Oh, So Interesting!

Stubborn Tire/Rim Issue

After struggling to mount a Maxxis Aggressor 29x2.3 DD on my Bontrager Line XXX rear wheel, the tire has a noticeable hop in it, I'm guessing the tire got damaged when it was mounted.

Here's the story:

The shop that sold me the wheel got it warrantied a few months after I bought it, I ordered a new tire from them as well. When the new wheel and tire came in the shop told me they couldn't mount the tire without doing some superficial damage to the rim with their tire levers, so I told them to stop and I'd come by. Of course, they had already damaged the decals so it seems they called to ask permission for something they already did.

The issue is the rim strip... this is required for Bonty rims to run tubeless and the inside of the carbon rim is not finished so tape won't stick to it... Anyways, the rim strip's center channel is not wide or deep enough to make mounting the tire without a lot of force possible, and it seems extremely likely this is what caused the hop, the bead stretched out during mounting. I did manage to get the tire on with plastic tire levers, but I broke two of them.

I don't know what to do! Having a wheel that's impossible to mount some tires on seems ridiculous, especially one that is over $1k. I have a backup Stans Flow Mk3 rear wheel and I can get the exact same tire on that rim without using tire levers. However, it seems the shop got the first tire, an EXO casing, on ok and now it's 4 months past the date I bought the wheel and it seems I have a very expensive wheel I can't mount my tire of choice on. Maybe just sell the wheel? Is the shop responsible? This is ridiculous...

mtbpete
    If you have a hop on the tire it may not be fully seated. Check the sidewall of the tire all around on both sides to see of the line on the side of the tire is evenly above the sidewall of the rim all the way around. If this is the case you need to inflate more until the rim pops into place and/or add some soap to the bead.

Some tires are tighter than others. Typically Maxxis tubeless ready tires are loser than others such as Schwalbes so that is concerning that you're having such a touch time mounting these. Specialized 2bliss tires are much loser than many other tubeless ready tires as well.

Even of the carbon rim isn't finished you should be able to get some tape to stay on, but it may not have a good enough bead seat to keep a tire locked in the bead when inflated. IF it does have a bead seat I would put some wide gorilla tape on the bare rim.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    If you have a hop on the tire it may not be fully seated. Check the sidewall of the tire all around on both sides to see of the line on the side of the tire is evenly above the sidewall of the rim all the way around. If this is the case you need to inflate more until the rim pops into place and/or add some soap to the bead.

Some tires are tighter than others. Typically Maxxis tubeless ready tires are loser than others such as Schwalbes so that is concerning that you're having such a touch time mounting these. Specialized 2bliss tires are much loser than many other tubeless ready tires as well.

Even of the carbon rim isn't finished you should be able to get some tape to stay on, but it may not have a good enough bead seat to keep a tire locked in the bead when inflated. IF it does have a bead seat I would put some wide gorilla tape on the bare rim.
    Thanks!

It is fully seated.

I did briefly try Stan's tape at the recommendation of the shop, it wouldn't hold air for long (w/o sealant) and I was worried about the possible incompatibility of the tape, raw carbon and sealant so I called Bonty tech and they told me the rim strip needs to be used.

However, the profile of the inside of the rim seems ok and the tire mounted up fine without the strip, it's still pretty tight to get on but far better vs w/ the strip.

I do think Gorilla tape is likely to actually stick to the raw carbon and this might be a solution. Maybe not perfect but I don't think I could end up keeping the wheel as it is now...

I am going to take it back to the shop though, that brand new tire is trashed and they need to take some responsibility imo.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I did take the wheel back and asked them to provide a solution. Not being able to mount certain tires is unacceptable to me, especially Maxxis DD tires which are my preference.

I know things are changing quick in the wheel/tire end of things. Standards and tolerances seem like they are all over the place right now.

It seems like the bike industry lives for creating new standards and now they leave us with this? The whole wheel/tire issue is BEGGING for standards right now!