I know they're not going to be as light as these rims, but they surely aren't heavy by any means and at $50 a pop, much cheaper than all other tubeless ready rims. Also there's the Derby carbon 35mm rims going for about $300 a pop, so another light weight, stiff option. Personally I'm hoping WTB see the trend towards wider rims and release an i30 and maybe even i35

    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Kenny was willing to take my order for rims only but i'm not ready just yet however when the time comes me thinks i'll try the W40 with DW 2.75's spooned onto them. Could be a sweet combo.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    214
    besides Derby there is also Nox Composites. but as Derby they don't make 26 rims. what's with that?!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,373
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    When/If you get a price on the rims, I'm sure there are loads who would be interested to find that out. Personally I was lusting after these, especially with that big warranty.
    anyone interested please express it with Kenny via email and perhaps a grp buy may encourage them to act sooner rather than later. Oh and yes pricing was readily expressed.

  25. #25
    Off the back...
    Reputation: pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,822
    Quote Originally Posted by ashas View Post
    besides Derby there is also Nox Composites. but as Derby they don't make 26 rims. what's with that?!
    Light-Bicycle do a 33mm 26" rim for $170.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •