w00tmaster

suggestions for new tire(s) for Trek 3900

Hey all. I'm saving up to drop anywhere from $700-1400 for a new HT MTB, but that's not what this thread is about. I just asking what people suggest I buy for a tire that I can use for the next say 2-3 months before I buy the new HT(and have this trek as a backup bike). Also the HT that I'm probably going to get, is going to be a 29er, so obviously the tires won't be interchangeable.

They type of riding I do now, is about 40% road, 60% singletrack, intermediate skill IMO. No real big drops, maybe a foot or two at the MOST, once a ride. I do a lot of exploring in areas that shouldn't be explored such as around reservoirs and steep steep high power lines roads. The tires that are on there (2nd pair, the stock tires, I forget what they are at this point and am Too lazy to go check) IMO were not 'grippy' enough even with lower/higher tire pressure for off roading, but were fine/great on the road. I'm more concerned with off road performance, i don't care what the on road performance is like at this point. I'll deal with rough/hard road riding.

Also, what is the maximum tire size I could put on that (like 26 x 2.5)?

I read some good reviews about
    http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/D...:referralID=NA
    But I wanted to check with you all to see what suggestions you could throw at my face

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    "Also, what is the maximum tire size I could put on that (like 26 x 2.5)?"

No, the biggest tire your going to be able to stuff between the stays in the rear is a 2.1 or 2.2" tire and still have clearance. The largest tire recommended for the fork is a 2.3". Anything larger in the front will jam against the fork crown should you compress the fork completely. Not a good thing! Most entry level XC hardtails will not accept that large of a tire.

The Continental MK tires are pretty good. They roll reasonably well and have good grip, and corner well as long as you don't get too aggressive. The MK 2.2" would be the way to go for your 3900.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"