Weight 380g
    ISO 622 x 21
    ERD 605

Velocity Blunt SL Rims
    Bead seat diameter: 622
    Weight: 420g
    ERD = 606

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Had both, and the Blunt SL felt just right. The stability and cornering of the Velocity is simply unreal. I removed the stock Shimano Deore XT M-765 hubs and replaced them with DT Swiss 240S hubs and Sapim CXRay spokes and the weight of 1483g cannot be beat.

All Velocity wheelsets are now proudly Made in USA....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    Which one and why?

ZTR Crest 29" - 32 Hole Black
    Weight 380g
    ISO 622 x 21
    ERD 605

Velocity Blunt SL Rims
    Bead seat diameter: 622
    Weight: 420g
    ERD = 606
    I have the same question! I have my grubby paws on a new pair of King hubs and I'm just trying to decide on which rims to go with. Anyone have some useful feedback?

:-)

One caveat of the Velocity rims is that they are quite soft. Somehow, I bent mine inwards, using a tire lever on a stubborn new tire. However, Velocity immediately sent me a new one, no questions asked.

Don't get me wrong - I also loved my Stans Crest wheels. I put over 2400 miles on them and they never went out of true....no even ONCE.
    Last edited by Zachariah; 02-26-2013 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    One caveat of the Velocity rims is that they are quite soft. Somehow, I bent mine inwards, using a tire lever on a stubborn new tire. However, Velocity immediately sent me a new one, no questions asked.

Don't get me wrong - I also loved my Stans Crest wheels. I put over 2400 miles on them and they never went out of true....no even ONCE.
    Sweet! Thanks for the info. It seems that I will probably like either one!

mtbr member
    The Stans rims use a very short sidewall and a larger inner diameter to run standard bead tires tubeless. Some work well while others not so well, it's best to search the internets for recommendations.

The Velocity rims use a Kirk Pacenti design that is a more "Tubeless Ready" friendly design. These work best with Tubeless Ready tires that have UST type beads. Speaking of Mr Pacenti he now sells his own rims that are light, welded, and eyeletted and don't have the "soft" reputation of the Velocity rims.

CL25 700c Rim Specifications:

* Size: 700c - ISO 622 (29er)
    * Width: 25.0mm
    * Inner bead width: 20mm
    * Section Height: 17mm
    * ERD: 607mm
    * Weight (700c):424g
    * Welded Construction

BikeLugs.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Damn you @Bike Whisperer, now I have another brand to throw in the mix... :-/ The TL28s also look like a good choice, and they're on sale for $59!!! :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Had both, and the Blunt SL felt just right. The stability and cornering of the Velocity is simply unreal. I removed the stock Shimano Deore XT M-765 hubs and replaced them with DT Swiss 240S hubs and Sapim CXRay spokes and the weight of 1483g cannot be beat.

All Velocity wheelsets are now proudly Made in USA....
    How are the blunts holding up? I was looking at that exact build with 240s and cx-rays. I ride pretty much only xc and if I get any air it's 15" off a log or rock. Are you running them tubeless and if so, what tires and strip?

I'm riding a 240/arch/dt comp setup now and was looking for that in between crest/arch build.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imiller View Post
    How are the blunts holding up? I was looking at that exact build with 240s and cx-rays. I ride pretty much only xc and if I get any air it's 15" off a log or rock. Are you running them tubeless and if so, what tires and strip?

I'm riding a 240/arch/dt comp setup now and was looking for that in between crest/arch build.

Thanks
    Yep, I run tubeless with NoTubes yellow strip and Kenda Slant Six DTC 2.2.....works great! The Blunt corners like its on rails, and feels very sure-footed out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Zachariah, thanks for the quick reply. Now I just have to wait and convince the wife.

mtbr member
    The crests are very flexy. I wouldnt consider them for any build, for any rider whos not racing. If you dont care about flexy wheels and just want the speed, you might want to consider crests. Id skip them completely and use a different rim, no matter what. Id take an arch EX over them if you insist on stans. The pacentis are a good call as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I like the width of the Blunts. Running high teens low twenties in front with 2.35 tire and no squirming. No durability problems, but I have good luck with wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I had a set of the Velocity Blunt SL's and do not recommend them for anything more than front tire use. As stated above, they are soft. Luckily, the ERD is just 1mm off from the Pacenti TL28, so I replaced the rear rim with that and it has held up well. MUCH stiffer than the Blunt SL.

I have no experience with an Arch, Crest, or CL-25. What I can tell you is that the TL-28 was just marginally less stiff than the Stans Flow (not Flow EX), and I mean just barely noticeable on the truing stand when building - not noticeable when riding.

Fred

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The crests are very flexy. I wouldnt consider them for any build, for any rider whos not racing. If you dont care about flexy wheels and just want the speed, you might want to consider crests. Id skip them completely and use a different rim, no matter what. Id take an arch EX over them if you insist on stans. The pacentis are a good call as well.
    Can you offer a suggested alternative that is relatively light? And less than $100 a pop?

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Curious if you built up Crests, ordered them from Stan's or elsewhere.

I have a set of Crests that were ordered from Stan's plus hand built 355's and Flows. None of these wheel sets are what I'd classify as flexy (though I definitely watch it with the 355's since they are race wheels with DT revolution spokes).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by morton.tj View Post
    Can you offer a suggested alternative that is relatively light? And less than $100 a pop?
    I have personally build wheels from Blunt SL, Flow (not the new EX), and Pacenti TL-28. I found the Blunt SL flexy and unsuitable for use as a rear wheel. YMMV because we are all different in so many ways. That said, I have been thoroughly pleased with both the Flow and Pacenti TL-28 rims. The TL-28's are lighter and have eyelets if either feature matters to you, though I believe you can still get the non-EX Flow rim at closeout pricing.

Fred

American Classic. Solid, but you'll pay slightly more for it. The All-Mountain 29er rim is a stout 28mm outside width. My next wheelset...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Curious if you built up Crests, ordered them from Stan's or elsewhere.

I have a set of Crests that were ordered from Stan's plus hand built 355's and Flows. None of these wheel sets are what I'd classify as flexy (though I definitely watch it with the 355's since they are race wheels with DT revolution spokes).
    Both. I had 2 factory sets from stans, one was so bad I couldnt get more than 75-80 kgf on the drive side before the spokes completely bottomed out! Had to order new spokes and redo them from scratch. At 110kgf built evenly, they were quite flexy.

The arche ex's hardly weigh more and they're so much stiffer. Its worth the weight imo. Im not a big fan of the profile, but the arches do build up nicely, roundly, and are very acceptably stiff. They make decent wheels. I dont think crests do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So, based on almost no technical knowledge and input from my LBS (read, a pretty good price on the rims) and a rider of similar ability and size, I went with Blunt SLs. I'm having them built on King hubs with DT Swiss double butted spokes by a pretty good wheel builder. I hope that I don't discover these rims are soft and flexy, but if I do, I guess it'll just be a lesson learned. I'm even getting new shoes to go with them and will be riding a Maxxis Ardent 2.25 front and a Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on the rear with some Salsa skewers.
    Now that they're ordered, I almost can't wait to take them out for a spin!!! Next week...next week.

Thanks, everyone, for the input and advice.

mtbr member
    So, based on almost no technical knowledge and input from my LBS (read, a pretty good price on the rims) and a rider of similar ability and size, I went with Blunt SLs. I'm having them built on King hubs with DT Swiss double butted spokes by a pretty good wheel builder. I hope that I don't discover these rims are soft and flexy, but if I do, I guess it'll just be a lesson learned. I'm even getting new shoes to go with them and will be riding a Maxxis Ardent 2.25 front and a Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on the rear with some Salsa skewers.
    Now that they're ordered, I almost can't wait to take them out for a spin!!! Next week...next week.

Thanks, everyone, for the input and advice.
    How have the rims been working out?
    Any issues?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    How have the rims been working out?
    Any issues?
    So, I forgot to update... The owner of my LBS called me a day after I ordered the wheels. He made me an offer on slightly used, by slightly used, I mean ridden for perhaps 30 minutes in total, set of King/Blunt 35, DT Swiss double-butted wheels. The Maxxis Ikon tires that were part of the deal still had nipples on them. The offer was far too good to pass up, so I'm riding wheels that are a bit heavier than the Blunt SLs, but I love them. No flex, super smooth hubs and snazzy to boot!
    Last edited by morton.tj; 08-08-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Correct a typo

squish, squish in da fish
    velocity's are very soft. i've had a sl for 2 wks before it was caved inward in multiple areas, no idea how that happened. got a blunt same thing happened and now i'm on a 35 which is 1 week old and has a small inward dent. ive been running a 35 up front for a year and no probs. so i'm off to find some new hoops & poss look at pacenti's.

I emailed Velocity USA about this, and they are looking into it. I suspect the soft rims were leftover stock, from when the rims were extruded and made Down Under. Even though it says Made in USA - Velocity can still legally use imported materials, as long as final assembly(lacing, dishing, tensioning) is all done here.

mtbr member

Stans Crest vs Velocity Blunt SL 29er rims

Stans Crest vs Velocity Blunt SL 29er rims-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374412775.251210.jpg

I just swapped from crest to blunt SL for a rear wheel. haven't ridden with the blunts yet but I did weigh them both. I had no idea the crests were that light. it's lighter than most road rims. both rims 29er.

mtbr member
    So, I forgot to update... The owner of my LBS called me a day after I ordered the wheels. He made me an offer on slightly used, by they, I mean ridden for perhaps 30 minutes in total, set of King/Blunt 35, DT Swiss double-butted wheels. The Maxxis Ikon tires that were part of the deal still had nipples on them. The offer was far too good to pass up, so I'm riding wheels that are a bit heavier than the Blunt SLs, but I love them. No flex, super smooth hubs and snazzy to boot!
    cool
    Blunt35's and Kings are exactly what I'm going to be building with.
    do you agree with the other posts that say they're soft? I'm not too sure what they mean by soft.
    maybe that the rim profile makes them susceptible to dents at the bead.
    Or, maybe they were just talking about the Blunt SL
    I'm not looking for a Downhill rim. Just looking for the extra width and willing to sacrifice a little weight.
    Do you notice the change in tire profile with the extra width?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast