just another bleepin SSer

Stans in tubed tires

Not exactly MTB related, but seemed like this was the right place to post.

A friend was getting new tires/tubs for her commuter, and wanted to have the tubes slimed. The shop she went to didn't have slime, so sold her Stans. Bottle is unopened, and she thought I might know something about bikes (little does she know), so asked me if it would work the same. I know it seals flats on tubeless tires, but never heard of it used for tubed. Would it do the same? Or should she return and get slime?
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member

We the people ...

I put Stan's in my wife's mtb tubes because I live in the land of cactus, but the bike only only gets ridden about 6-5 times a year.

It works just fine once it's in, it's just a major pain to do unless you have one of the mythical tubes with a removable core (there's like ONE brand, and I forgot which).

I ended up cutting a small hole, putting in Stan's and patching the hole. Just make sure there is ZERO STANS ANYWHERE EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO THE HOLE. it will render the patch as useless as oiled brake pads.

It's ghetto as hell, but 8 months later I still here the sealant sloshing, and the patch is holding.

EDIT: it's a commuter bike, return the stan's and get pre-slimed tubes from Amazon. It's probably what I'll do for my wife's bike when my current setup fails. weight be damned, it's so much less hassle.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    I run them in my tubular tires on my road bike. One of the tires has a couple of punctures and the Stan's is holding.

Class Clown
    i think q tubes have removable cores

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Another option if you don't want to patch the tube is to use pliers to force the retaining nut off the plunger thing that goes into the stem. That piece will drop into the tube and as long as you catch it (you can use a binder clip to hold it in place), it's easy to fit it back into the stem after you've injected sealant. I ran this setup successfully on an older bike that didn't have TR rims.