mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Stans no tubes ZTR Flow or Dt Swiss EX 500?

What do you guys think? I'm planning to change the rims of my titus el guapo to something more heavy duty.. my current rims are dt swiss XR4.1d which are light... Which rim is better for All mountain - light freeride, dowhill? I like the stans ztr flow because it is light but I'm not sure if it's durable enough... hope you guys can help me tnx!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stans no tubes ZTR Flow or Dt Swiss EX 500?-flow-white-large.jpg  

Stans no tubes ZTR Flow or Dt Swiss EX 500?-pho_ex_500_rgb_website.jpg  

Ibis MOJO 08
    Titus EL GUAPO 09

I Void Waranties
    from what ive heard is that dt is cheese. Im using the ztr on some 2.3 panaracer 29's and its just slightly of...that being said its been on a hardtail that has seen lots of roots some rocks and small drops. Its even seen a few rounds around the jump track. I would class them as an solid trail wheel. Go for it...
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a set of 5.1's and a set of Stans arch rims and I would get the DT rims over the stans, I don't weigh that much (185 lbs ) with gear and ride pretty smooth with Stans rims howevere they are a lot weaker then I expected. I have the Dt,s on my nomad and do everything from xc to freeride on them with out a complaint or them going untrue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beater
    I have a set of 5.1's and a set of Stans arch rims and I would get the DT rims over the stans, I don't weigh that much (185 lbs ) with gear and ride pretty smooth with Stans rims howevere they are a lot weaker then I expected. I have the Dt,s on my nomad and do everything from xc to freeride on them with out a complaint or them going untrue.
    Not sure if you can really compare the ZTR arch to the 500's/5.1's, I think the arch is similar to the 4.1's/400's

I have ztr flows and they are good, I like the profile of the tyre on this rim and the fact that its tubeless ready so potential to add an extra dimension to your wheels and the feel of them.

I don't think you can go wrong with either as they are both nice rims, what made me go for the ztr is the tubeless aspect and on a more vain point they look better than the dt's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ya you are right about the comparison I also own a set of 4.1s and they seem stronger then the Arch, I should have said that in the begining. The 5.1s are holding up to big drops and out of the two now I would only go with the 5.1 or a mavic wheel.

The OP has said light freeriding and since I bought the Arch because it said they were for " aggresive cross country" on their website and would not use them for anything but cross countryI am guessing thier " super d ect " for the flow is an overstatement also.

The reason I am saying this is I put the arch out of true on a g-out which was on a hiking trail. I just have not been impressed with the Stans like I thought I would.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think your right about the ztr arch most of the description sounds like marketing blurb in order to maximise coverage across different riders and disciplines.

I haven't had enough time on my ztr flows to stand behind them 100% but I just loved the idea of a tubeless set up. The 5.1's always seem to get good reviews and are the base line rim to judge others by which is never a bad thing.

Regarding abuse of the flow's, ride monkey downhill team are riding flows on hope 2's
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214810

Bottom line a well built set of wheels on either rims will stand up to most abuse from a trail rider including jumps, drops, rock gardens etc.

banned
    I can only speak for the Flow's and they hold up great and they are a very easy tubeless set-up. I'm running them on an agressive all-mtn set-up and I've had no flats, no bent or untrue rims - basically worry-free.All of my tires seal up with a floor pump, the beads pop and set at about 15psi and I normally run about 28psi with no worries!!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Ive been using the flows for over a year with I9 hubs and spokes
    drops 3-4' knarly off camber roots and babyheads . Plus I weigh 220 without gear
    wheels are straight and true as the day I bought them I would give them 5 stars

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beater
    The reason I am saying this is I put the arch out of true on a g-out which was on a hiking trail. I just have not been impressed with the Stans like I thought I would.
    Stan's rims are only as good as their builder. Who built yours?

OP, you can't go wrong with either. The ease of tubeless set up w/ Flows, made the decision for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What about width on these two rims? I know the Flows are wide what about the DT Swiss?

Are they the same width?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropout33
    What about width on these two rims? I know the Flows are wide what about the DT Swiss?

Are they the same width?
    they're almost similar the flows are 28mm and the dt swiss is 27.8mm...
    Ibis MOJO 08
    Titus EL GUAPO 09