Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Stans Flow EX

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Is it possible to actually inflate a tire onto these rims without stans liquid?

So far I have tried floor pump, which CANNOT be possible - and an air compressor.
    The dip in the middle seems to be allowing way too much air between the tape and the tire bead.
    I have not pulled the core out yet, would that make much of a difference?

I'm trying to mount 2.35 Racing Raplph and Rocket Rons in folding from the Evo line.

I do intend to use stans, but won't have any for a while and I'd like to be able to continue building the bike.
    Last edited by roobydoo; 12-29-2012 at 06:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    I have not pulled the core out yet, would that make much of a difference?
    Removing the core makes HUGE difference when you are trying to pop the tire onto the wheel. The core restricts the airflow quite a lot, and at this point the volume flow is more important than high pressure.

You can pop and inflate the tire onto Flow (EX) rims no problem, then depending on the tire it can deflate with time if you don't use sealant. So if you seat other bead of the tire with inner tube first, then remove tube & inset UST valve, you should be able to pop the second bead with high volume floor pump also.

With compressor you should be able to pop almost any tire to the rim, if you remove the valve core!

But remember with the compressor, do not try in closed space, if the tire is too loose or tire bead damaged, it can easily pop also off the rim, which gives nice little boom effect and ringing ears if done indoors without hearing protection...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks, I have to go to the bike store to get the stans sealant anyways, I may just ask for their help.
    I seem to have misplaced my core tool, so asking for LBS help is likely the smartest route.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    Thanks, I have to go to the bike store to get the stans sealant anyways, I may just ask for their help.
    I seem to have misplaced my core tool, so asking for LBS help is likely the smartest route.
    Only $8 to do a Stans bulk fill at LBS.... not worth the trouble I caused myself.

mtbr member
    Definitely pull the core - huge difference in terms of air flow. Also you don't need a fancy tool to pull the core - try a leatherman (gently) to get it loose then just hand unscrew from there. Needle nose pliers would work as well afaik.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    just got flow ex. It took me more than 15 mins to mount a new wired high roller. Tire lever is a must for both mounting and dismounting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yep, mounting wired tires on ZTR rims is a PITA. Slightly less so when mounting folding tires.

mtbr member
    Just got myself a Flow EX and mounted a Specialized Clutch Control 2Bliss without a tube. It was a total breeze. Mounting and then inflating the tire with floor pump was simple without issues. Didn't need any soap water or alike. That being said, this is a well worn tire that I have used for quite some time now on my Bontrager Duster rim. I was very surprised....ease of use concerning tubeless mounting of the tire and getting it inflated were on par with my UST spec Duster rims. Will have to see how it holds up in real world riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just purchased a new pair of 26" wheels with Flow EX rims. Tried to mount my current Maxxis High roller 2.35 front and Ardent 2.25 rear, both non UST folders. Followed Stans tubeless method as directed, 25mm tape, soapy water, sealant, max 35PSI. Had the Ardent blow off the rim twice within the first hour. Now changed that for another used Ardent and fitted this without any soapy water, wasted one lot of sealant in the process. Checked the first tyre and rim and no damage found. Now im concerned about even trying to ride these.
    I have been using this tyre combo for some time on Crossmax STs and have never experienced a tyre blow off any rim before.
    I know Stans already recommends not using some Schwalbe tyres but im wondering just how many perfectly good tyres are incompatable with these rims.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Stans Flow EX

Quote Originally Posted by c.kempy View Post
    Just purchased a new pair of 26" wheels with Flow EX rims. Tried to mount my current Maxxis High roller 2.35 front and Ardent 2.25 rear, both non UST folders. Followed Stans tubeless method as directed, 25mm tape, soapy water, sealant, max 35PSI. Had the Ardent blow off the rim twice within the first hour. Now changed that for another used Ardent and fitted this without any soapy water, wasted one lot of sealant in the process. Checked the first tyre and rim and no damage found. Now im concerned about even trying to ride these.
    I have been using this tyre combo for some time on Crossmax STs and have never experienced a tyre blow off any rim before.
    I know Stans already recommends not using some Schwalbe tyres but im wondering just how many perfectly good tyres are incompatable with these rims.
    Lots, and you will not know until you try them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Been running Flow EX and Arch EX 29 wheel sets for over a year, XC and trail riding, hard tail and FS bikes. Tires used have included: Schwalbe racing Ralph 2.25 and 2.4, nobby nic 2.25 and 2.35, maxxis Crossmark 2.1, panaracer rampage 2.35. All tubeless with Stan's sealant. No mounting issues but some went on easier than others, all held air without popping off or burping. Can't say any of these tires were difficult, some needed the lever but think I could get by just using hands if necessary. I'm 180-185lbs without riding gear and run pressures between 22-24psi front and 25-28psi rear.

Just wanted to add some user experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Been running Flow EX and Arch EX 29 wheel sets for over a year, XC and trail riding, hard tail and FS bikes. Tires used have included: Schwalbe racing Ralph 2.25 and 2.4, nobby nic 2.25 and 2.35, maxxis Crossmark 2.1, panaracer rampage 2.35. All tubeless with Stan's sealant. No mounting issues but some went on easier than others, all held air without popping off or burping. Can't say any of these tires were difficult, some needed the lever but think I could get by just using hands if necessary. I'm 180-185lbs without riding gear and run pressures between 22-24psi front and 25-28psi rear.

Just wanted to add some user experience.

How did the tire profiles compare between the ArchEX and FlowEX? I'm specifically interested in the 2.35 Schwalbes. I'm considering the ArchEX in the rear for a little weight savings, but I'm pretty committed to larger-volume tires, wondering if I should just run the FlowEX.

Unfit Norwegian
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstews View Post
    How did the tire profiles compare between the ArchEX and FlowEX? I'm specifically interested in the 2.35 Schwalbes. I'm considering the ArchEX in the rear for a little weight savings, but I'm pretty committed to larger-volume tires, wondering if I should just run the FlowEX.

The Flows are 4.5mm wider, which will probably make the tires a good deal more stable at low pressures.

What's 90 grams anyway? I'd pick the Flow any day of the week, for a trail bike.

mtbpete
    I have a several years experience with all the NoTubes rims. The new BST is mostly just a shorter sidewall and smaller bead hook to allow the tire to expand more and give better tire performance - it's as close to a tubular as you can get. The tire remains burp-resistant from the horizontal bead seat. The tire will not burp unless the bead is pushed into the center channel of the rim, which takes a tremendous amount of force. All tires will fit on the 26in rims - Flow EX, Flow, Crest, Arch, Arch ex, etc. UST and TCS are harder to mount on the 26in rims because they have a smaller bead than tube type and even tubeless ready tires. WTB TCS tires fall into the UST category because they use a certified UST bead - tighter than tubeless ready. For 29 in wheels the UST standard is even smaller relative to the tube-type 29er rims so the UST and TCS tires are currently next to impossible to mount on NoTubes 29er rims. GEAX TNT tires used to be too tight, but GEAX has increased their bead to fit on NoTubes rims. All tubeless-ready tires except TCS mount fine on NoTubes rims - always mount the valve area last!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Dazed;10429324
    What's 90 grams anyway? [/QUOTE]

Anytime I think about it, that's what I end up telling myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstews View Post
    I'm running the Flows up front since I usually run a wider tire on the front. IMO front wheels take more hits and the stronger rim gives confidence. Haven't measured with calipers but 2.35/2.4 tires seem to be wider on the Flow compared to the Arch and as mentioned by others, lower pressure "feels" better on the wider rim. I don't see many mixed wheel sets but Flow front and Arch rear works for me.

mtbr member
    I've been using the 26" Flow EX for several months now as my front wheel using a well worn Specy Clutch Control 2.3 tubeless (which I was able to mount without issues and inflate with a floor pump) and my experience to date has been very positive. I am now running it as low as 18 psi without issues (I don't jump...2 feet of air max.). Yesterday, I mounted a brandnew Specy Butcher Control 2.3 tubeless also without any problems and then using my floor pump. So far I'm totally sold on the Flow EX. That being said, I would be hesitant to mount a tire with a standard non-tubeless bead.

Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    For 29 in wheels the UST standard is even smaller relative to the tube-type 29er rims so the UST and TCS tires are currently next to impossible to mount on NoTubes 29er rims.
    This is interesting... just looking at a wheel build and I didn't know this about the Flow Ex's. The tires I run are the WTB Bronson TCS 29... so I'm guessing no-go on the Flow Ex's? Anyone out there actually mount a Bronson TCS to a flow? My rim backup choice is a Velocity Blunt 35... so may have to go that route.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Stans Flow EX

I just mounted WTB Weirwolf TCS front and Conti Xking UST rear with no problems at all on my Flow EXs. Don't know if that helps

mtbr member
    Conti Trail King 2.4 Protection on Flow Ex.
    Easy on/off by hand.
    Straight from the Conti packaging and right on to the rim.
    Single layer wrap of Stan's tape.
    Could almost seat the bead with floor pump, but not quite. Needed a quick hit from the compressor.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Got my new wheels today, flow ex 29er with stan's rim tape.
    Installed a 2.2 Bronson WTB race 60tpi by hand easy and even got the tire inflated by floor pump without sealant. 2nd tire installation on the rim was even easier (Maxxis Apen 2.1) but couldn't inflate it with floor pump.
    HTH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by villeneuve80 View Post
    Got my new wheels today, flow ex 29er with stan's rim tape.
    Installed a 2.2 Bronson WTB race 60tpi by hand easy and even got the tire inflated by floor pump without sealant. 2nd tire installation on the rim was even easier (Maxxis Apen 2.1) but couldn't inflate it with floor pump.
    HTH
    That's why I only use TLR, 2Bliss, TNT etc. tires on my Flow rims. Non-tubeless tires can be hit and miss. Never had to use a compressor.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    I just mounted some Bontrager 29" XR3 Team issue 2.3 to some Flow EX's and had no issues. I seated the bead with a tube then pull have the tire off pulled the tube and put the valve in. put in sealant, put tire back on with soapy bead, and used a floor pump. No issues after sitting all night or the 3 rides I have on them.

I am 165 with gear and ran them at 20psi with no issues what so ever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by villeneuve80 View Post
    2nd tire installation on the rim was even easier (Maxxis Apen 2.1) but couldn't inflate it with floor pump.
    HTH
    finally even with a compressor maxxis aspen would not properly seat so I changed it for a maxxis ardent 2.25 LUST. I didn't install it myself though, my bike was already at my LBS but he said the installation wasn't so bad but he had to use levers... But after that it was easily seated and sealed with stan's and a floor pump...

Stans Flow EX-img_2181.jpg

Will see how hard they are to remove on the field !

mtbr member
    I thought Stans rims (in my case flow Ex) were supposed to be incompatible with WTB Tcs tires. But I had no problem mounting a WTB vigilante on my flows. I had to use a tire lever instead of just my thumbs, but overall a reasonably easy mount. It inflated and seated with a floor pump and the valve cores in. Maybe on the 27.5 size, wtb has changed their sizing?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast