mtbr member

Sun Inferno 25/How to have an amazing rear wheel for 100 bucks.

Needed a new rear wheel, so I went ahead and picked up a sun inferno 25.

Im impressed! It looks very well made, the seam looks good and everything is consistent and appears well made.

Weighed in at 471g... which I think is a very good weight for a rim this size. Listed at 448g, so its over whats advertised. Im good with a 470g rim, I wanted something durable.

Its stiff! Its stiffer as just a hoop than my EQ23 is as a built up wheel. At 38 bucks, its also dirt cheap. Its not tubeless or tubeless ready, but ill be running it with tubes... another advantage of still running tubes is all the really great rims out there, for cheap.

Getting laced up to a shimano SLX hub. Nothing rolls like a properly greased and adjusted shimano hub. At a boaty 380g its not going to be light, but they just roll so, so smooth I think that makes a bigger difference than 100g from something lighter.

Spokes are going to be sapim double butted, from danscomp. 16 bucks for a complete set of DB spokes. Cant beat that. DT alloy nipples, just because I have a ton of them.

All in all, this wheel will be hard to beat out on the trail. Its not going to win any scale wars, or latest and greatest spec wars, but it should be a very solid, very durable, great riding wheel... for 100 bucks!

Maybe not the most exciting post since its kinda cheap/non tubeless, but people are always looking for new wheels on a budget... stuff like this is extremely competitive with even more expensive stuff.

mtbr member
    The Inferno rims were designed like their wheelsets, just without the BST bead. Since their wheels are plenty stiff with 24 or 28 spokes (26/29") a wheel built with 32 spokes on the Inferno rims will be quite stiff. I built up a Inferno 27 front with a 20mm axle and it was very stiff!

mtbr member
    aaaand, ERD measuring time! Rim lists 539mm. I measured 534.22mm. Thats INSANELY off. building with their listed ERD would give spokes way, way too long.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just built a wheel just going off Sun's listed measurements on their site. It came out perfect. So perfect. I had great luck with their printed statistics, but this was for the MTX (original) listed with an ERD of 532. Just thought I'd share my experience, good luck with your build.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am running my Sun Inferno 25's tubeliss (Ghetto split tubes). They have been very reliable for me with this set up( 550+ miles). Tires do fit very loosely on these rims and I have read where others have had issues running tubeliss on the Inferno 25's.So far so good .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    aaaand, ERD measuring time! Rim lists 539mm. I measured 534.22mm. Thats INSANELY off. building with their listed ERD would give spokes way, way too long.
    I've used Sun's listed ERD on several builds and every time the spoke length has been perfect. Can't say the same for Stans or Mavic rims.

mtbr member
    I rechecked because it was so off... still getting 534. Its not even close to listed erd. Ive had the same problem with stans. Mavic doesnt even know what ERD is

Takes 5 minutes to measure a rim, I do it for everything now. Its nice when the ERD matches the listed erd, but its a real pain in the ass when it doesnt and you've already ordered spokes!

mtbr member
    Finished the wheel. Its STIFF. Much stiffer than the arch EX I built up last. Its maybe stiffer than the 719 I built a while ago... but it has been a while. Its stiff to the point where it was quite difficult to stress relieve using any grab-the-rim-and-push methods. Ended up having to destress it by bending spokes with a screwdriver handle.

Regarding the build, it built up excellently. No real hops and runout was minor even with some spoke tension variation. Trued up incredibly easy and fast. Ive built a ton a wheels and Id rank these towards the top in terms of quality/roundness/ease of build. They're just plain "good", not good for the price or anything. Im impressed!