The need for singlespeed

Stan's. XC717. Karma 2.0? Coaching requested.

Man, I was really hoping to not start a thread about a tubeless conversion. But I really don't want to rely on my LBS for this. In the interest of completeness, this might get a little wordy...

I'm running a mullet setup with XC717s--disk up front, V out back--so the rims are a little different. I haven't even cracked my bottle of Stan's yet. Right now I'm just trying to get the tires to hold air. Following Stan's video on installation as closely as possible. Drilled the inside valve stem holes to 3/8."

Up front on the disk rim, Stan's rim strip installed without issue over my Velox spoke tape. My Karma 2.0 slips on easily but it's so loose it won't hold the air forced in with my floor pump (I don't have an air compressor, and if possible I'd rather not buy one). I painted mold builder onto the beads but after thoroughly drying it still wouldn't hold air--it's just too loose it seems. As an experiment, I tried a Conti Cross Country tire, which was a ***** to get on but fit tightly and indeed inflated! It would hold air for a couple minutes--I could hear a slow leak at the valve stem, which I guess would be sealed had I had Stan's in there. He says if you can inflate the tire, his sealant will seal it.

So the Conti experiment was successful--it seems like it could work. That's good news, but I'm not interested in running that tire for general use (it's a 1.5" mud/CX tire).

Seems I should give up on the Karma up front--Ineed a tire that fits more tightly. I've been thinking of going with a different tire up front anyway. Something a little more aggressive but not much heavier, maybe the Blue Groove 2.0 or the Nevegal 1.95? Are either of these tighter fitters than the Karma? Any other recommendations?

I'm still hopeful that the Karma will hold air on the rear V-brake rim, but I haven't monkeyed with it much yet.

So that's where I am. Thanks for reading. Informed advice is appreciated and rewarded, if I haven't already repped you recently!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sorry I am not contributing a solution, but I have the exact same problem with my 717's but with evo nobby nics and racing ralphs. The fit is just not tight enough. To make things harder, the 717's need the presta strip which won't inflate even using a standard presta-schraeder adapter. I think I am going to purchase the specific no-tubes adapter because I believe they might be slightly different with a removable core presta valve. I'm still searching for a solution and will check back in if I find one (short of returning my tubeless kit)/

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    For the tires to inflate, the bead should be touching the Stan's rubber strip all the way around the rim when you air it up. To do this you may have to build up the inner diameter of the rim by adding more layers of tape. Gorilla tape from the hardware store works well. Just put a couple layers under the Stans strip. The strip should also lay flat all the way across the profile.

Also use soapy water or windex on the beads to help initial inflation. If you don't have a compressor you can go to the gas station.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooge View Post
    For the tires to inflate, the bead should be touching the Stan's rubber strip all the way around the rim when you air it up. To do this you may have to build up the inner diameter of the rim by adding more layers of tape. Gorilla tape from the hardware store works well. Just put a couple layers under the Stans strip. The strip should also lay flat all the way across the profile.

Also use soapy water or windex on the beads to help initial inflation. If you don't have a compressor you can go to the gas station.
    building up the centre of the rim implies that the tyre bead would then be forced outwards towards the bead-lock, when in reality it still just sits naturally towards the centre of the rim, in my case?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by parkrider View Post
    building up the centre of the rim implies that the tyre bead would then be forced outwards towards the bead-lock, when in reality it still just sits naturally towards the centre of the rim, in my case?
    In the end you want the surface that the Stan's strip lays on to be flat. If your rim has a channel in the middle, then you need to add more material in the channel to make it even with the sides. Then put the Stan's rim strip on.

If you still can't seal, you may have to build up the entire width of the rim to get fit between the tire and rim strip to be tighter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ok, but adding more and more means that the stans rim strip can no longer be seated underneath the beadlock of the rim?

The need for singlespeed
    On the V-brake rim, the Karma wouldn't even go on with the Stan's rim strip on. The strip made the channel too shallow. So, too loose up front, too tight out back. Strangely, the Contis went on tight and inflated on both rims with a floor pump, suggesting it's something to do with the tires.

I gave up on the Kendas and will try Maxxis Ignitor and Larsen TT. They'll be here tomorrow...

Rub it............
    A little trick I have used in the past when using a NON tubeless/tubeless ready tire is to install the tire first with a tube to get one side of the bead to seat. Let it sit overnight. Next day, only break one bead. Air up tire with a compressor, then add the Stans with the injector through the valve stem after removing the core.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    A little trick I have used in the past when using a NON tubeless/tubeless ready tire is to install the tire first with a tube to get one side of the bead to seat. Let it sit overnight. Next day, only break one bead. Air up tire with a compressor, then add the Stans with the injector through the valve stem after removing the core.
    Tried that as well, but as soon as the tube is removed, the sidewalls are not thick enough to retain the shape and return to the centre again. Possibly going to return this kit.