mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Strange Racing Ralph Sidewall Issue

Anyone ever seen anything like this? The tire has about 50 miles on it.

Strange Racing Ralph Sidewall Issue-picture-031.jpg

Strange Racing Ralph Sidewall Issue-picture-030.jpg

mtbr member
    Interesting. Those are rubberized hotpatches that are cured 'in-mold'. What happened is that two hotpatches (each) were placed onto the tire. The hotpatch is designed to stick to the casing of the tire, but not to another hotpatch. So the second hotpatch is now peeling off.

This is a cosmetic issue only. Try tearing the outer hotpatches off. If the tire then looks acceptable to you, don't worry about it. If it still looks like junk and it bothers you, contact Schwalbe or your LBS to get a replacement.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    my nobby nics started doing that a couple days after i put them on. i peeled most of the outer stuff off as bholwell suggested and havent had an issue. still lacking in the quality dept if you ask me but i like the tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks’

I contacted the retailer (He has been Great) and he has been in touch with the distributor and Schwalbe Germany. The distributor told him I should "just use a different tire with tougher sidewalls" (TOTAL BS). Schwalbe Germany said "It is just an optical issue and doesn’t affect the running characteristics" (MORE BS). I have sent an inquiry to Schwalbe in Canada and they have not gotten back to me. In any other industry the manufacturer would be doing back flips to make this right and replace a defective product

I've been an exclusive user of Schwalbe products for the last 4 years for Road, MTB & CX purchasing around 10-15 tires per year. However if this is were there QC & Cust. Service is going I may have to look for another supplier.