ballbuster

Stiffness... Stan's Crest 29er vs. DT Swiss X470 29er

Howdy,

I need to build a Lefty front wheel. I'm 210# loaded up, and this is going on the front of my Singlespeed. These are all 32 spoke wheels.

I've been riding a regular DT Swiss X470 rim, and they are kinda noodley, but tolerable. I know I'm over the published weight limit for these rims, but so far they've been holding up okay for me. I did taco one in a bad trail mistake, but I don't think any XC grade or light trailbike grade rim would have survived it.

A bud gave me a Stan's Crest 29er rim, as well as some WTB SpeedDisc rims, which are heavy, and they don't feel much stiffer to me than the DT Swiss X470's which are 50g lighter. The Crest is actually like half a millimeter wider, so tire bed size should be the same.

So, the deal is, I need to build up a wheel for my (soon to be) Lefty Singlespeed. Consiering that the DT Swiss rims are sort okay, can I expect the Crest (which is 70g lighter than the DT Swiss) to be at least as stiff as the DT Swiss?

If so, I'll build it. I dunno... I guess I already own it. The only think I'm going to lose here is a day of riding and gain a walk home (or to the ER ) if it doesn't hold up... oh yeah, and the spokes might not fit, meaning I might have to drop $40 on new spokes.

What do you folks think?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I would use Stan's Arch rims at your weight.

ballbuster

Well, yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I would use Stan's Arch rims at your weight.

.... but I'm broke, and I don't own a Stan's Arch. I do own a Crest.

And like I said, I'm on DT Swiss x470 rims now, with the same weight limit (*edit* actually, Stan's doesn't list a weight limit, now that I look at it), but with a regular kinda hub. I need to build a Lefty wheel. I also don't tend to bend wheels, especially on the singlespeed. Oh, and I forgot to mention... I have about zero desire to go tubeless. I tried it, and the benefits were less than the hassle.

I'm just asking if this is a step backwards in stiffness over the x470 rim.

I'm also hoping that folks who have actually used these rims will chime in. I need real world feedback, not 'think so' feedback from those who ride bikes from their armchairs.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 02-26-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Save Jesus
    Most of the stiffness comes from the spokes anyway. Just build up the wheel well and bring them up to tension.

Stan's rims seem to have a lower max tension spec than others, so the resultant wheel may not be as strong.

A wider rim will feel stiffer because it makes the tire less floppy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Go Stans Arch

Stans Arch. Totally bullet proof.

ballbuster

*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by chrispopovic View Post
    Stans Arch. Totally bullet proof.
    read above... both posts.