mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Stout 29er wheels(budget)

I am looking for a fairly strong set of wheels/hubs for a 235lb rider for my 29er. I have somewhat narrowed it down to the WTB TCS i23 wheelset. I would like to stay around $350-400 for the set. I don't need them to be tubeless ready, as the others I mentioned are, but I need them to be strong. Would love to get the set, already built, ready to mount up and roll. Whatcha got?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by vtelvr View Post
    I am looking for a fairly strong set of wheels/hubs for a 235lb rider for my 29er. I have somewhat narrowed it down to the WTB TCS i23 wheelset. I would like to stay around $350-400 for the set. I don't need them to be tubeless ready, as the others I mentioned are, but I need them to be strong. Would love to get the set, already built, ready to mount up and roll. Whatcha got?
    You can get the Speed TCS All-Mountain 29er wheelset for $400 but the hubs are really cheap. They are Formula Cup and Cone models, not the kind of hubs I'd expect to find on a $400 wheelset.

This is a much better deal since tubeless is not a concern.
    Mountain - 29er - Mavic TN719 "29er" - XT Disc - Bicycle Wheel Warehouse

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    You can get the Speed TCS All-Mountain 29er wheelset for $400 but the hubs are really cheap. They are Formula Cup and Cone models, not the kind of hubs I'd expect to find on a $400 wheelset.

This is a much better deal since tubeless is not a concern.
    Mountain - 29er - Mavic TN719 "29er" - XT Disc - Bicycle Wheel Warehouse
    I have looked at those. I guess my biggest fear is getting a new wheelset that costs that much, and not really getting an upgrade. I know any of the wheels out there can break when treated badly, but my last front wheel taco-ed. Of course I understand that the forces played into it, but I just don't want a weak rim if I can help it. Thank you for your suggestion!

Former Bike Wrench
    I have looked at those. I guess my biggest fear is getting a new wheelset that costs that much, and not really getting an upgrade. I know any of the wheels out there can break when treated badly, but my last front wheel taco-ed. Of course I understand that the forces played into it, but I just don't want a weak rim if I can help it. Thank you for your suggestion!
    The Mavic TN719 is a very strong rim, not weak at all. However, it isn't the widest rim out there. If you are looking for super stout you might consider using something like the Sun-Ringle MTX33 rims. You could get a wheelset built up using these rims with a decent hub set (Shimano, SRAM) and DT spokes for your budget. You might check with Lacemine29.com and see what can be done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That's good reassurance. I have Maxxis Ignitor tires in the 2.1 or 2.2 flavor currently. Would those tires be too wide for the Mavic rims? If not, I will probably go that route.

However, I know the LBS has the Sun Ringle Black flag wheelsets already built and ready for purchase...any insight on those?

Former Bike Wrench
    That's good reassurance. I have Maxxis Ignitor tires in the 2.1 or 2.2 flavor currently. Would those tires be too wide for the Mavic rims? If not, I will probably go that route.

However, I know the LBS has the Sun Ringle Black flag wheelsets already built and ready for purchase...any insight on those?
    Those tires would be fine on the Mavic rims. As far as the Sun-Ringle wheels, the Chargers would be the stouter model...the Black Flags are their lighter XC orientated model.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Looked at a set of Sun Ringle Chargers at the LBS...they wanted $550 for the set, and they had loose ball bearings instead of cartridge bearings. I really don't know which are better, but I didn't like the way they felt when I turned the axle. It felt almost gritty,,,

Thanks mtnbiker72 for all of the info...I may end up just getting those Mavics you proposed at first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    NEW 29'r WTB Frequency TCS i23 wheelset wheels XT 6 bolt hubs NEW | eBay

How do these compare with the Mavic wheels that were posted? I really like the look of these, and they are right in my price range as well. I have read a few threads on these...general consensus says they are good....

Former Bike Wrench
    I doubt they are any more durable than the Mavics but they are wider and tubeless ready (though as you mentioned that is not important). They've only been on the market for a year or less so long term durability is unknown.

I'd want to know if they are hand built or machine built...makes a big difference in long term durability. I know the Mavic wheels I linked are hand built by a company with a solid reputation.
    Last edited by mtnbiker72; 06-01-2012 at 03:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Looked at a set of Sun Ringle Chargers at the LBS...they wanted $550 for the set, and they had loose ball bearings instead of cartridge bearings. I really don't know which are better, but I didn't like the way they felt when I turned the axle. It felt almost gritty,,,

Thanks mtnbiker72 for all of the info...I may end up just getting those Mavics you proposed at first.
    Which year Chargers? I have 2011 Charger Experts, come with cartridge bearings and roll super smooth.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Which year Chargers? I have 2011 Charger Experts, come with cartridge bearings and roll super smooth.
    As are my 2011 Charger Experts...I know there are a "Comp" level out there but they shouldn't be priced at $550 and they're still listed as cartridge bearing
    Universal Cycles -- SunRingle AM Charger Comp 29" Wheelset

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Would the 28 spoke chargers be a worry over a 32 spoke wheel?

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4" and 240 lbs, they are holding up just fine under me for aggresive trail riding along with 1-3 ft drops. Also I was expecting some flex in the rear but nothing so far at all, and my tire clearance on the Honzo with 2.25 Ardents is minimal.

They set up easy tubeless and I purchased mine for $300 in the winter, an awesome deal. The only thing I replaced was the freehub body. It turns out the Experts are in fact with an aluminum freehub body and my 12-36 cassette wasn't having it on the climbs.

For $70, Sun-Ringle can sell you a cromoly freehub body (same as on the Demon DH wheelset) but with correct bearing and axle spacing. One thing I did note about the new freehub body is the cartridge bearings are much further apart than on the aluminum freehub, the axle spacer is half the size now, and this can only be a good thing for abuse and durability down the line. Didn't gain much in weight either, the cromoly piece is only 40g heavier.

Former Bike Wrench
    Hasn't been an issue for me on a 5" travel 29er...I have weighed between 230# and my current 210# and don't shy away from drops, rock gardens, and log crossings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I bought hope flows for my downhill bike and hope crests for my se stout 29er 350 will get them and shipping is free to the us. Hope Wheels | Cycle Products at Wiggle

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have received my Mavic/Shimano Wheels. I bought them from BicycleWheelWarehouse.com. They came expertly packaged, and in perfect condition. I was able to get everything transferred over except for the cassette last night, and they look really good. The Mavic rims have the eyelets for the spokes, and they do look 100% stronger than the originals that came with my bike.

Thanks mtnbiker72 for your help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Reviving this thread with a question about the Mavic TN719 mentioned above. BicycleWheelWarehouse says its compatible with Shimano 8/9 speed rear cassettes. Does this mean it won't work with a SRAM X7 2x10 drivetrain? Is there a version of these that will work with the SRAM setup?