Strong, light spokes?

The current wheels:

rims: LightBicycle Nancy wide 29er carbon
    rear hub: DT Swiss 240 with 36t upgrade setup 135x10 thru axle for now
    front hub: American Classic 15mm thru axle
    spokes: Sapim CX Ray
    weight: 1420gr total for the set

The Concern:

I'm going to be receiving my Banshee Prime frame in a few weeks and am going to start riding lines and jumping things that I'm worried might beyond what these wheels are capable of. If the carbon rims and spokes last thru my upcoming shenanigans I will be quite impressed The hubs I think are fine. The rear hub is going to get the 142x12 thru axle treatment when the frame shows up. I don't see having issues with it.

The Question:

If I blow up my carbon rim(s) and rebuild with Flow EXs, would CX Rays be a solid spoke for the rebuild(new ones of course) or should I be looking at something else? Someone pointed out that Sapim Lasers are nearly the same weight but MUCH cheaper so I would consider them assuming they're just as strong.

The Criteria:

I weigh 170lbs loaded up and ready to ride and I'm a finesse rider. I don't normally put large loads on my bike by crashing or casing jumps. I'm not a certifiable weight weenie but I'm weight conscious and budget is not a concern. If Spoke A is just as strong as Spoke B but quite a bit lighter while also being twice as much money, I'm going Spoke A Lower rotating mass makes a huge difference to me and I want to keep it as low as possible without being subconsciously worried I'm going to blow something up.

Also, please don't throw out spoke models just because you have them. I want some real world weights and scientific explanations, not "I'm fat and my spokes haven't broken so you should get them." Are there any spoke tests or comparisons out there that Google is hiding from me? I love to geek out on charts and graphs MeltingFeather, you out there???

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Since budget isn't a concern at your weight Dt aerolite bladed spokes and Pillar internal nipples are recommended with Enve AM carbon rims. 440g here-
    http://www.enve.com/wheels/mtb/twenty9AM.aspx

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    The current wheels:

rims: LightBicycle Nancy wide 29er carbon
    rear hub: DT Swiss 240 with 36t upgrade setup 135x10 thru axle for now
    front hub: American Classic 15mm thru axle
    spokes: Sapim CX Ray
    weight: 1420gr total for the set

The Concern:

I'm going to be receiving my Banshee Prime frame in a few weeks and am going to start riding lines and jumping things that I'm worried might beyond what these wheels are capable of. If the carbon rims and spokes last thru my upcoming shenanigans I will be quite impressed The hubs I think are fine. The rear hub is going to get the 142x12 thru axle treatment when the frame shows up. I don't see having issues with it.

The Question:

If I blow up my carbon rim(s) and rebuild with Flow EXs, would CX Rays be a solid spoke for the rebuild(new ones of course) or should I be looking at something else? Someone pointed out that Sapim Lasers are nearly the same weight but MUCH cheaper so I would consider them assuming they're just as strong.

The Criteria:

I weigh 170lbs loaded up and ready to ride and I'm a finesse rider. I don't normally put large loads on my bike by crashing or casing jumps. I'm not a certifiable weight weenie but I'm weight conscious and budget is not a concern. If Spoke A is just as strong as Spoke B but quite a bit lighter while also being twice as much money, I'm going Spoke A Lower rotating mass makes a huge difference to me and I want to keep it as low as possible without being subconsciously worried I'm going to blow something up.

Also, please don't throw out spoke models just because you have them. I want some real world weights and scientific explanations, not "I'm fat and my spokes haven't broken so you should get them." Are there any spoke tests or comparisons out there that Google is hiding from me? I love to geek out on charts and graphs MeltingFeather, you out there???
    Forget about new wheels until, and if, you trash the current ones. May be a nonissue.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    May be a nonissue.
    Hopefully

Save Jesus
    Any steel spoke that you can think of is strong enough. The lightest ones make the wheel more flexy and are more prone to spoke windup during building.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    The Cxray would be a good option for the rebuild. I am running some on my Tallboy with no issues at all. Do you know what lacing pattern you will be doing?
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    The Cxray would be a good option for the rebuild. I am running some on my Tallboy with no issues at all. Do you know what lacing pattern you will be doing?
    That's what I'm thinking the more I research. Will most likely be 3X again.