mtbr member

Sun Ryno-lite rims- tire removal issues

So I just put together a new to me fully rigid instigator, got sun rhyno-lite rims with maxxis holy roller tires. I had read about the rims being difficult to put tires on but wasnt too bad putting them on. Then I decided to hit up some trails this weekend so I got a 2.4 inch tire to put on the front, tried to get the holy roller off and wtf, I try really freaking hard and cannot get the tire off so eventually I just give up and reinflate the holy roller, leaving it on till I can figure out how to get it off without destroying the tire. Any advice? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

Former Bike Wrench
    DH and FR tires on Rhyno-Lite rims can be a serious B!tch...as your finding out. Invest in some steel tire levers and use the thinnest rim tape (strapping tape works really well here) you can find.

mtbr member
    I have a 24" set and have never had a problem. But my 26" WTB Mutano Races are a B to get on and off. I need 3 tire levers and 3 hands to get them off.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    i use butter knifes to get my tires off

wwg
    No Class
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgto
    i use butter knifes to get my tires off

I did this to get Hookworms off a set of rhyno-lites. Serious b!tch is an understatement.
    Q: Who's faster than me?
    A: Just about everybody, including your oldest living relative.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    They're the only rims I ever had to use tire levers on. They suck balls. Why do you think they're generally sold for around 100.00 a pair? LOL

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbeck
    They're the only rims I ever had to use tire levers on. They suck balls. Why do you think they're generally sold for around 100.00 a pair? LOL
    the rims are cheap because the tooling has paid for itself more than a few times

mtbr member
    I like my rhyno lite. yeah there are nicer rims, but i can get a new RL for under 20 bucks usually so why buy anything else. I can usually get my tire off and back on in a couple minuites. You just have to learn how to make it work.