mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Sun Ringle Black Flag Expert 29er Wheelset Review....

CORRECTION: I put the rear wheel on the truing stand, and it was alright. Seems like the tire settled on the rim askew and gave the illusion of being out of true. Havent worked on the front as I havent gotten my new thru axle adapter for the stand.

2 rides, front and back are now out of true. The back, only slightly. The front has a good side to side wobble.

It wouldnt be a big deal, but this is my first tubeless wheels, and now I think I have to throw and wash out the sealant to put the wheels on the truing stand Had to buy a thru axle adapter for the stand too.

Bummer.

I have a new set of Charger Experts too. Those have fared better despite being ridden a bit more aggressively. The Black Flags U have must be lemons
    Last edited by bing!; 02-11-2012 at 10:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a few fairly long rides on mine with no issues at all. Must have been a lemon!
    2014 Jamis Dakar XCT 650b Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    CORRECTION: I put the rear wheel on the truing stand, and it was alright. Seems like the tire settled on the rim askew and gave the illusion of being out of true. Havent worked on the front as I havent gotten my new thru axle adapter for the stand.

thisportistoodamnexpensiv
    Sounds like your bead isn't seated. Air your tires up until you here two distinct pops.
    REAL MEN LOVE JESUS!!! (...but only when the wife's out of town)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRosie View Post
    Sounds like your bead isn't seated. Air your tires up until you here two distinct pops.
    They were properly seated. Tubeless. I checked them after installation and they didnt have a wobble. After a few trail rides though, they settled askew. Will be reseating them after getting trued and tensioned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

BLACK FLAG PRO SLs ARE WEAK!!!!!!!

My brand new $850 Black Flag Pro SL 29 wheel set is a big disappointment. By the second ride on flowing XC single track both wheel had dents, twisted spokes and were out of true.

I was running them tubeless with 28 PSI in both. I am 183lbs and am an experienced rider -- no hucking or ridiculous air just normal XC riding.

Given all of this I would expect more from Sun Ringle.

Sun Ringle Black Flag Expert 29er Wheelset Review....-photo-copy.jpgSun Ringle Black Flag Expert 29er Wheelset Review....-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It looks awful as if you had bumped into a rock or sth. Any response to that from the retailer?