Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Stans Flow EX

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    No problems with Specialized Purgatory Control & Ground Control 26".

mtbr member

Stans Flow EX

just got my sealant and will be setting up my flow ex/conti mtn king 2.4 tubeless... these set came with the bike and I have about 70miles on it using tubes!

hope I don't have any issues

question: I'm 150 naked, for my 26"/2.4 setup what pressure should I be looking at, riding mostly singletrack, some rocky/technical descents and jumping off of rollers a few feet high

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    just got my sealant and will be setting up my flow ex/conti mtn king 2.4 tubeless... these set came with the bike and I have about 70miles on it using tubes!

hope I don't have any issues

question: I'm 150 naked, for my 26"/2.4 setup what pressure should I be looking at, riding mostly singletrack, some rocky/technical descents and jumping off of rollers a few feet high
    Based on Stans web site recommendation about 21 front and 24 rear.

NoTubes Tire Pressure

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    FWIW my new Arch EX 26" feel noticeably heavier than the Crests, but they're noticeably stronger too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Flow Ex in white/gray

Stans Flow EX-dsc_0189.jpg

GMV
    mtbr member
    Hi. Is there anyone running the Minion DHF 2.75 x 2.5 on Stans Flow Ex (25.5mm internal diameter)? How is the profile?

Old Fat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by GMV View Post
    Hi. Is there anyone running the Minion DHF 2.75 x 2.5 on Stans Flow Ex (25.5mm internal diameter)? How is the profile?
    The DHF 2.5 and DHR II 2.4 are both from their "WT" (wide trail) series. I'm running the DHR II on Flow EX rims with no trouble. Probably more rounded profile than designed, but still hooks-up when you lean on it.

BenTYYC
    2015 RMB Thunderbolt 790 MSL BC Edition

"Love the ride"

GMV
    mtbr member
    Thank you BenTYYC!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    What are builders / riders seeing re: seam alignment on Stan's rims (flow, arch, ex's or any others)?

Only did 2 or 3 build's on some of the Flow's...switched my set's back to wtb for quite a while and their seam alignment has been slightly off...consistently, this is making me want to go back to Stan's for a bit and find whose manufacturing has the most accurate aluminum joinery process

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    What are builders / riders seeing re: seam alignment on Stan's rims (flow, arch, ex's or any others)?

Only did 2 or 3 build's on some of the Flow's...switched my set's back to wtb for quite a while and their seam alignment has been slightly off...consistently, this is making me want to go back to Stan's for a bit and find whose manufacturing has the most accurate aluminum joinery process
    so far i haven't seen any alignment issues in stans rims (again, so far). however, i don't like how they finish up the join as it looks like a glob of weld that's just been flattened of some sort (ugly). another thing i don't like with stans rim are the vent holes scattered around. yes i understand that by 'vent' holes this is where smoke gets out during manufacturing process, but then other rim manufacturers don't have this. these holes are sources of leaks 'if' the tape isn't wide enough to cover the well end to end. it takes a bit of care and knack to install the tape if there are vent holes not to mention the higher risk of tape becoming undone when dismounting tires. also, the fact that they are using bst, tire choice is already limited - it's explicitly stated that they can't use wtb tcs or spez 2bliss.

other than those 3 points above, stans rim does the trick when it comes to tubeless - they do work. however, if i were to build my next set of wheelset or rims, i'd stay away from stans and go for easton arc or wtb tcs for alloy or derby for carbon if you got the $$$ to burn.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bentyyc View Post
    The DHF 2.5 and DHR II 2.4 are both from their "WT" (wide trail) series. I'm running the DHR II on Flow EX rims with no trouble. Probably more rounded profile than designed, but still hooks-up when you lean on it.

I've got the same rim/tire combo except in dual compound, works great!

Old Fat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Graveldad View Post
    I've got the same rim/tire combo except in dual compound, works great!
    In keeping with the popular "mullet" theme these days (business in the front, party in the back), I'm running the DHR II 2.4 in the front, paired with an Ardent EXO 2.4 in the back.

I like the lighter weight and lower rolling resistance of the Ardent in the rear. I'm tempted to try a Minion SS on the back wheel as well...
    BenTYYC
    2015 RMB Thunderbolt 790 MSL BC Edition

"Love the ride"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6