mtbr member

Switch from Conti race kings to Schwable rr?

Hey all!
    I've been getting into the mtbk relay racing scene for the past 2 years. I ride a Superfly 29er and have been using Conti Race Kings with the sidewall protection (tubeless). They are looking really worn and my rear tire is ready to give way.
    I'm looking for something that will grip better than the race kings while keeping a fast rolling profile for race day. A buddy suggested doing a Rocket Ron up front and a Racing Ralph in the back, both with the snakeskin protection.
    Suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I went to a Racing Ralph, Evo, TL, pacestar 2.1 on a 26er fs on the back and a 2.25 NoNi same in a trailstar up front and set about 5 personal records on time to climb rides last summer. Coming down - less fun. The RoRo up front would make it faster, I expect. I have gone to a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent front and back for more aggresive riding and put the Schwalbe combo on my wife's Yeti 575 instead of the X King Race Sport Contis she had and she saw an immediate speed increase.

Trail Prospector
    IME
    Rear: Conti's Race King is fast, but far from durable, and the Ra-Ra is even worse - instead try a Saguaro 2.2 or an Ikon.

Front: Ra-Ra 2.35 (or 2.4) is really fast & light with far better grip - the volume of a 2.25 is way smaller than the R-King 2.2
    (Ardent 2.4 is a great durable, grippy & fast tire, just much heavier.)
    Last edited by Flyin_W; 06-10-2013 at 07:26 PM.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Yeah, the Ardent 2.4 is 820 grams...and I used to be a weight weenie! I definitely climb slower, but I love the grip...maybe I should go Ikon on the back...?

mtbr member
    Hmmm, just seeing what happens in here. I have the RK on my mtn bike and the Ralphs on my cross bike. They're both the best tires I've ever used.

mtbr member
    Thanks so far for the suggestions. I should have mentioned that the terrain I ride on is super rocky with some sharp shale in there (Mid-Maryland). I need something durable (protection or snakeskin), but fast. To give you an idea, the stock Bontrager's my SF came with had 3 slashes in the sidewalls my first ride out. I went straight to RKs at the suggestion of a friend and haven't had a single issue, but they don't grip well and I just want to try something different.

Flyin_W, would you recommend the Ra-Ra 2.4 with snakeskin in front? And if you had to pick the Saguaro or the Ikon, which would it be given the terrain I ride?

Other suggestions?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just got the new tubeless ready ikon (3c, exo version) a month ago and its held up great to the rocky terrain here in texas. I highly recommend it for aggressive xc use.

Btw I had to buy it off the maxxis website cuz it wasn't available anywhere else (part #TB72390100)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I also run an xr4 up front and I think its the perfect combo

Trail Prospector

Re: Switch from Conti race kings to Schwable rr?

If the Shed / Gambrill is your playground them I'd go beefy not weight weenie. (H-A-B has never won a race.)
    Front: Ardent 2.4
    Rear: Gato 2.3
    This combo will do better when wet.
    Ra-Ra's no longer available in 2.4, and not in SS- had good luck as a front, but I'm not bashing on shale every ride.
    Best,

(by phone)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a Ron front, RaRa rear both 2.25 SS on my HT. Performance is great both speed and grip, but note the RaRa likes to be leaned a bit further before hooking up than the race king. Overall grip seems better than a race king, speed is similar, durability in terms of tread life might be a bit worse but I think the sidewalls on the snakeskin are a bit better than the race king I had. The rocket ron is the best front racy tire I have used, super fast and lots of grip for an XC tire, it also sealed super easily with basically no leakage. I have not ridden an Ikon but might try one as a rear in the future.