Thread: Sun UFO rims

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sun UFO rims

Are the Sun UFO rims any good? they seem to weigh as much as the 517 and cost pretty much the same. Say i have a good deal on the UFOs... take it or go with the non-deal 517? (717, from some reason are yet to get to Israel).
    Anyone has an experience with the UFOs?

Thanks.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

i have ufo rims...

(i'll just copy/paste from a post i already had written...

i chose the UFO rims because of price, weight and the all black look.
    they weigh about 405g each and i thought built up pretty easy to a real disc front hub and a hope xc rear hub. i laced 3x, 32h with dt supercomps. my wheels came out to 1750g for the pair...not to shabby for my first wheel build and with the heavy hubs i am using.

they have held up fine for the xc riding i have been using them for. i have them set up to xtr disc brakes and i weigh about 180. tire changes are extemely easy witht he Panaracer 2.1 fire pros i have been running. i ran a 2.24 on them once while the wheels were on my ss, didn't like it, and i knew i was askin' for a pinch flat.

the only con i could really think of is how narrow the rims are. i was thinking of installing some stan's strips on the ufo rims, but the regular xc rims trip is way to wide for them. no pinch flats yet though.

if it weren't for the price, i think i would have went with either the 317/717 or velocity synergys.

cheers and let me know if you've got any questions in particular with the ufo rims....cheers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by uribt
    Are the Sun UFO rims any good? they seem to weigh as much as the 517 and cost pretty much the same. Say i have a good deal on the UFOs... take it or go with the non-deal 517? (717, from some reason are yet to get to Israel).
    Anyone has an experience with the UFOs?

Thanks.

Boj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    (i'll just copy/paste from a post i already had written...

i chose the UFO rims because of price, weight and the all black look.
    they weigh about 405g each and i thought built up pretty easy to a real disc front hub and a hope xc rear hub. i laced 3x, 32h with dt supercomps. my wheels came out to 1750g for the pair...not to shabby for my first wheel build and with the heavy hubs i am using.

they have held up fine for the xc riding i have been using them for. i have them set up to xtr disc brakes and i weigh about 180. tire changes are extemely easy witht he Panaracer 2.1 fire pros i have been running. i ran a 2.24 on them once while the wheels were on my ss, didn't like it, and i knew i was askin' for a pinch flat.

the only con i could really think of is how narrow the rims are. i was thinking of installing some stan's strips on the ufo rims, but the regular xc rims trip is way to wide for them. no pinch flats yet though.

if it weren't for the price, i think i would have went with either the 317/717 or velocity synergys.

cheers and let me know if you've got any questions in particular with the ufo rims....cheers!!!
    Hey is it true that UFOs come out of true from out of the box?!? I'm contemplating some for my V wheelset. Thanks in advance.
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    they have held up fine for the xc riding i have been using them for
    Say i'm a pretty abusive XC rider, I weigh around 130 but i ride hard - would the UFO rims take it? If there's a doubt on that matter i'll take a stronger rim cause it is very important for me to do minimum truing. (V brakes, btw...)

Thanks again.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

quite possible...

my rear ufo is fine, the front is out of round, but i am using discs so it hasn't bothered me at all. since i built the front wheel first (and this is the first wheel i have ever built), it may be to my error, or the rim itself. if it was builder error, then i didn't do the same mistake on the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Boj
    Hey is it true that UFOs come out of true from out of the box?!? I'm contemplating some for my V wheelset. Thanks in advance.