mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Stans Flow vs. WTB LaserDisc Trail 29'er

I am currently running a WTB LaserDisc Trail 29 in the front that has a pretty bad bend in it from a bad crash and the bike shop said that I probably want to replace the rim to prevent failure, but I could use the same spokes.

So I want to rebuild it (having never done so) and was curious if I could replace the WTB rim (erd of 605) with a stans flow (erd of 600) without replacing the spokes. Or would the WTB be stiffer and stronger than the stans?

Thanks

MTBR Member
    I would suggest a different rim for your first build, especially since you probably don't have a good tension meter. With the lack of eyelets, it needs to be right on to get a good wheel. Heck, the people at Stan's can't even seem to build nice wheels out of their rims. I would also avoid reusing spokes.

mtbr member
    I re-use spokes whenever possible, unless they've been damaged by dropped chains in the rear (or I don't like the original builder's choice of spokes or lacing pattern). The 5mm difference in erd between those rims may be too much; it depends on if the spokes were a little short or long to begin with. Calculate the spoke length required for the Flow with your hub, and measure one of your spokes.

Either of those rims should be adequate for a front wheel for almost anybody, if the build is good. A bad enough crash will also bend either. The WTB is heavier and may be stronger. It'd cheaper, but also pinned instead of welded. I've only built with the Flows.

I would find either a very experienced wheel builder, or a tension meter, for any wheels.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac