mtbr member

Sun Ringle EQ21 Rim

I know some people have these built up, wondering about the durability versus a DT XR 4.2D or mavic XC 717
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

mtbr member
    I've got a set, and they don't show a single scratch yet... I guess I'll have to punish them more often, but the Netherlands aren't known for their mountains and rocky terrain, now are they?
    Its a light rim, but also has a tiny cross-section, so material-density isn't all that small. If laced properly, they should take quite a beating.

mtbr member
    I dont see how those can be used with a mountainbike tire... Their internal width is only 16MM!! Thats like road rim widths!

mtbr member
    Don't forget that the (very popular) Mavic XC717 has a internal width of 17mm and people ride them with 2.3" tires... so 16mm should do nicely up to 2.2" or so.
    The mavic Crossmax-SLR wheels are also 21mm outer width, with an innerwidth of 17mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one
    Don't forget that the (very popular) Mavic XC717 has a internal width of 17mm and people ride them with 2.3" tires... so 16mm should do nicely up to 2.2" or so.
    The mavic Crossmax-SLR wheels are also 21mm outer width, with an innerwidth of 17mm.
    I run EQ 21 with RK 2.2 without any problems

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeon View Post
    I run EQ 21 with RK 2.2 without any problems
    how long are you using those rims? im planning to built one...tia

Spanish rider
    I'm using a EQ27, which is wider and stronger and works fine. My only complaint is that mine came with the seam unproperly finished (the seam was sharp and lumpy at the bead seat).

I wouldn't use Mavic XC717, they tend to crack.
    A pessimist is an experienced optimist

mtbr member
    My eq23 has been fine for the couple years ive used it. Ive bashed it into plenty of rocks weighing between 190-220lb. The 21 should be comparable, just smaller.

.. its really narrow though. I use 2.1, or small 2.25's on mine, and thats pushing it. You can install big 2.3's on 717's, and people have, but its a floppy sloppy ride unless you like pressures sky high.

A velocity blunt is 410g and wide enough to fit reasonable tires.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hi!

I have a terrible problem. I got two secondhand wheels built with Sun Eq 21. I just found installing tires on these rims almost impossible. I tried Hutchinson Toro 2.1 and Continental Speedking 2.1 with no success. Although I managed to install my old Michelin Country Mud on the front wheel. In the shops assistants are sceptic they don't allow me to try their tires on my rim to see if they fit and people told me, it 's normal to require huge efforts installing a tire. But it s far more than that they imagine.. They don't understand the seriousness of the problem.Steel levers don't help. They harm the rim. This god damn rim sucks. Serial problems i guess.. Eq 23 for example is said to be more easy to handle. I ask someone from Sun Ringle, hoped he will probably offer me some suitable tire with ''bigger'' bead. . But instead of that, he gave me some not so effective tips like soaping, heating the tire etc.. Id like to ask anybody experienced with Eq 21 to offer me some tire which relatively easy to install.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yup, its harder to install a tire but i manage using a plastic tire lever, using folding tires, crosmark.....EQ21 OEM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pokz View Post
    how long are you using those rims? im planning to built one...tia
    2-nd year. Now with X-King 2.4 at front.