Biker Boater Boarder

Stans hubs made by Sunringle?

Was curious if stans hubs were made by Sunringle?
    Which would you choose of the hubs... Stans 3.30 hubs or Hope?
    Thanks,
    Chaco
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitSurfer View Post
    Was curious if stans hubs were made by Sunringle?
    Which would you choose of the hubs... Stans 3.30 hubs or Hope?
    Thanks,
    Chaco
    Doubtful.

I would pick Hopes (and have). And ISO or UST spec rims.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sun Ringle hubs are not made by Sun Ringle...they are made by Chosen. Rumor has it the Stans ZTR hubs are also made by Chosen.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Earlier this spring I decided to go with the Hope rear hub over the 3.30. The bearings in the Hope failed after about 10 hours of aggressive XC use (the ones in the shell). The new bearings made the wheels smooth again but there was a lot of drag. Now, the latest bearings are rough with a bit of drag (and the ones in the cassette body feel pretty rough). Simply the worst spinning wheel I have ever had. Hope customer service is good, however.

Biker Boater Boarder
    Well now im not feeling warm and fuzzy about either! Ha ha!
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've been riding on Stan's hubs for about a year without any issues at all, in fact they spin far better than the Hopes on my previous bike. I can't speak to their long term durability but thus far they have been flawless.

mtbr member
    Well now im not feeling warm and fuzzy about either! Ha ha!
    You might consider White Industries...similar price range, very good US made hub, and more durable steel (ti option) freehub body. I also like American Classic/WTB hubs in that price range, as long as you don't mind a slightly slower engagement. But my WTB hubs that I have on two bikes now have almost zero drag and are pretty quiet.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

psycho cyclo addict
    +1 for Stan's rims.

I have two sets of Chris King ISOs, one set of Bontrager cup and cone w/ ball bearings and one set of Stan's Crest wheels (all setup tubeless). I do not notice a dramatic difference between them on rocky climbs, rooty and twisty trails, commutes to work or elsewhere. I just passed 3,000 miles for the year combined on these rides and hoping to break 3,500 before the end of December.

mtbr member
    I haven't had any issues with my Stan's hubs, after riding for about a year. However, I find the rear hub to be annoyingly loud. I like my White Industries and X-9 hub better from that regard. The WI hubs I have has been problem free for 2-3 years, but they do weight a bit more than the Stan's.

mtbr member
    I've had 6 sets (I think) of Stan's hubs over the years. I haven't had any problems with any of them. My current two sets are both a little over a year old and I haven't done any maintenance on them. Still running great.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by knl2stl View Post
    Earlier this spring I decided to go with the Hope rear hub over the 3.30. The bearings in the Hope failed after about 10 hours of aggressive XC use (the ones in the shell). The new bearings made the wheels smooth again but there was a lot of drag. Now, the latest bearings are rough with a bit of drag (and the ones in the cassette body feel pretty rough). Simply the worst spinning wheel I have ever had. Hope customer service is good, however.
    +1 on this. This is exactly my experience as well.

Biker Boater Boarder
    How much are you guys weighing in at while riding those hubs? Ie Hopes
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

mtbr member
    I've been running my Hope ProII Evo rear hub all season with no issues. Everything from aggressive xc to rail-trail path, probably close to 1k miles. For reference, I'm 225 soaking wet, probably 235 geared up.

mtbr member
    I am never over 170 pounds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Been riding the Stans wheels for well over a year and I haven't touched my 3.30 hub other than snugging up the rear a bit when it came loose. I ride the regular freehub w/ spacers and a SS cog. They are pretty durable in my opinion.

I just wish they'd sell the hubs by themselves rather than having to buy a complete wheelset.

banned
    How much are you guys weighing in at while riding those hubs? Ie Hopes
    165lbs when I had mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    +1 on the Stan's hubs. They've been hassel-free, roll great and sound great IMHO. I'm 190 lbs geared up. I have two sets of Stan's rims and hubs.