mtbr member

Sunringle MTX33 strength?

I recently got a Trek Fuel with some MTX33 rims on it. They seem to be fairly robust. I now have them on my Santa Cruz and I was messing around at a skate park today. I was hitting some stuff pretty hard, and cases an edge that bottomed the tire out and smacked the rim. No apparent damage to them.

It got me thinking, how striong are they? I'm 210 lbs and can huck it pretty good. Going to convert to 15mm front fork soon and considering swapping on hubs instead of buying a new wheelset. How do these compare to the new all mountain rims? Like Flows, Chargers, Eastons, etc?

Worth keeping, or should I get a new set? Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Stronger than all the others you listed

mtbr member
    Hmmm. Good to know. Maybe I should get some lighter hubs for them anyway, they seem to be heavy bastards. 07 Bontrager qr hubs on them.

mtbr member
    Those things are beasts. They're also heavy as hell, but thats why they're strong. Its kind of an oldschool style beef rim. At 650g you're not going to build up anything light with them!

mtbr member
    I build all my 26" single speed rim brake MTB wheel sets with Sun CR18's and DT 2.0 Champions. Never had a customer complaint. I have Sun rims on my road bike also. Lots of city potholes. Had to touch 'em up once in 3 seasons. I like Sun Hoops, good value, strong, although not the lightest.

mtbr member
    for the $ they are good wheels. I had mine laced to saint hubs f/r for DH duties.
    After 1 year of abuse the front wheel is still in great shape, the rear blew up from casing jumps, flat landings, square edge hits on rocks, et. rebuild: $45 new wheel, $5 new spokes (broke a couple) and booya! looking to get another year or more for $50