Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrozCountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    673

    Stan's solids inside tire

    I found this interesting rubber structure inside a tire that had Stans liquid for about two months.
    It is gray rubber and about an inch. Probably a chunk of latex.
    Check it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,998
    Stan's "booger", completely normal.

  3. #3
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,927
    good on crackers too.

  4. #4
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,501
    I like to squeeze em.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrozCountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    673
    I am thinking if its that big after a couple of months, what happens after a few more months? Does it finish the liquid?

  6. #6
    is turning a big gear
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    I am thinking if its that big after a couple of months, what happens after a few more months? Does it finish the liquid?
    It will spread to different parts of the bike and eventually the rider.
    Get it unlocked.

  7. #7
    ouch....
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,785
    Here was my last one:
    Riding.....

  8. #8
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,943
    This one formed in just 3 weeks:




    Just add some Mexican Señor Stan's for some real flavor.


  9. #9
    Trail Prospector
    Reputation: Flyin_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,570
    Changed tire to find -->

    this gigundo goober. Full season of Stan's, 3 top-offs, 8-thorns, 1 torn sidewall, no flats.
    Last edited by Flyin_W; 10-27-2011 at 01:12 PM.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrozCountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    673
    I just found out when doing another wheel that I have the booger in the bottle as well. Not huge, like half inch. I say kill them when they are small

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2
    I have the same thing happening in my tires, along with a healthy buildup of more stringy lumps stuck to the inside of the tire.
    I have also had a couple of flats that were not too big (much, much smaller than the ones in the stan's demo video) but where liquid sealant would just keep squirting out without sealing the puncture which leads me to believe that there is not enough latex left in the liquid because it has all hardened up already

    This was about 1 month after filling up fresh sealant.
    Now I live in a hot climate with plenty of 100+ days in the summer, and that may have something to do with it.
    Still, ~1 month lifespan on sealant isn't very good, is there a sealant that is better for hot climates than stan's?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tfrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by martinisadork View Post
    I have the same thing happening in my tires, along with a healthy buildup of more stringy lumps stuck to the inside of the tire.
    I have also had a couple of flats that were not too big (much, much smaller than the ones in the stan's demo video) but where liquid sealant would just keep squirting out without sealing the puncture which leads me to believe that there is not enough latex left in the liquid because it has all hardened up already

    This was about 1 month after filling up fresh sealant.
    Now I live in a hot climate with plenty of 100+ days in the summer, and that may have something to do with it.
    Still, ~1 month lifespan on sealant isn't very good, is there a sealant that is better for hot climates than stan's?
    You can add a bit of Slime to keep it moist longer. 2 parts Stan's and 1 part Slime (or 1/2 part)

    SLIME – Worldwide Leader in Tire Care – Repairing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant
    Last edited by Tfrost; 11-02-2011 at 11:57 AM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newfangled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,117
    My homebrew booger out of a 2.4 ardent.



    That's after a full season, with 1 top-up. The booger had scoured the inside of the tire clean, and there was no other sealant left.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    430
    Those are some attractive boogers to look at while I am eating lunch. It's only a matter of time before one in the shape of Jesus is found!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfrost View Post
    You can add a bit of Slime to keep it moist longer. 2 parts Stan's and 1 part Slime (or 1/2 part)
    Which kind of slime? The UST stuff or the regular, thick tubeless stuff?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tfrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by martinisadork View Post
    Which kind of slime? The UST stuff or the regular, thick tubeless stuff?
    I've only used the regular Slime w/ Stan's.
    I suppose if you used the UST version, you wouldn't need Stan's.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrozCountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    673
    Do you guys also get the boogers in UST tires? I imagine a UST tire is completely sealed, so there is less evaporation. Maybe it means that stan's does not dry as fast. And maybe not

  18. #18
    greedy
    Reputation: have2ride2day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    432
    Amazing. I thought that I was the only one finding these things. I have been ashamed until now. I can see this turning into a "biggest booger" thread.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    138
    Interesting to know that the tubless sealants create boogers. Some of the pics almost look like coral! Do these effect the tires at all? I only ask since some companies void warranty if you use a sealant with the UST tires..
    '06 Big Hit 1
    '06 Stump Jumper FSR
    http://www.youtube.com/Irishcarbombs85

  20. #20
    Trail Prospector
    Reputation: Flyin_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    Those are some attractive boogers to look at while I am eating lunch. It's only a matter of time before one in the shape of Jesus is found!
    Mmm, more tasty appetizers...

    Batting 1000. Changed front Ardent 2.4 to find the one on the Stan's cup. The other came from the rear Saguaro 2.2. Couldn't feel 'em, until fully deflated, liquid remained,
    no flats for 8 months. Wiped inside w/ sponge, refilled, and ready to go ride. Got salsa?
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrozCountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    673
    In the future when I change/fix tires I am keeping it until I win the biggest booger contest

  22. #22
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,943
    They're found not just inside tires. I pulled out this bugger from inside a 16 oz. bottle of Stan's today.


  23. #23
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,943
    I found a winner today, I've never seen one this big, it's a monster!


Similar Threads

  1. 3 month old stans inside, see the pic...
    By madsedan in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 02:57 PM
  2. Blistering on inside of Tire?
    By Steelmonkey in forum Arizona
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 01:06 PM
  3. Tubless Tire VS Standard Tire w/ Stans Conversion
    By knottshore in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 05:57 PM
  4. tire clearance, how much is enough? (pic inside)
    By reptilezs in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 01:00 AM
  5. life after stans: using a stans tire with a tube?
    By Barkdog in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 11:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •