mtbr member

Stan's Flow rims vs. DT Swiss 5.1 rims

Does anyone have any experience with both of these rims? i'm looking to build up a set of wheels and i'm trying to decide between these rims. i want a rim that's wider than the 819 but not too heavy. i know people say that the 5.1's are a little soft, that's why i want to know about the flow rims. they have close to the same profile and specs but i wonder about durability on both of these models. i weigh 215 with gear and want a all mountain wheel taht can take a bit of abuse.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    Does anyone have any experience with both of these rims? i'm looking to build up a set of wheels and i'm trying to decide between these rims. i want a rim that's wider than the 819 but not too heavy. i know people say that the 5.1's are a little soft, that's why i want to know about the flow rims. they have close to the same profile and specs but i wonder about durability on both of these models. i weigh 215 with gear and want a all mountain wheel taht can take a bit of abuse.
    I would suggest the search function - I must have posted in at least 5 threads on this subject!

mtbr member
    i did search but i didn't find much. if i had i wouldn't be asking

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have seen plenty of dents on 5.1's and Flows. If you want rims that are wide n' light they are going to get beat up. If you are concerned about a rims durabilty beacuse - you are larger than the ordinary rider, agressive rider, pick rough lines buy a heavier rim that will handle some abuse. I wonder if most riders could really feel the difference between a 500g vs. 600g rim ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I have seen plenty of dents on 5.1's and Flows. If you want rims that are wide n' light they are going to get beat up. If you are concerned about a rims durabilty beacuse - you are larger than the ordinary rider, agressive rider, pick rough lines buy a heavier rim that will handle some abuse. I wonder if most riders could really feel the difference between a 500g vs. 600g rim ?

i wonder trhat also. i'm no lightweight and i like to ride agressive, i just have a hard time deciding on a good wide rim. i also looked at sun mtx but i don't know anyone running them.

not so super...
    I've used both in wheels built by I9. Both are nice and the Flow might be a tad lighter but the DT just a tad less $. IMO it all boils down to whether you plan to go tubeless. The Flow works much better in tubeless (regular or UST tires) applications.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    how much do mavic 823 weigh? with nipple adapters and all. I talked with a guy this weekend that rides 823 with pro 2 's and said it was one of the best wheel sets he has owned. rides them XC to DH. The dude was 240lbs doing big gap jumps and 6 foot drops.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

rd3
    mtbr member
    Flows should work good for you application. I run a set on my Sinister Splinter AM bike and have had no probs with them. I would choose them over the 5.1s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm
    how much do mavic 823 weigh? with nipple adapters and all. I talked with a guy this weekend that rides 823 with pro 2 's and said it was one of the best wheel sets he has owned. rides them XC to DH. The dude was 240lbs doing big gap jumps and 6 foot drops.

About 700 g.
    I have them on pro 2's with ti spokes ant they are quite heavy.But are a good heavy rider and agressive rider ust rim.Use them for everything and they are very nice.
    I have a set of i9's with 5.1's and they have been very good.The rims are ok but i have bent 2 of them so badly they needed replacing.I used the stans dt kit and they do work quite well but are not as good as proper mavic ust's.

mtbr member
    Can you run a regular tire (non-UST) on the flows? Is one rim easier to mount a UST tire?

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Serotta b1kr
    Can you run a regular tire (non-UST) on the flows? Is one rim easier to mount a UST tire?

Yes you can run a regular (non-UST) tire on the Flows.

IMO the 5.1 (with rim strip) is a PITA to get a tire on.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Yes you can run a regular (non-UST) tire on the Flows.

IMO the 5.1 (with rim strip) is a PITA to get a tire on.
    I'm a tire whore and have never had a single mounting problem with the DT rims...1750's

rager
    Apr 2008
    Both companies are amazing; DT swiss has been in the business longer, but, dang, Stan the man is coming on way strong w/ improved technology in rim shape, materials, capabilities and performance. can't lose, really, but I'd go stan's flow. i have had both sets. Seen a lot more dents in the swiss. Not that stans is indestrucable...nothing is (but pick up a set of haven carbons if you can). But swiss rims seem to soft for me to pick them first.

usually cranky
    what about sun eq 27s or 29s? 29s are basiclly the same width as the flows and just a bit heavier but cheap.