usually cranky

sun ringle charger pro 20mm issue

hey, i just picked up a set of charger pro's, 20mm front. i tried putting them on my bike but the end caps are about 5mm too long (i measured my fork to be sure, 110mm on the dot). i popped out the end caps and repressed them and still no dice. the bearings look to be all the way pressed in. the rear with a 135 qr fits fine. these are oem wheels btw. am i overlooking something or are the hubs or end caps out of spec?

usually cranky
    so i think i just solved my problem. two interseting things. 1. a formula 20mm hub works very similarly to sun hubs, just pop the end caps out. i *suspect* using the sun ringle end caps they can be converted to 9mm qr and 15mm. 2. the cap on my brake side was way long, like 5mm. im thinking i can use the formula cap with a pvc shim.

usually cranky
    welp that didn't work. it appears that the cap on the drive side is a bit too long.

usually cranky
    fixed it. for anyone else that has the same issue, i ended up filing down the caps. just took the anodizing off on the brake side and went down maybe 1.5-2mm on the other side. my guess is that the caps were the tiniest bit out of spec and the ano was applied a little too liberally. they were the red ones icyw.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey b-Kul, thanks for the tip! I just got a used charger pro wheel set with a 20mm front hub adapter. I'm running a QR15 fork and was trying to get pop the 20mm end caps out but am having trouble. Any tips on how to remove these so I can put in the QR15 conversion end caps?

Thanks!

usually cranky
    if you have a 20mm axle just use that to put sume leverage on them and they will pop right out. if not most anything will work, hell, you could probably even use a branch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks a lot! I do have a 20mm axle and it worked like a charm. I searched far and wide for an online manual or something, but couldn't come to an answer.

Again, I really appreciate the help. Now I can finally use the wheels!

usually cranky
    yeah man, these hubs are super simple to work on, if in doubt just try the most obvious thing and that is probably the correct way.