Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Stans Flow EX

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've had no issue with the tubed 27.5 Kenda Nevegal in 2.1 and 2.3, tubed 26x2.4 Conti trail king, tubeless 27.5 Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf in 2.25, tubed 27.5 Maxxis Ardent in 2.25, and tubeless 27.5 Maxxis High roller 2 in 2.3. The only tires that needed compressed air were the Schwalbe tires, all the others could be done with a floor pump.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trek551 View Post
    Either rims is overkill for theses tires as they are more suited for width 2.3 and up and aggressive riding. I'd suggest Arch EX if you want to keep your tires. If you are over 220lbs then yes go with the Flows but buy bigger tires.
    Just built some Flow EX's possibly the Arch could/should have been my choice. If i continue to use 2.1 -2.25 for a 210 rider on a 29er any adverse affect

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Stans Flow EX

Quote Originally Posted by plustria View Post
    Just built some Flow EX's possibly the Arch could/should have been my choice. If i continue to use 2.1 -2.25 for a 210 rider on a 29er any adverse affect
    I just built a hardtail 29er and picked flow ex's to use (also 200 lbs), anything with less width/stiffness flexes too much for me in a 29" wheel. If it was 26 I can get by with less but the big hoops flex more and for me I need to run a stiffer/wider rim because of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have the same flex issue currently running the Wtb I19. So with Flow running less than the recommended 2.3 tyre I shouldn't have any issues? I'm using a 2.25 front and 2.1 rear

mtbr member
    ^^^
    @ the last three posters. How are the 29er Flows working out for you?

Planning to spec a 29er wheel set for a new bike this year and on the fence between the Arch and the Flows. I also weigh about 200 lbs.

You all still liking your Flows?

Another Retro Grouch
    These rims are the best upgrade I've ever made to my bike since disc brakes and suspension. Running tubeless using 29er TR Nevegals and Minnon DHFs has been easy, I've only used a floor pump and even did a double tire change in the hotel parking lot at Crested Butte by myself. I use the green slime, no flats, just little green leaks where the thorns are. Dropping down the rock gardens in Moab past people fixing flats was nice too. I'm 220lbs soaking wet, riding on the CO front range, very technical. I switched from Mavic 319s, the Flows are wider, lighter and stiffer, what's not to like?

mtbpete
    Great rim choice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sorry if this has been covered - I tried to study the Flow EX threads, but am still a bit confused.

Will a 26" Flow EX work well WITH TUBES and regular tubed tires? I run either a 2.35 or 2.5 single-ply non-TR Nevegal up front and would like the option of continuing to run tubes as well as tubeless.

Choice is between a Mavic EX 721 and the Flow EX. I like the wide rim width of the Flow EX as well as the option to easily go tubeless (and weight savings), but want to make sure they're compatible with my regular tubed tires before I commit. Thanks for the help.

mtbpete
    Definitely go with the Flow EX! Yes, it can be used with tubes just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Awesome! Thanks Pete

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm thinking of having Arch EX Front (Specialized Purgatory Control 2.3"), Flow EX Rear (Specialized Ground Control 2.1") on a replacement wheel rebuild.

My thinking (going from Crest x 2 Specialized Purgatory Control f&r) is that the tyre profile of a 2.1 Ground Control on the wider Flow EX rim will be similar to a 2.3" Purgatory on a narrower Arch EX rim.

With the rear 2.1" tyre being 100g lighter than the 2.3" tyre, the 100g heavier rear rim will even out, but the bonus will be a stronger rear wheel.

Is this right or am I talking bollocks???

Cheers, TV :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sacked off the idea, sticking with Arch Ex.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Need Some Feedback,

I am rebuilding my Wheels and I am looking at the Stans Flow EX. I was talking to my local bike shop and the owner said he has had some problems with the Stans Flow EX blowing tires. I have read a few things on this thread about that happing with certain tires. I have Chris King Hubs and like the SCHWALBE TIRE - REAR 26X2.25 Racing Ralph SS Tubeless Ready and the SCHWALBE TIRE - FRONT 26X2.35 Hans Dampf SS Tubeless Ready.

Has anyone had experience with the SCHWALBE tires and the Stans Flow EX?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have racings ralphs front and rear with no issues on a 27.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Khomes7 - Thanks for the feedback. From the feedback I have recieved from othera is that the Schwable is fine with the Flew EX.
    Thanks again for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi everyone, I've seen various reports of tyres being too tight/too loose. Was just wondering what tyres people have experienced going on fairly easily. I've just got a pair of Flow EX ZTR rims and have failed to fit Continental Trail Kings and Schwalbe Magic Marys. There was just no way those tyres were going on the rim, it was a struggle just to get them half on and removing the half-on Magic Mary required the combined efforts of both me and my girlfriend.

I'm on the verge of selling the (unused rims) because I can't be bothered with buying tyre after tyre in the hope that one will fit.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    A tip for getting tires on.

When you get one side half on make sure it's in the very middle of the rim and work the other half on. I have been doing this and can get Schwalbe HD, Minion on without tire levers.

mtbpete
    If you have the 29in size Flow EX the Tubeless tires will most likely not fit. Also several tubeless ready tires will not fit such as WTB TCS tires and Hutchinson Tubeless ready tires. Any tube-type tire will fit with the correct mountain procedure. In my experience the Schwalbe TR tires will fit with the correct technique.

1. Start opposite the valve and mount the valve area last. The valve sticks out and if you mount that area first you will have to stretch further.

2. One you get one side mounted begin mounting the second side opposite the valve. Also, push the first bead out of the center of the rim to make room for the second bead. The closer to the center of the rim the bead is the easier the opposite side of the tire will wrap around the rim.

Valve area last!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the tips guys, will give it a go and see what happens. I'm using the 26" rims btw.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Finally managed to get the Contis on with liberal applications of soapy water, tyre lever abuse, and Changingleaf's recomended method. I don' think my hands will ever be the same again though.

One issue remain, the tyres now still don't sit properly. They are so tight that the bead doesn't fully push up against the rim edge, some of the bead stays in the middle groove of the rim. Obviously this leaves the tyre slightly misshapen when inflated.

Do beads stretch? Is it worth my riding them somewhere safe for a bit to try and stretch them out so they seat properly?

Also, I'm currently running with tubes (I don't have access to a tubeless kit and won't have for a while - tubes should be a temporary measure), are the tyres likely to fit properly without tubes?

Sorry for all the questions. I've never had to contend with these kind of tyre/wheel issues before - and I have had plenty of wheels and tyres in my time.

Thanks for all your help

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Alex,

I have just fitted Maxxis High Roller 2.4 (f) and Crossmark 2.25 (r) to Flow EX rims (26 inch). It was a real struggle, which involved bad language and veins popping out of m forehead.

The beads were not seated properly, so I deflated the tyres and pumped them up to near 40 PSI with a track pump. They then seated with a bit of a pop, as the beads spread out to the rim.

I am a bit concerned that if I get a flat I will be screwed. If that happens, I will need to look at going tubeless, as I heard flats are far less common.

The White Jeff W

Re: Stans Flow EX

No problems mounting 29er Schwalbe Hans Dampf and Nobby Nic TLR on Flow EX rims
    No moss...

mtbpete
    Tubeless is the way to go. It is harder to mount a tire with a tube in it on a Flow than mounting it without the tube. For easiest mounting make sure the bead is in the center channel of the rim and always mount the valve area last.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi Gribble,

I actually succeeded eventually in much the same way as you, and I too dread getting a flat.

I do intend to go tubeless in the future, but I don't have easy access to the materials required here and getting them mailed to me will be difficult.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I want to switch wheels and thinking about Flow EX or Arch EX. Here is my setup : 26" Ikon EXO/TR 2.2 Rear, Ardent EXO/TR 2.25 front, the tire sizes being 57-559 and 54/56-559. For these particular tire sizes and going tubeless, is the Flow EX wider rim traction better or am I best off with the Arch EX ? Thanks.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast