mtbr member

Sun DS1-XC XT Disc or WTB LaserDisc XC Wheelset at BWW -- Worth it?

I'm looking for a cheap disc wheelset (upgrading from V to disc). BWW has a Sun DS1-XC XT Disc wheelset for $135. They aren't the lightest wheels (2035g for the pair), but for Sun rims, XT 6-bolt hubs, and DT Swiss Champion spokes this is a pretty tough deal to beat. Does anyone have any experience with these rims? Any better suggestions for a cheap wheelset?

They also have a WTB LaserDisc XC wheelset with XT hubs for $170 ($185 with the options I want). Are these a better option?

BTW: I checked the reviews and couldn't find much relevant info on either of these wheelsets.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you can bump up a little more to get the Mavic 717 it might be a better option.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by mfh126
    Any better suggestions for a cheap wheelset?
    They also have a WTB LaserDisc XC wheelset with XT hubs for $170 ($185 with the options I want). Are these a better option?
    You might find a cheaper wheelset but it's a good bet that it will be machine made in China using non name-brand parts and not hand assembled in CA with the builder on the other end of the phone.

On the rims - give 'em a call and they'll ask you questions and advise you on the best rim/wheelset for your intended use. They won't oversell you.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm looking for a cheap disc wheelset (upgrading from V to disc). BWW has a Sun DS1-XC XT Disc wheelset for $135. They aren't the lightest wheels (2035g for the pair), but for Sun rims, XT 6-bolt hubs, and DT Swiss Champion spokes this is a pretty tough deal to beat. Does anyone have any experience with these rims? Any better suggestions for a cheap wheelset?

BTW: I checked the reviews and couldn't find much relevant info on either of these wheelsets.

Thanks.
    I have ran Sun DS2-XC rims (same extrusion, but pinned instead of welded so actually a hair weaker) and they were very durable using them as Trail (Xc with a few rough fast descents and up to 2 foot drops). They were a PITA to mount most tires as the rim cavity is very shallow but otherwise good. If you have any aspirations of running tubeless, then LaserDisc XC rims would be a good choice as the bead seat in them works really well for both Ghetto and Gorilla Tape tubeless setups.

sru
    mtbr member
    I use the DS2-XC rims also. For the price they can't be beat. Have stayed true and strong with my 200lb "bull in a china shop" riding style. I tend to ride rocky and rooty trails.

My Hutchinson tires are a b%tch to mount, but I don't change tires often anyway.

mtbr member
    Thank you all for the feedback. The Mavic 717s are about $100 more. I'm trying to be as frugal as possible with the disc conversion, so I'd like to stick to the WTB's or the Sun's. Sounds like the Sun wheelset will work for me -- I'll be sticking to XC riding, and with that price it's hard to pass them up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Sun DS1-XC deal at BWW

I bought this Sun DS1-XC set from BWW, and I'm impressed. They look great and well-made. I've only ridden on them once on a very challenging dry hardpack trail, but coming off of my OEM Sun Black Eye wheelset the DS1-XC felt nimbler. The weight savings was about 205g for the rear (Shimano 475 hub + plastic spoke guard on Black Eye, XT hub on DS1, no spoke guard) and 165g Front (KK hub on Black Eye, XT hub on DS1).

So total weight savings was about 370 grams. I also changed my Deore Cassette for an XT for a further 100g savings, so I've dropped over a pound from my bike.

mtbr member

Good job! Change of plans

Well, I decided to go with the Mavic 717 V-Brake rims with XT 6-bolt hubs from BWW. I'm upgrading my '99 Trek 8000SL to disc brakes, but unfortunately the rear mounts are the old 22mm style and it'll be too expensive to try and retrofit for IS-mount rear discs so I'll be running mullet style for now (disc front, V rear). I'm going with the 6-bolt hub in the rear so that I can use these wheels on a new frame (if I ever decide to upgrade). The 717s seem like a solid choice based on reviews and mnigro's suggestion, and they're pretty lightweight. Thanks to all for your feedback!

Uncle

Recommendo

Well, I decided to go with the Mavic 717 V-Brake rims with XT 6-bolt hubs from BWW. I'm upgrading my '99 Trek 8000SL to disc brakes, but unfortunately the rear mounts are the old 22mm style and it'll be too expensive to try and retrofit for IS-mount rear discs so I'll be running mullet style for now (disc front, V rear). I'm going with the 6-bolt hub in the rear so that I can use these wheels on a new frame (if I ever decide to upgrade). The 717s seem like a solid choice based on reviews and mnigro's suggestion, and they're pretty lightweight. Thanks to all for your feedback!
    Hey, just seeing your post for the first time. I ran the mullet brake system and have a suggestions: Avid speed dial levers (#5, #7, Ultimates, Ti, whatever) + an Avid BB7 front brake. The speed dial feature (+ lever reach adjustment) lets you adjust the feel of the lever, to get both brakes to react similarly, as if the front and rear brakes were a matched set. SD levers are pretty cheaply had online -- $25 perhaps?

Good luck.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    Hey, just seeing your post for the first time. I ran the mullet brake system and have a suggestions: Avid speed dial levers (#5, #7, Ultimates, Ti, whatever) + an Avid BB7 front brake. The speed dial feature (+ lever reach adjustment) lets you adjust the feel of the lever, to get both brakes to react similarly, as if the front and rear brakes were a matched set. SD levers are pretty cheaply had online -- $25 perhaps?

Good luck.
    Thanks. My bike came stock with Avid Speed Dial 1.9Ls. I'm not sure how they compare to the 5, 7, Ultimates, etc., but I think they'll do the trick. I already bought the BB7 front brake, so it sounds like I'm on the right track!

Uncle

Speed dial is the key

Thanks. My bike came stock with Avid Speed Dial 1.9Ls. I'm not sure how they compare to the 5, 7, Ultimates, etc., but I think they'll do the trick. I already bought the BB7 front brake, so it sounds like I'm on the right track!
    As long as it has the little adjustment know, it'll even out the feel just right. Play with it just a bit and you'll have one sweet set up -- and, no rear rotor drag to deal with down the road!
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.