On MTBR hiatus :(

Strapping Tape disappearing; other rim tape options?

Strapping tape is a dying breed. Somebody tell me I'm wrong.

I needed some 1/2" tape for a couple of wheels, and it ain't to be found.

Office Max doesn't have it. Office Depot doesn't have it. Rite Aid doesn't have it. WalMart doesn't have it.

Some had some 1.5" wide stuff, but that ain't gonna cut it. Some had none.

I can still find strapping tape online, in a varitey of sizes, but I don't feel much like ordering a dozen rolls.

You guys who use it for your wheels seeing the same thing? What's another good alternative to overpriced Velox?

I ended up hanging a 7' strip of the 3/4" wide stuff I have from the ceiling, and slicing a quarter-inch off with a razor blade. What a nuisance!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    1/2" has never really been easy to find. I get mine at the local (but huge) home/building supply. I have not seen 1/2" in mass market stores for years, if ever.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

\|/ What 60 looks like
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    1/2" has never really been easy to find. I get mine at the local (but huge) home/building supply. I have not seen 1/2" in mass market stores for years, if ever.
    Yep, I got mine at my friendly ACE Hardware store. One roll ought to last me for the rest of my life.
    [size=5]-GaryS-[/size]

Do It Yourself
    3/4" is much more available and I've never had a problem using it even on narrow rims like the DT 4.1d and the old Mavic 317. You can get the 1/2" from Stan but that's probably not really cost effective.
    Long Live Long Rides

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    3/4" is much more available and I've never had a problem using it even on narrow rims like the DT 4.1d.
    It's perfect for mine!
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Map Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy

So shiggy do use strapping tape on your rims for rim strips?

I had used some strapping tape (3/4") last year to save bit of weight but the tape kind of fell apart after six months or so. and it was a real mess to take off - super sticky mess that took at least an hour to get off using a scraper and some thinner.

Hey by the way - I sent you a Self address stamped envelop about a month ago for some stickers - as per your web site, and haven't gotten anything back yet. No big deal , are you not sending out stickers anymore?
    Chris
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Sofa King We Todd Did
    So, you're using strapping tape in place of rim tape? What's strapping tape do that rim tape doesn't?

Not sure if this helps, but I googled 'strapping tape' and found this:
    http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.a...-5734&ref=3111

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    So, you're using strapping tape in place of rim tape? What's strapping tape do that rim tape doesn't?

Not sure if this helps, but I googled 'strapping tape' and found this:
    http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.a...-5734&ref=3111
    Strapping tape is what nothing else is in the bike bizz - light, strong AND cheap. Compared to all the other types of tapes I've used it doesn't move, doesn't cause flat tires, it's light (3g for one layer for a 700C RIM) and so cheap that a roll will last you a lifetime. Beat that. There are almost no negatives - except what the other guy found - it's a bit of a hassle to remove. But where he took an hour, I take ten minutes - with a thin knife blade and some lacquer thinners.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.