Proud lame eBiker

Stans vrs. Caffelatex?

So, I've been a fan of Stans fluid for years, but after this last two weeks I'm looking for other options.

Stan's Crest rims with Racing Ralph TL tires. 29er if that matters.

Totally untrustworthy. Sometimes they hold air. An hour later flat with about 10psi in them. Back seemed to be holding fine for three days, then went flat. Frustrating to say the least.

I've done many many wheels and for some reason these are killing me. I even threw on a new Rocket Ron on the front. Held air for an hour, then flatted.

So, what's the verdict between the Stan's Fluid and CaffeLatex brown stuff?
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    All the comparisons I have read favor Stan's sealant.

A little off topic, but I am a fan of the CL valves. They come with a free core tool (unlike Stans).

Get it unlocked.

mtbr member
    I dont know why your tire isnt sealing but I have used both sealers and the Stans last longer in the tire and seals punctures faster than the CaffeLatte. I have used the Stans for years and found myself trying the Caffelatte about a year ago. It dried up faster and I had to use twice as much to get things to seal and hold air. It turned out to cost more in the long run. I switched back to Stans and dont think I will switch back. Oh I seem to get thorn holes and sidewall tears alot and I average 2-3 flats out of 5-6 rides before using a tire sealer.
    Try to check your valve for leaking.
    I hope this helps, a little.
    Pedal Dammit!

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    So, I've been a fan of Stans fluid for years, but after this last two weeks I'm looking for other options.

Stan's Crest rims with Racing Ralph TL tires. 29er if that matters.

Totally untrustworthy. Sometimes they hold air. An hour later flat with about 10psi in them. Back seemed to be holding fine for three days, then went flat. Frustrating to say the least.

I've done many many wheels and for some reason these are killing me. I even threw on a new Rocket Ron on the front. Held air for an hour, then flatted.

Some of the Schwalbe TL sidewalls are super porous. Gotta get the sealant into the sidewall pores. With UST rims, I use 55 psi and laying the TL tires on their sides over the course of a few nights. It seems to work. The sidewall stretches, the pores open, sealant enters and seals them.

Just curious, any reason why you are not considering Slime Pro sealant? Not saying its the best or anything . . .
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

Proud lame eBiker
    The biggest issue is this is for a customer who does a lot of traveling to his races. It's happened a few times when on the pre-ride the day before he gets a puncture and replaces a tire, installs new sealant, and is ready to go the following morning.
    After always using a version of Specialized Tubeless Ready tires, he is completely unhappy with this new, albeit, lighter set-up.

See, he doesn't have three days to sit around shaking his tire and refilling with air making sure that the sealant gets to all the pores on the sidewall. He;s in his hotel room at 6pm the night before the race swapping tires, and he needs to be able to go to sleep knowing his tires are going to be race ready when he wakes up. Not having to do the shake and pray method moments before the gun goes off.

I'm not sure if maybe he has been using a bottle of Stan's that somehow is bad. It's a container that he bought 4 months ago, but had not opened it until last week.

I built the wheels. Set the tires. Topped the tires off the next morning and he grabbed the bike and off he went for a ride. Stopped a few times to pump it up and nearly rolled the front once because he got too caught up in how cool his new bike was an forgot about the absolute sh!t tire he had on the front.

Some might say, "Well, just use the heavier tire that's fully tubeless then." And to that I say, phooie! I'm not a Specialized dealer, but I'll send him to one if that means he can run a tubeless ready tire that's just as light and hold air like it's supposed to. He's a racer guy who's ripping around on a 20lb hard tail that's he's invested heavily in to be that light, and the last thing he wants to is throw on an un needed 60grams per wheel. I'm sure anyone can understand that, right?

I'm just frustrated. I've never had a tire be this absolute garbage trying to hold air. Heck even a regular keval beaded tire has never given me this much greif and that's not even a tire that's supposed to be "tubeless Ready".

When I called Schwalbe the fellow just cut me short and said to go the webpage, download warranty info sheet, fill it out and send in the tire. I'm guessing that this is an ongoing problem for them? By his reaction I'd venture a guess at yes. Problem is, is that I mounted another brand new Racing Ralph Tubeless Ready tire and again it went down.

I really love the Schwalbe tire line-up. I think they have some of the best tread patterns out there. I've invested pretty heavy into them in my store and want to be able to stand behind them. If the best that can be said is the standard, "Overfill with Stan's. Shake it around. Lay it on it's side. Sometimes takes THREE DAYS to seal right, " then I think I'm going to have a fire sale on Schwalbe tires and blow them out of my store. I've spent too much effort and time on them at this point to keep banging my head against the proverbial wall.

phew.....end rant.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Save Jesus
    Did u wash out the inside of the tire with soap water and / or alcohol to make it more hydrophilic?

