short timer
    Jul 2008

Stan's ZTR/Arch 29'rs and ?

Stan's ZTR/Arch 29r wheel set and what Tubeless Tire?

Everything I've read here is tubeless wheels are the most beneficial upgrade to the Kona Unit. Is there a Maxxis tire that is "tubeless" that will work as well or better than the Ignitors?

I was looking for other tires and also read from the Treefort Website regarding Schwalbe 2011 Racing Ralph HS 391 29" Evo Tubeless tires>
    "NOTE: Stan's NoTube's does not recommend the use of these tires with their rims."
    Why?

Thanks for helping!

mtbr member
    I love Maxxis tires and I've gone tubeless with Aspens and Ignitors. No problem.
    60; it's the new 40!

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Sac29 View Post

I was looking for other tires and also read from the Treefort Website regarding Schwalbe 2011 Racing Ralph HS 391 29" Evo Tubeless tires>
    "NOTE: Stan's NoTube's does not recommend the use of these tires with their rims."
    Why?

Thanks for helping!
    Did you read one of the reviews on the Treefort site...that'd probably be the reason
    Schwalbe 2011 Racing Ralph HS 391 29" Evo Tubeless Ready in Tree Fort Bikes Tires (mtb) (cat544)

short timer
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the replies- yep, I read the review... but that's one model/width of the RR... I was looking to find out if it applies to all RR ... all Schwalbe tires ? I'm just learning the ropes here- UST, non-UST, sealants... ghetto!...
    It appears that while the Stan's setup is a good one, they are limited by tire selection and "finickyness"... the prices was right ($407) but has since expired...
    I'll read up on the Mavic UST rims - any suggestions for a good entry level setup , please advise!
    Thanks!

psycho cyclo addict
    I say forget about UST rims (heavier for no good reason). Go with Stan's rims and Racing Ralph's. I run Flow and 355 rims with RaRa EVO's (2.4/2.25) and Pacestar's (2.4/2.25) all setup tubeless without any problems. Maxxis Ignitor's would be fine too but RaRa's have lower rolling resistance and I imagine are lighter as well. There have been blow off issues with some RaRa's. Of the 15+ peeps I ride with who run RaRa's on Stan's rims (many of us have multiple bikes running them), only one has had an issue and he got a warranty replacement tire from Schwalbe.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I say forget about UST rims (heavier for no good reason). Go with Stan's rims and Racing Ralph's..
    Or just about any rim with tape and any TLR tire. Or a boatload of other non-UST spec tires besides RR's.

I have run 3 mtn bikes and 2 road bike tubeless for years, none have UST rims, various tires (UST required for road) none have burped or failed.

There is plenty of disagreement in this forum as to what may be reliable and what may be a "crapshoot.". So far I'm batting 1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

short timer
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the info, exactly what i was looking for, I just didn't want to blindly guess- I have to pick strong and cheap... or maybe a little more grit under the nails...
    Cheers

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sac29 View Post
    Thanks for the info, exactly what i was looking for, I just didn't want to blindly guess- I have to pick strong and cheap... or maybe a little more grit under the nails...
    My total guess is that "light" is what makes those Racing Ralph TLR's a crapshoot. I don't race anymore, having grown old and feeble, so "stupid light" has less appeal than ever. But "needlessly heavy" has no appeal either. So I generally opt for TLR tires and rims with bead ledges that use tape to seal over UST.Two examples of non UST rims with ledges are ZTR (which also have a bead socket), and WTB laser disc.

Currently I'm running 650b which have no TLR or UST tires. I run Pacenti Neomoto tires tubeless on 2 wheelsets, a 2.3 and a 2.1 on WTB Laser disc trails, and 2.1's on ZTR 355's. Tape and sealant only, no rimstrips. Hard to seat on the WTB, but once mounted bulletproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

short timer
    Jul 2008
    granted this is a cx site , http://www.cxmagazine.com/going-tube...ecommendations...

"Tires that have worked well tubeless but only on NoTubes/Stans rims:
    -Schwalbe Racing Ralph"