Look at the time!

Stans Flow + Maxxis Minion UST?

When using the Stans Flow rim tubeless, is there any benefit to running a 2.5 Minion UST, rather than the regular 2.5 Dual Ply Minion?
    My understanding is that the Minion UST is almost the same as the regular Dual Ply, minus the Butyl insert (and with more air-tightness of course)? Is the bead different at all?

- Is there a higher risk of denting the rim when using the UST tire, or is the difference not noticeable?

- Will the UST tire fit the rim better/worse than the regular one? This is my DH front wheel, I am worried about rolling the tire off in a turn. I need to be able to run about 26-28psi.
    So far I have a 2.5 Dual Ply Minon with tube on this rim and no problems, other than a few little dents.

- How much sealant would I need if I went for the UST? I have the Stans Tape and valve. Thorns and puncture protection are not an issue here.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Look at the time!
    Anyone?

mountain biker
    I'm not typing from experience, but since you're lacking in responses I'll offer you this:

I've read that on UST rims (823's) people were having better luck running standard DH-casing Minions than those with a UST bead. It had something to do with the 823's sidewall being so tall and strong that it would cut the UST tire under certain conditions. The sidewall on the standard (DH) casing tires is thick and strong enough to withstand tubeless use. So as long as the bead will hold onto the the rims sidewall socket, they work well.

Now, Stans rims have a shorter sidewall, and are designed to work with non-UST beads. Given the above, I would say you would probably be better off giving the non-UST tire a try first. And use at least two full scoops of Stans.

But like I said, this is based on what I've read on-line rather than through real-world experience. Take it FWIW.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    its my understanding that BST (Stan's or any other) rims don't play nice with UST tires. But like sly, I don't have any direct experience there.

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by mobaar View Post
    its my understanding that BST (Stan's or any other) rims don't play nice with UST tires. But like sly, I don't have any direct experience there.
    Actually, I do have experience with that particular aspect. I have had no issues with burping UST-beaded tires on my Flows, and I've used High Rollers, Alberts, and Eskars on the Flows. I've used all of those, plus a Hans Dampf and a Michelin Wild Grip'R on Archs.

IME, the Stans rims handle UST beaded tires just fine. I've heard/read that they handle regular beaded tires just as well, but I don't know that first hand.
    Last edited by slyfink; 03-14-2012 at 12:41 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    Actually, I do have experience with that particular aspect. I have had no issues with burping UST-beaded tires on my Flows, and I've used High Rollers, Alberts, and Eskars on the Flows. I've used all of those, plus a Hans Dampf and a Michelin Wild Grip'R on Archs.

IME, the Stans rims handle UST beaded tires just fine. I've heard/read that they handle regular beaded tires just as well, but I don't know that first hand.
    Good to know. Maybe its an issue on the Crest and Arch Ex that have the smaller bead hook? Or maybe its fine on all of them!

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post

Thanks, that is what I am looking for. Now in your experience, are the UST tires a much tighter fit than the regular ones?

Reason I'm asking, I think the regular Minion works fine on the Flow im with tubes, but it isn't overly tight. I never had a problem with tubes, but when going tubeless I'd prefer it if the tire was absolutely bombproof-tight, even if it is a bit harder to mount.

My rear 823 works good with a regular Minion with 100ml of Stans. The tire was fairly tight but not too difficult to mount. No reason to go UST there.

mountain biker
    Can't say, sorry. I haven't fitted regular tires to my Stans rims. Only UST-beaded tires. If you give it a try, let us know how it works out?

thanks.