mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Stan's Flow Rims won't hold a tire

Can someone tell me if these wheels are problematic? I put a Flow on the rear of my bike a few months ago because I taco'ed the Rythym Pro that came on my Remedy. I'd seen where everyone raved about the rims, especially when running tubeless. Ive been running tubeless on my Remedy wheels since I bought the bike and never ever burped or blew off a single tire. I've run several different tires, from Nevegals, Excavators, Ignitors, Bontrager and etc - and never a problem. Now, since switching to the Flow, I've had nothing but burping and blowoffs. I've tried all of the tires mentioned above and none of them will stay on. Any ideas why a wheel that advertises running tubeless can't really run tubeless?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I run a ignitor lust and a high roller lust on my flows with no problems at all.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Haven't had any problem with rampages of mountain queens.
    mike

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by runjhike
    Can someone tell me if these wheels are problematic? I put a Flow on the rear of my bike a few months ago because I taco'ed the Rythym Pro that came on my Remedy. I'd seen where everyone raved about the rims, especially when running tubeless. Ive been running tubeless on my Remedy wheels since I bought the bike and never ever burped or blew off a single tire. I've run several different tires, from Nevegals, Excavators, Ignitors, Bontrager and etc - and never a problem. Now, since switching to the Flow, I've had nothing but burping and blowoffs. I've tried all of the tires mentioned above and none of them will stay on. Any ideas why a wheel that advertises running tubeless can't really run tubeless?
    Because they are a non-standard design, and they know it: http://www.notubes.com/support_warranty.php
    They have softened the warning a bit in the last few months, but it is still basically "if a tire does not work on our rims, it is not our fault."
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I've tried all of the tires mentioned above and none of them will stay on. Any ideas why a wheel that advertises running tubeless can't really run tubeless?
    It's probably because you tried used tires whose beads could be already stretched a bit. Might be worth trying a new unused tire and seeing how it does.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Tubeless or tubeless ready tires?

Just to check whether you have been using UST or tubeless ready tires as their bead design is different.
    The Flows are in my opinion better at keeping UST or tubeless ready tires locked in the bead/rim interface, rather than non UST ones.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sorry for the confusion. All of the tires were brand new. I meant that I've used those brands before.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

UST or not?

Sorry for the confusion. All of the tires were brand new. I meant that I've used those brands before.
    Just to clarify were those UST or standard tires?
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    My Flows work great with my standard 2.35 and 2.5 Muddy Marys.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Flows for me, 2.5 blue groove front, spec. captain 2.2 rear. No problems on an 08 reign, however, I'm a lightweight around 150 lbs. & don't do drops over 2 to 3'