mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Sun Inferno 27 or weinmann u28?? 27.5 wheel

Hey everyone, im looking at getting a new wheelset and have two choices in mind with my budget. Just would like to know which is the better deal, 27.5 Sun Inferno-27 ($171.32) or 27.5 Weinmann U28 with WTB Trail Boss 2.4 tires and tubes ($194.95). Both come with shimano M475 hubs. The U28 with tires seems to be the better deal but are the inferno-27 better rims? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I had the inferno's they're heavy AF.

Land of the 230+
    Is this for upgrade purposes or a necessary replacement due to crash ore breakage? If youre looking for performance, shimano m4xx hubs are meh at best. Granted it will be tough to find anything better in that price range. But once you get closer to 300 or more, your options open up. If you dont need the wheels immediately, and can wait till a good deal comes around, Id just keep saving your money and wait for something better.

That said, I am riding weinmann U50 rims on two different bikes. I bought the rims for $20 each, for a plus sized singlespeed and a parts box build. I'm actually pretty happy with the rims, those theyre not light by any stretch of the imagination. I assume the U28s should be similar quality.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Is this for upgrade purposes or a necessary replacement due to crash ore breakage? If youre looking for performance, shimano m4xx hubs are meh at best. Granted it will be tough to find anything better in that price range. But once you get closer to 300 or more, your options open up. If you dont need the wheels immediately, and can wait till a good deal comes around, Id just keep saving your money and wait for something better.

That said, I am riding weinmann U50 rims on two different bikes. I bought the rims for $20 each, for a plus sized singlespeed and a parts box build. I'm actually pretty happy with the rims, those theyre not light by any stretch of the imagination. I assume the U28s should be similar quality.
    my rear wheel is in need of replacing and dont want to spend too much. I like the fact that the U28's come with 2.4 tires as the tires alone would be a upgrade from the stock tires that came on my Diamondback Atroz. I just cant find too much info on the U28 except that they typically come on Raleigh and Haro bikes and some have set up tubeless. I also looked at Mavic crossride wheels but would have to buy the $25 QR adapter per wheel. Main goal is just getting back onto the trail ASAP with reliable wheels.

damned rocks...
    They have a website:
    http://www.weinmanntek.com/product/2/5/46

I had the Inferno, and as mentioned, they are heavy, the U28 seems to be even heavier, but not by much, doubt you could notice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Yea the weight difference isnt a big deal, main question is the inferno 27 a better/stronger rim than the u28?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Also looking at the RaceFace Aeffect 27.5in Wheel set for $210. I've read some poor reviews though. Anyone have input on these?

Land of the 230+
    RaceFace affect would be a no-brainer for me. Cartridge bearings with removable replaceable freehub, XD driver option, swappable endcaps, not to mention a very light weight. I've always had good luck with easton and raceface rims and wheelsets.

IMO, Anyone who poorly reviewed the raceface wheelset would never even think about subjecting the other two wheelsets to the same abuse.

damned rocks...
    I did some pinch flats with the Inferno, the rim came unscathed everytime, I weight 75~80Kg depending on the weak, I ride moderately aggressive, and when plowing thru rocks gardens I usually chose straight lines.
    That being said, I saw some people complaining about the Inferno being a soft rim.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Yea as long as the raceface fits my QR frame with the end caps then i may go with those but then will have to buy tires on top of that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Seems like i might go with the race face aeffect and either get the maxxis minion DHF and DHR or Maxxis Ardent for both wheels.