Don't just mindlessly lay the tire on the side and hope the sealant patches holes. You need to spray the tire down with soap water to look for the leaks and splash sealant there until the hole seals up.

After the first few rides, some new holes may open up. Read the above paragraph and re-do the procedure again. Usually after about 3 rides the tire only loses a few psi a week.

Fat & Single
    Yep, hold the wheel underwater (bath) and see where the air is coming from, with TL tyres, Stans and Notubes rims you should be trouble free so check if the air is either getting below the tape and out the nipple holes or out of the valve.

What tape is on them ?
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Helmetless Crasher

Idea!

The biggest issue is this is for a customer who does a lot of traveling to his races. It's happened a few times when on the pre-ride the day before he gets a puncture and replaces a tire, installs new sealant, and is ready to go the following morning.
    After always using a version of Specialized Tubeless Ready tires, he is completely unhappy with this new, albeit, lighter set-up.

See, he doesn't have three days to sit around shaking his tire and refilling with air making sure that the sealant gets to all the pores on the sidewall. He;s in his hotel room at 6pm the night before the race swapping tires, and he needs to be able to go to sleep knowing his tires are going to be race ready when he wakes up. Not having to do the shake and pray method moments before the gun goes off.

I'm not sure if maybe he has been using a bottle of Stan's that somehow is bad. It's a container that he bought 4 months ago, but had not opened it until last week.

I built the wheels. Set the tires. Topped the tires off the next morning and he grabbed the bike and off he went for a ride. Stopped a few times to pump it up and nearly rolled the front once because he got too caught up in how cool his new bike was an forgot about the absolute sh!t tire he had on the front.

Some might say, "Well, just use the heavier tire that's fully tubeless then." And to that I say, phooie! I'm not a Specialized dealer, but I'll send him to one if that means he can run a tubeless ready tire that's just as light and hold air like it's supposed to. He's a racer guy who's ripping around on a 20lb hard tail that's he's invested heavily in to be that light, and the last thing he wants to is throw on an un needed 60grams per wheel. I'm sure anyone can understand that, right?

I'm just frustrated. I've never had a tire be this absolute garbage trying to hold air. Heck even a regular keval beaded tire has never given me this much greif and that's not even a tire that's supposed to be "tubeless Ready".

When I called Schwalbe the fellow just cut me short and said to go the webpage, download warranty info sheet, fill it out and send in the tire. I'm guessing that this is an ongoing problem for them? By his reaction I'd venture a guess at yes. Problem is, is that I mounted another brand new Racing Ralph Tubeless Ready tire and again it went down.

I really love the Schwalbe tire line-up. I think they have some of the best tread patterns out there. I've invested pretty heavy into them in my store and want to be able to stand behind them. If the best that can be said is the standard, "Overfill with Stan's. Shake it around. Lay it on it's side. Sometimes takes THREE DAYS to seal right, " then I think I'm going to have a fire sale on Schwalbe tires and blow them out of my store. I've spent too much effort and time on them at this point to keep banging my head against the proverbial wall.

phew.....end rant.
    Having just battled a Schwalbe TL-ready tire for a few days, I feel your pain and that of your customer.

Pls message me when you decide to have that Schwalbe fire sale!
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

not so super...
    The caffe latex might do a better job sealing the tire sidewall but don't expect it to seal a trail incurred puncture.

You could always paint the inside of the sidewalks with some mold builder latex.

FWIW - I don't have any problem getting Maxxis tires to seal up tubeless with Stan's. EXO models work exceptionally well if your customer wants to change tires.
    Nothing to see here.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Yep, hold the wheel underwater (bath) and see where the air is coming from, with TL tyres, Stans and Notubes rims you should be trouble free so check if the air is either getting below the tape and out the nipple holes or out of the valve.

What tape is on them ?
    No leaking thru rim or valve for sure. I pulled off the first round of 21mm tape and super stretched some 25mm tape in there. Punched whole. Threw on a tube/tire and aired it up for a few hours.

Installed the TL RARa with the CaffeLatex and sealed up fine. Four days and going strong.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Mountain Bike Action flat out said it doesn't work. Not that I believe everything they say but I don't see them handing out 1 star reviews very often.

Got a suspension fork
    I've been using Caffelatex for several years and love the stuff, seals great.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides