Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Stan's install, ready to blow a gasket.

Im at my wits end, Im an hour and a half into this and cannot get the tire to seat, not even close...

I have some 26" Mavic Crossride rims, and two different sets of tires.. neither will seat...

Ive tried just the single strip of rim tape that came with the kit (which was partially ruined right of of the box but that is another story) that didnt work.. So I added two more layers of black tape, no difference.

I followed al the directions specifically and exactly and its not even close to working in any way whatsoever.

and the kicker, my LBS does not carry presta valve tubes.. so its stans or ****ed for me as far as plans this weekend go.

mtbr member
    5 layers of rim tape later it finally seated

EDIT: deflated, added sealent per directions, no cannot get to re-seat
    Last edited by ja001son; 11-16-2012 at 10:27 AM.

mtbr member
    pouring sweat, pump is hot to the touch, still no luck.

mtbr member
    prestal valve separated from liner, its junk.

This kit is junk, its ****ing garbage, ****ing pathetic.

mtbr member
    Awe man, sorry to hear Jason. I know, I don't usually have much luck with using a tire pump and my tubeless set up. Also, I've had hit and miss issues with "their" rim strips and have seen that exact, same situation of separation of stem from strip. I feel for you and wish I could help you out other than to say hang in there. I've faced similar situations with dealing with my bike(s) over the years and I shake my head and say "how do the average people get by?" as I've been working on bikes for 35+ years and been in engineering for 25+ years. PM me if you need any further advice. Maybe I'll still be able to help you out. Meanwhile, have a great weekend.

mtbr member
    Do you have a spare tube that you can rob the valve from and gorilla tape to make your own rim strip?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ja001son View Post

and the kicker, my LBS does not carry presta valve tubes..
    What the F ?

I have a suspicion that if you had stans valves and 3 or 4 layers of gorilla tape that you would have been good to go by now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    "pump is hot to the touch"

Are you trying to seat your tires with a hand pump?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norton05 View Post
    "pump is hot to the touch"

Are you trying to seat your tires with a hand pump?
    Man, I hope he is not trying to use a hand pump. Regardless, you should seat your tires with a tire lever first and pump them up with a floor pump. May need to make sure the tire is seated a couple of times but once you get the hang of it, should hold quickly.

mtbr member
    skipped an important step:

put in tubes and air to the max listed on the sidewall of the tire. let sit overnight. this forms the tire into the correct shape, rather than the janky shape it has after being folded and packaged.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    skipped an important step:

put in tubes and air to the max listed on the sidewall of the tire. let sit overnight. this forms the tire into the correct shape, rather than the janky shape it has after being folded and packaged.
    The more important procedure:

Put a tube in.
    Inflate.
    Done.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

WTB 29 allmountain wheels
    Nov 2012
    Is it really possible that there is no where close enough to buy a presta valve tube? That is nuts.

mtbr member
    FInally got one tire seated with the sealant in it, had to use CO2 inflater.

rolled the tire around on all edges and such to circulate the sealant and get everything set. Left it with 35 PSI

came home 4 hours later and it was flat.

Borrowed 2 tubes from a friend, ordered 6 online, threw stan's **** in the trash.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Sounds like you need a compressor
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Maybe the Mavic rims aren't tubeless friendly? I've watched the Stan's videos on their website (starring Stan himself) and he does it on several competitors rims and makes it look easy. He also uses a compressor though. The Stan's kits are used by a huge number of riders with success so I don't know if I would be so quick to label it "garbage".

I plan on going tubeless next race season and will be getting some Stans ZTR Crests built up. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Ironic that stan uses a compressor yet their directions specifically say not to.

Its a cute Idea, but I just cannot, not after today, justify the 1 benefit that tubeless gives compared to the mountain of utter ******** Ive endured today,.

mtbr member
    I put a tube in and 2 minutes later i was inflated and ready to ride. Sure you want tubeless?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    Maybe the Mavic rims aren't tubeless friendly?.
    The Crossrides are listed as compatible, thats why I bought them in the first place.

mtbr member
    That's why you buy UST rims and UST-compatible tires. You would have been done in 10 minutes, guaranteed.

Anything otherwise is a crapshoot.

Bro Mountainbiker
    You cant expect a converted rim to work with ease 100%. Try a stans rim and you will be surprised.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    What kinds of tires ?

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    What the F ?

I have a suspicion that if you had stans valves and 3 or 4 layers of gorilla tape that you would have been good to go by now.
    3 or 4 layers of Gorilla is WAY to much. One layer and overlap about an inch over the valve stem hole. Use a pencil to puncture hole for valve stem and that's it.

OP it is way easier to use an air compressor for the initial seating of the tire. Also, soapy water around the bead on both sides will help. Once you put the Stan's in and re-seat the tire, inflate to about 40 lbs NOT the tire max. Anything upwards of 50 and the tire could blow off the rim (I've seen it happen). After you re-seat the tire and inflate, you need to shake the tire side to side while rotating it to allow the Stan's to penetrate all areas of the tire. Especially around the valve stem. Put more soapy water around the bead to check for leaks. If you find any then shake the tire at that area to work the sealant into the leak.

I have found that brand new tubeless ready tires work best.

Good luck!

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by ja001son View Post
    The Crossrides are listed as compatible, thats why I bought them in the first place.
    They are! A buddy of mine has them and we used the Stan's kit on them with zero problems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A little soapy water around the edge of the tire works wonders.

Compressor is key too.

Been running tubeless Stan's rims with Schwalbe tires for 2 years. No problems mounting, no flats. Will never go back to tubes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    They are! A buddy of mine has them and we used the Stan's kit on them with zero problems.

WEll, I might mess with it again, eventually.

Since one of the strips failed I cant do both tires anyway, ill probably wait till I need new tires and get some UST tires and another strip and try it again..

I dont really have flats often, I was more interested in it in terms of eight savings, but it really doesn't seem like there is any

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast