Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Stans Flow EX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trenchDiggr View Post

You have used Arch EXs with 2bliss tires and had mounting issues? What issues? Tire was too tight to mount on the rim? Bead would not set? Bead would not seal?
    It was insanely tight. So much that Im buying Maxxis tires so if i get a flat out in the bush I won't have to walk home. I haven't tried using sealent yet.

Former Bike Wrench
    I run 2bliss tires on both the original Flows and the original Arches, and it could not been easier. Add a cup of sealant, pop the tire on, and pump it up with a floor pump. The bead sets immediately, first try. Same for all 4 2bliss tires I've mounted. Piece of cake.

You have used Arch EXs with 2bliss tires and had mounting issues? What issues? Tire was too tight to mount on the rim? Bead would not set? Bead would not seal?
    The second generation BST (Crest, Arch EX, Flow EX) has a larger inner wall diameter than the older 355, Arch, Flow, and Sun-Ringle wheels using the BST design. This makes the tires fit tighter. With a standard folding bead tire, you can stretch the bead enough by hand to mount them. Then the tight fit makes them more secure on the rim and easier to inflate. However tires with a UST spec bead (UST, many Tubeless Ready tires) have a thicker and stronger bead that is more resistant to stretching on purpose so they do not blow off UST spec rims. They also seem to work fine on first generation BST rims (I have run both 2Bliss and TLR tires on my Sun-Ringle Chargers with the BST profile without any issues). But trying to stretch that bead on a larger than UST spec inner wall diameter is near impossible to do in a shop and getting them off out on the trail to insert a tube if your sealant fails is probably not going to happen.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Cool. My Flows have been holding strong so far. Glad they come in all three wheel sizes AND 36h for 26"
    It doesn't say that anywhere that I can find. According to the website, the new EX Flow comes with the same spoke count as before(in 26 and 29), and that does not include a 26" x 36h.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by TaupoRider View Post
    It was insanely tight. So much that Im buying Maxxis tires so if i get a flat out in the bush I won't have to walk home. I haven't tried using sealent yet.
    You also had a cloth rim strip mounted which increases the diameter of the bead bench. A cloth rim strip would make UST tires difficult to mount on UST rims.

That is not to say it is not stupid tight, just that your example has issues.

P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    You also had a cloth rim strip mounted which increases the diameter of the bead bench. A cloth rim strip would make UST tires difficult to mount on UST rims.

That is not to say it is not stupid tight, just that your example has issues.

P
    I should have clarified that. I pulled it off after 5 minutes and used electrical tape. Still almost impossible to fit

eBiker
    I should have clarified that. I pulled it off after 5 minutes and used electrical tape. Still almost impossible to fit
    Thanks for the clarification! That helps.

P

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    The second generation BST (Crest, Arch EX, Flow EX) has a larger inner wall diameter than the older 355, Arch, Flow, and Sun-Ringle wheels using the BST design. This makes the tires fit tighter. With a standard folding bead tire, you can stretch the bead enough by hand to mount them. Then the tight fit makes them more secure on the rim and easier to inflate. However tires with a UST spec bead (UST, many Tubeless Ready tires) have a thicker and stronger bead that is more resistant to stretching on purpose so they do not blow off UST spec rims. They also seem to work fine on first generation BST rims (I have run both 2Bliss and TLR tires on my Sun-Ringle Chargers with the BST profile without any issues). But trying to stretch that bead on a larger than UST spec inner wall diameter is near impossible to do in a shop and getting them off out on the trail to insert a tube if your sealant fails is probably not going to happen.
    I guess that makes sense, let me make sure I understand. When mounting the last part of the bead on a Stan's rim, the opposite part of the tire (180 degrees opposed) that is already mounted on the rim is supposed to be in that little recessed trench in the center of the rim, right? That will give just a little more slack in last the part of the tire that you are trying to pull over the rim. You are saying that the diameter of that little trench is larger on the EX rims, so it is a tighter fit getting that last bit of bead over the edge of the rim?

Maybe everyone already knows this, but I was shown a little trick dealing with tight fitting tires a few years ago. After you mount most of the tire on the rim, with the unmounted part at 12 o'clock, slowly work both of your hands from the 6 o'clock position up through the 3 and 9 o'clock postions, then up to 12 o'clock, stretching the tire upwards and tightly against the rim as you go. I was amazed how much easier it was to get the last part of the tire over the rim using this simple technique. For what its worth.

mtbr member
    I guess that makes sense, let me make sure I understand. When mounting the last part of the bead on a Stan's rim, the opposite part of the tire (180 degrees opposed) that is already mounted on the rim is supposed to be in that little recessed trench in the center of the rim, right? That will give just a little more slack in last the part of the tire that you are trying to pull over the rim. You are saying that the diameter of that little trench is larger on the EX rims, so it is a tighter fit getting that last bit of bead over the edge of the rim?
    Nailed It

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I think its your technique that is the problem, not the new rims or tires. I just got a set of the Arch EX and specialized 2bliss tires that mounted normally. Yes tight but no more than is to be expected with a new tubeless ready tire. Once on the rim they pumped up easily with a floor pump. To suggest a design flaw is a bit over the top.

mtbr member
    I'm a little disappointed that no-one from NoTubes has chimed in to clear this issue up or at least explain the technical differences with these EX rims. It is obvious from a previous post that they have seen this thread. There have been comments/reports that the BSD of the new rims is larger than the previous incarnation. I have searched the NoTubes website but can not find any technical specifications.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have nothing but 2bliss tires and was going to try the new Flow EX. Can someone please confirm the 2bliss tire mounting issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I have nothing but 2bliss tires and was going to try the new Flow EX. Can someone please confirm the 2bliss tire mounting issue.
    It is not an issue, per se. Just difficult. They will still work.

mtbr member
    Its not difficult its very difficult. I would love to see someone trying to do it when their tires are wet or muddy

mtbr member
    Its not difficult its very difficult. I would love to see someone trying to do it when their tires are wet or muddy
    Seriously, once the tyre has been on the rim and the bead has stretched, it is not an issue. The initial fitting of the tyre is difficult, but subsequent removal and refitting is straight forward.

whistler
    Mar 2004
    another confirmation: new 2bliss tires (and others) are very tight on new arch ex rim, but easier once stretched out. hard to break the bead even with the tire deflated, which is impressive. carry a lever on rides. its tight but not impossible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Seriously, once the tyre has been on the rim and the bead has stretched, it is not an issue. The initial fitting of the tyre is difficult, but subsequent removal and refitting is straight forward.
    To be fair I haven't tried to refit the tires. I must give that a go.

mtbr member
    Nope Still tight as a nuns c***. Just popped on some Maxxis Ardent/Ignitor's and they went on with a single flick from a Tire Lever

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    "notubes_pete", Thank you for chiming in. From your user name and signature it's clear that you are employed by Satan's Notubes. I would appreciate some input from you on the reason for the change in the BST for these newer rims. Before changing to a 29" bike I would only use UST rims with either UST or TLR tires. Because of many user reviews, two years ago I had a wheelset built with a pair of Flow rims. I have found them to work as well as UST rims when used with TLR tires. I have no interest in using non-tubeless tires.

I would appreciate if you could confirm what the difference is with these new rims and that they are indeed designed to use non-tubeless tires. If in fact I am going to have problems mounting some of my favorite tires or TLR tires don't work as well, I would not be able to consider them for my next rim purchase.
    Hi, Yes I have worked at Stan's for a long time. This new BST is an improvement and UST tires will fit better on the new designed rim. Due to the shape of the Flow tires should mount easier then they do on the Crest or Arch EX.
    26" tires UST is not a problem. Some of the 29er tires might fit harder then others.
    Do you have the size and model of the TLR tires you are looking to fit?
    Pete @ Stan's NOTUBES

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notubes_pete View Post
    Hi, Yes I have worked at Stan's for a long time. This new BST is an improvement and UST tires will fit better on the new designed rim. Due to the shape of the Flow tires should mount easier then they do on the Crest or Arch EX.
    26" tires UST is not a problem. Some of the 29er tires might fit harder then others.
    Thanks for the reply. I only ride 29". I'm currently using a pair of Flow rims with Schwalbe Nobby Nic TLR 2.35 front and 2.25 rear. The 2.35 was quite easy to fit but the 2.25 was a little tight. It needed a plastic tire lever. Not an issue but if the new rims are harder to mount, I'd be a bit concerned. I've also used Specialized Purgatory 2Bliss 2.2. They were quite easy to fit. The problem is, who knows what tires I'd want to fit next time.

At this point I'd only get a set of Flow EX rims for new wheels. The Flows I have have been great but I'm a little concerned as I read quite a few people saying they have problems mounting TLR tires. So are the BSD of the EX rims bigger?
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I only ride 29". I'm currently using a pair of Flow rims with Schwalbe Nobby Nic TLR 2.35 front and 2.25 rear. The 2.35 was quite easy to fit but the 2.25 was a little tight. It needed a plastic tire lever. Not an issue but if the new rims are harder to mount, I'd be a bit concerned. I've also used Specialized Purgatory 2Bliss 2.2. They were quite easy to fit. The problem is, who knows what tires I'd want to fit next time.

At this point I'd only get a set of Flow EX rims for new wheels. The Flows I have have been great but I'm a little concerned as I read quite a few people saying they have problems mounting TLR tires. So are the BSD of the EX rims bigger?

The BSD is not bigger on the Flow EX 29er rims. The hook is shorter so they tires will mount with less trouble.
    Pete @ Stan's NOTUBES

g3h6o3
    How is the shape different from the Arch EX except for width?
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    The BSD is not bigger on the Flow EX 29er rims. The hook is shorter so the tires will mount with less trouble.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I then will not hesitate getting a set of Flow EX rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Stan's in the Technical Document ZTR Rim Setup Options has raised the spoke tension on Flow, ArchEX an others from 90 to 100KgF. The "33% thicker spoke bed for added pull-through strength" suggests a higher allowable tension, maybe 125.

mtbr member
    Specialized Butcher 2.3 Control, Eskar 2.3 Control and Purgatory Armadillo Elite 2.2. All in 26'ers with 2bliss bead of course.

Thx.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Stan's in the Technical Document ZTR Rim Setup Options has raised the spoke tension on Flow, ArchEX an others from 90 to 100KgF. The "33% thicker spoke bed for added pull-through strength" suggests a higher allowable tension, maybe 125.
    Hi, We are updating the document again. The Arch EX and Flow EX can use 100-125kg of tention.
    Pete @ Stan's NOTUBES

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast