mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Sun Ringle Equalizer 21

Hi, any feedback and reviews for this rims im planning to get a pair, due to cost and weight (sub 400 gms to be exact 371 gms), welded...

hows durabilty and strenght of this rims.

or ill go with x717?

TIA

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i'm having a hard time looking for concrete review of this rim....i might not pursue with this project or gamble with it...

up...

Former Bike Wrench
    I built up an EQ27 and the new Inferno 27 and both are excellent rims that build up true and round with good equal spoke tension. IMO the 21 is too narrow for anything over a 2.1" tire but otherwise looks fine. At the same time, it's hard to beat the X717 for a lightweight XC rim.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks mtnbiker72 for the reply,

i use 2.1 tires, hmmmm it sounds x717 is better with few grams heavier...i heard/read good reviews SR EQ and inferno rims, but not much of the EQ21.

1 point for x717....thanks!

up

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    any comment gurus, sun ringle EQ21 - 36 holes, is it an old model or OEM production ( not on website).

thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    eq21 36 holes - OE production of Sunringle ( email from Sunringle tech support )..sigh

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi, i ordered a 28 holes EQ21L (for rim brake) and i will build it on a DT Hugi 240 front hub with sapim CX-ray spokes. I hope i get my front wheel under 600g.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    just build my EQ21/SLX/Wheelsmith wheelset...i think 36 holes will put strength on the wheels...have to test it on trails 3 days from now...update to come.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    just build my front wheel with 28 holes eq21. The rim is 399g. And the wheel is 629g.
    I was surprise when i weighed the old used rim, a DT swiss 4.1: 375g. I guess it's light because it's worn out.
    I'll try to get a 2.2 raceking supersonic mounted on it with "guetto" tubeless.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've been running the EQ21 in my stumpy for 2 years with Kenda Karma 26x1,95 without any problems in front and rear.

As I am with lower back pain, decided to use a Schwalbe Rocket Ron 26x2,4 (front and rear) to get soft riding, and it has been good. Reading in many threads, I am worried because the EQ21 is too narrow and RoRo is too large. Does anyone know if it is really a problem ?. Am I in risk ?.

mtbr member
    I ran a 2.1 nevegal on my eq23 and the handling was terrible (too wide tire for too narrow of a rim). I think going to an even larger tire on an even narrower rim would ride so poorly it wouldnt be tolerable. Safe, sure. If you dont mind the handling of them I suppose you're alright.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjabiker View Post
    I've been running the EQ21 in my stumpy for 2 years with Kenda Karma 26x1,95 without any problems in front and rear.

As I am with lower back pain, decided to use a Schwalbe Rocket Ron 26x2,4 (front and rear) to get soft riding, and it has been good. Reading in many threads, I am worried because the EQ21 is too narrow and RoRo is too large. Does anyone know if it is really a problem ?. Am I in risk ?.
    My experience with large casing tires on narrow rims is they "fold" when cornering which causes loss of control. This was a common experience when running Mavic 17mm internal width rims with >2.2" width tires and large volume because it made them taller and narrower.
    YMMV
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    One Pivot and Bike Whisperer, thanks for the repply and advise. Going back to Kenda 26x1.95 until I get a new wheelset .