mtbr member

stans hub issues?

stans hub issues?-20130701_192053_resized.jpg

So, I've been riding a sets of Stans Arch EX wheels with the 3.30 hubs for a few months now on my geared bike.
    Today I went to take off the cassette and had the hardest time getting it off.
    When I finally did get it off, it appears that it has actually shifted on the hub to the point that the hub splines (?) are damaged.
    Not sure what could have caused this....anyone else have issues with this?

mtbr member
    Thats normal of every hub with a full aluminum freehub body.

davidcarson48
    Somewhat normal with a low-end cassette. If you use a cassette with a carrier for the largest cogs, it wouldn't be as severe. Grab an XT or SRAM 970/1070 or 990/1090 cassette and file down the burrs on the hub body.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    Somewhat normal with a low-end cassette. If you use a cassette with a carrier for the largest cogs, it wouldn't be as severe. Grab an XT or SRAM 970/1070 or 990/1090 cassette and file down the burrs on the hub body.
    +1 - if you run a Shimano XT, XTR or higher quality SRAM cassette, you would typically see bunching/notching primarily where the two smallest cogs meet the freehub body.

mtbpete
    Stan's has a steel freehub option now. Give them a call.

mtbr member
    thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm upgrading to a 2x10 and have an XT 10sp cassette.
    Will look in to the stan's steel freehub option as well.

davidcarson48
    If you are going to an XT cassette, no need for the steel free hub body. Just file down the burrs and you'll be fine.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rzims View Post
    thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm upgrading to a 2x10 and have an XT 10sp cassette.
    Will look in to the stan's steel freehub option as well.
    The wear pictured in your original post is not all that bad. I would definitely get steel for single speed but on geared bikes. As long as I can remove the cassette (and there is no strange slipping happening) then it is good to go.

My only beef with Stan's hubs are that I wasted a set of rear bearings on my Crest wheel set in less than 1 year. I also run three sets of Chris King hubs that have been rock solid after 4 years of mashing on them with minimal maintenance.

Bike rumor said Stan's new 3.60's are being built by i9... might be worth looking into though could be spendy.

mtbr member
    Just a quick update - I sent an email to Stan's and they replied almost immediately.
    Evidently I have an older hub with narrower splines. They've since improved them.
    They are sending out a replacement freehub...Fantastic Customer Service!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rzims View Post
    Just a quick update - I sent an email to Stan's and they replied almost immediately.
    Evidently I have an older hub with narrower splines. They've since improved them.
    They are sending out a replacement freehub...Fantastic Customer Service!
    I've had great luck with my new Stan's wheels and two recent upgrades to them, XD driver for XX1 and just today 12mm dropouts and axle on my Flow EX with 3.30 hubs. I had a question when installing the XD driver, they were very quick to reply and got it straightened out. would definitely consider them if I ever need another wheelset.

Will be sending them another email tonight... it seems like the 12mm+XD needs a certain end cap, the standard 12mm one is giving me odd results.