mtbr member

Sun Ringle Charger Pro 29er - Having a hard time fitting tires. Give me some insight

I have a set of Sun Ringle Charger Pro 29ers. Fitting tires to the rims makes me

So far I've warped 2 Specialized tires and damaged the stock rim strip trying to get them stretched onto the rim. I also tried a Nevegal and gave up. I'm not using anything but tire levers and elbow grease to mount these tires and it's been a nightmare.

Right now my front tire is warped from my roommate and I muscling it onto the rim last night. It wobbles so damn much the bike is barely rideable. Iíd like to replace it with something that will be easier to mount. Iíve never tried any other brands other than the Kenda and a couple Specialized tires. What tires do you have mounted on your Charger Pros and how easy/difficult were they to mount?

Note: Iím not an idiot, and know how to mount tires. These rims have just always given me difficulties that Iíve never experienced in the past with other rims.

mtbr member
    Your note makes me reply with some trepidation.

I own a set of 29" Charger Pro wheels as well as a set of Stan's No-tubes Flow 29" on another bike. They both have the same BST and are both made by SUN Ringlť. The Chargers I've had for a few months and the Flows for about three years. I use Specialized Control tires almost exclusively, except for some Schwalbe Nobby Nics. I mostly get these tires onto the rims by hand. Occasionally I'll have to use a plastic tire lever to get the last few inches onto the rim. I'm aware that tire levers can damage the yellow tape so I hook the lever on the edge of the rim and lift on the last bit of tire bead.

I'll say this because you may perhaps not be aware of the best technique for mounting on tubeless rims. You need to start (on both sides) opposite the valve and make sure the bead is inside the center channel all the way around, which allows maximum play at the end. The only place both beads should be outside the channel is at the valve. In this configuration the bead slides uniformly out of the channel into the hook as easily as pumping up a tubed tire.

I'm not sure what you mean by "warped" tires. Are they perhaps just not properly seated. A little soapy water(dish soap) sponged around the beads can help them seat properly.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

It ain't easy being Green
    You're not alone! Check out this thread.

FWIW I was able to mount Slant 6 on the Charger rims without any problems; I used the "SCT" version rather than UST.

mtbr member
    You need to start (on both sides) opposite the valve and make sure the bead is inside the center channel all the way around, which allows maximum play at the end. The only place both beads should be outside the channel is at the valve. In this configuration the bead slides uniformly out of the channel into the hook as easily as pumping up a tubed tire.

Def use the techniuqe Ronnie is describing. If you don't do that you will mostly likely fail and get frustrated. Also you can try soaking them in hot water for about 5 minutes before you put them on. It helps a little bit.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I mostly get these tires onto the rims by hand.
    100% physically impossible with my wheelset.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "warped" tires. Are they perhaps just not properly seated.
    I've ruined 2 Specialized Captains. Hard to explain but when the tire is beaded with air, it leans to one side in one certain spot, like the sidewall itself stretched out. The first time I noticed it, I knew for sure the wheel was out of true...took it to the LBS and it was perfectly true, they showed me the tire "warp". I went home and re-mounted the tire just to check if it was poorly mounted and the wobble and "lean" was still there. Even tried the tire on a different rim with a tube and it still had the warp.

Thanks for all the input guys. I managed to get a Nevegal mounted correctly using some soapy water without issue tonight. We'll see if it holds up.

mtbr member
    100% physically impossible with my wheelset.
    Sorry but I have to disagree. My bike mechanic can do it. He put on a Geax AKA TNT (prob one of hardest, if not the hardest combo) on a flow for me with his hands in about 50 seconds. Specialized are cake compared to Geax TNT.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    Sorry but I have to disagree. My bike mechanic can do it. He put on a Geax AKA TNT (prob one of hardest, if not the hardest combo) on a flow for me with his hands in about 50 seconds. Specialized are cake compared to Geax TNT.
    I guess I need a mechanic to install tires for me I stick to what I said.

mtbr member
    I had Charger Experts and also currently have Flows (both 29er) and can get my Specialized 2Bliss tires on by hand. They're tight but not impossible. The Pro uses the exact same rim as the Expert so it's hard to say why your having such a hard time, simply hasn't been the case for me.